advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
The MBP 13" arrived today but migration failed twice
Posted by: olnacl
Date: September 09, 2010 06:27PM
I tried it immediately from the startup chime from a CCC backup of my 15" MBP made on a USB drive this morning. Ran and got stuck at 5 minutes remaining - no HDD activity on the backup drive. Force quit the 13" and connected the 15" via FW 800 and started the migration again. This time it went through a couple screens and froze at 6 hours 51 minutes remaining - again, no HDD activity on the target. I let it run for another hour but no joy so I again force quit the 13." Now I'm doing a CCC backup with the 13" as a target on the 15" = seems to be clipping right along.

Funny though, I've migrated several times before with no problems = most recently just a couple days ago on the Wind Tunnel. Googling brought up lots of similar experiences with no real answers.

I guess it's the luck of the draw.

BTW, anyone have a link to a reliable eBay seller of AppleCare where they got the box - not just the number?

Writing this from the old, slow, but reliable MB 2.2 which I moved into the den. Nice not to hear the QS 933 fans running, or worse, the Wind Tunnel while the MBPs are busy!

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: The MBP 13" arrived today but migration failed twice
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: September 09, 2010 06:29PM
Run Disk Utility and fix your disk. If you have DiskWarrior, use that as well. I've had that fix non-Migrating Macs on occasion.
Date: September 09, 2010 06:35PM
Lew Zealand
Run Disk Utility and fix your disk. If you have DiskWarrior, use that as well. I've had that fix non-Migrating Macs on occasion.

Thanks, I'll put that in the mental file since I'm way past that stage now. If this fails, I'll wipe the HDD, reinstall the OS and try again using your suggestions.

Posted by: Doc
Date: September 09, 2010 06:44PM
I always safe-boot before running the MA.

Fewer things running = fewer things to cause trouble.
Date: September 09, 2010 06:54PM
Posting now from the 13" - clone worked perfectly and was way fast - tested a few apps incl M$ Office and all seems well. I'll remember the tips though and if I have to do this again, I'll run Disk Utility, Disk Warrior and then safe boot. Thanks!

Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 09, 2010 11:39PM
Run Software Update, too, before MA.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: September 10, 2010 02:05AM
That happened to my boss. Migration Assistant seems to stall out at an unreadable file and then just sits there. CCC will attempt to read the file, then move on, then come back to the file and try again. After the 2nd attempt, it just skips the file. You may want to check the CCC log and see if it skipped any files.
Date: September 10, 2010 06:12AM
Gareth
That happened to my boss. Migration Assistant seems to stall out at an unreadable file and then just sits there. CCC will attempt to read the file, then move on, then come back to the file and try again. After the 2nd attempt, it just skips the file. You may want to check the CCC log and see if it skipped any files.

Didn't seem to be the issue in my case - log from CCC

Total data in file set: 52.85 GB
Regular files copied: 322179
Directories: 153724
Regular files: 581154
Symlinks: 12392
Devices: 0
Special files: 43
Hard links: 1599
Extended attributes: 578446 (1.98 GB)

09/09 19:29:07 The backup operation has completed. Elapsed time: 00:42:52

Apparently no errors. And it's working fine as far as I can see. So far only CS3 complained and I expected that. Of course, in this case it was pretty much an Apples to Apples migration/backup - both machines are MBPs 2.4. I doubt it would have been as smooth with disparate machines. Of course I did have to change one computer name after the clone.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 185
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020