advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $157.51 ( +1.255 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Just bought a gel memory foam mattress topper.
Posted by: rgG
Date: September 10, 2010 12:11PM
I have not been sleeping well on our mattress for some time now. The mattress is only a few years old, so I know it isn't worn out, but my back has been hurting more and more lately, and it seems to be the mattress at fault. It has never been exactly what I was hoping for, but now it has gotten to be almost unbearable. It is an innerspring mattress with a pillow top on both sides. We flip it several times a year, and it is the same on both sides, so I decided to try a topper.

After reading till my eyes hurt, I decided to go with a new Gel-Foam topper from Costco. I couldn't get a lot of reviews, because it is a relatively new product, but I decided to give it a try. It was a little more expensive than I could have gotten a plain memory foam one online, but with Costco I can return it, if I hate it, and it does carry a 10 year warranty. Also, this one has foam that is manufactured in the USA, not China, and I have read horror stories about the smell of some of the Chinese ones, so I decided this might be a better idea.

Some people have complained that their toppers are too small for the bed, but this one is almost a little too large, absolutely no complaint about it being too small. It doesn't seem to smell hardly at all, and it has a nice cotton cover that fits over it like a mattress pad, so it can easily be removed for washing.

I haven't slept on it yet, but when I stretched out on it for a few minutes, it seemed pretty comfy. Does anyone here have this topper? If so, do you like it? Anyone want to chime in about toppers in general, tips, suggestions, etc.?

Here is what it is:

[sleepinnovations.com]

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Just bought a gel memory foam mattress topper.
Posted by: Pam
Date: September 10, 2010 12:27PM
Does it get hot? That's one of my complaints with the foam.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 10, 2010 12:28PM
We got a memory foam topper at Sam's a few years ago. It's AWESOME. Both of us have typical post-50 spinal issues, and Mrs. cbelt3 has much worse issues with her spine.

The only issue is the damn thing slips and slides on the top of the mattress, so we have to re-locate it at least two or three times a week.

And our mattress is 23 years old, and we have no reason to get a new one as a result. (Yes, we flip it every 6 months).
Date: September 10, 2010 12:37PM
Pam
Does it get hot? That's one of my complaints with the foam.

It is supposed to be better at dissipating heat, according to the package advertising, and that was another reason I decided to go with this one. We will have to wait and see if it is true.

Posted by: billb
Date: September 10, 2010 12:38PM
Saw one the other day with 4 sleep zones on it.
different cushioning for four areas of le body.

Sunk my hand into one area and heat would seem to be a problem to me .
Date: September 10, 2010 12:38PM
I couldn't find it online at Costco. Wonder if they've hit my store yet.
Posted by: hal
Date: September 10, 2010 12:40PM
give us an update in a week - I'd really like to hear how it's going after a spell..
Posted by: M>B>
Date: September 10, 2010 12:41PM
I have a memory foam mattress and the first thing that I purchased was a fitted waterproof and breathable mattress cover. It is basically a zippered bag that keeps it clean and most likely will extend its life, after all "accidents" do happen.

Also, I have a memory foam pillow that I like a lot.
Posted by: dmann
Date: September 10, 2010 12:47PM
Would definitely like to hear about the heat issue. I get VERY hot when I sleep so have stayed far away from memory foam toppers.

DM
Posted by: Buzz
Date: September 10, 2010 12:58PM
Memory foam gets too hot, plus for mobility challenged folks, it's actually very hard to move around on/in. Our solution was to go w/ a high end latex top mattress that doesn't get hot, and allows much easier movement than "normal" memory foam. I'm curious as to how this new fangled gel foam stuff works... if the heat dissipation issues are really resolved, maybe there's hope ease of movement, too...

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Posted by: jesse
Date: September 10, 2010 01:05PM
We had the same issue as cbelt3 with the pad slipping off the mattress, we solved this by buying the rubbery mesh that you put under throw rugs to keep them from slipping when you walk on them, we put it between the mattress and topper and this solved the problem for us.
Date: September 10, 2010 01:15PM
M>B>
I have a memory foam mattress and the first thing that I purchased was a fitted waterproof and breathable mattress cover. It is basically a zippered bag that keeps it clean and most likely will extend its life, after all "accidents" do happen.

Also, I have a memory foam pillow that I like a lot.

I had always read that encasing the foam topper with anything other than a sheet rendered it's effectiveness close to useless.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: September 10, 2010 01:23PM
Check this out:

[www.bedinabox.com]

I looked into this stuff thoroughly a couple of years ago, before I heard about these folks. They really seem to know what they're talking about. I'd (a) follow their advice in choosing what type of foam to buy, and (b) probably buy something from them.
Posted by: pdq
Date: September 10, 2010 01:32PM
We have one of those fancy (and enormously thick) mattresses with an memory foam layer built-in on top.

My wife thinks it's great, but we now have two ruts where we lay, one on either side, that don't (fully) go away even in the middle of the day. (I don't know if that's a "persistent memory" or a "faulty memory", foam-wise)

Anyway, in order to meet in the middle for snuggles, it's a bit of a climb for both of us...(but totally worth the effort!)
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 10, 2010 01:37PM
jesse
We had the same issue as cbelt3 with the pad slipping off the mattress, we solved this by buying the rubbery mesh that you put under throw rugs to keep them from slipping when you walk on them, we put it between the mattress and topper and this solved the problem for us.

That's an excellent idea. I wish I'd thought of that back when I used one of these toppers.

It is what it is.
Posted by: GeneL
Date: September 10, 2010 01:38PM
pdq
Anyway, in order to meet in the middle for snuggles, it's a bit of a climb for both of us...(but totally worth the effort!)

LOL! pdq.

But, as I always say, "that's just my opinion, I could be wrong." smiling smiley

GeneL
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 10, 2010 01:38PM
pdq
We have one of those fancy (and enormously thick) mattresses with an memory foam layer built-in on top.

My wife thinks it's great, but we now have two ruts where we lay, one on either side, that don't (fully) go away even in the middle of the day. (I don't know if that's a "persistent memory" or a "faulty memory", foam-wise)

Same here. To add insult to injury, the pillow top memory foam layer is on one side only, so we can't flip the mattress.

It is what it is.
Date: September 10, 2010 01:54PM
These are apparently available in-store only right now, and not online yet. I called my store first and they said they had them. They are not carrying the regular memory foam toppers in anything but the twin size, at my store.

I will post back after a bit and give a follow up on the heat issue. Living in the heat belt, if anyone is going to have an issue with the heat, it will be us. Hopefully the advertising that says it is not supposed to get hot like regular memory foam is correct. If not, Costco has a great return policy. How I would ever get it back in the box, however, I have no idea. grinning smiley

Posted by: PeterB
Date: September 10, 2010 02:06PM
I have a Costco topper on a futon mattress that already has memory foam: [forums.macresource.com]

... as mentioned, you can use a piece of nonslip material between the topper and the mattress. Also, I bought fitted sheets that are extra deep, and so the sheets encase both the regular mattress and the topper (which also each have their own sheet or casing-- in the case of the topper, they gave you a veloured zippered casing that works very well).

About the heat issue, it's less of an issue with more than one layer between you and the foam, but of course this reduces the efficiency of the foam (but not by very much) ... if you put more sheets between you and the foam, you still get the "yield" of the memory foam, but without as much softness, if that makes sense.

I'm actually having more of an issue with the memory foam pillow that I got on the advice of others here awhile back, in terms of heat problems... but probably again it'd be a non-issue if I use more than one pillowcase.

Edit: oh, and the heat issue is actually beneficial, in terms of keeping you warm on colder nights. It's only during the hotter months that it's really a problem.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2010 02:06PM by PeterB.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: September 10, 2010 02:17PM
do you feel like you remember more in the morning...?

grinning smiley
Posted by: maco
Date: September 10, 2010 02:23PM
One thing to keep in mind, some people have allergic reactions to memory foam. My wife didn't at first, but about 1-1/2 later. a severe reaction.

[news.softpedia.com]

[www.chem-tox.com]
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 10, 2010 02:52PM
That non-slip stuff tip is awesome.. I'm going to have to try that. Thanks !

(Smacks head) I mean, we have that stuff under lots of our hallway rugs.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: September 10, 2010 04:36PM
pdq

Rotate the mattress 180 degrees a few times a year (spin horizontally - head becomes foot and vice versa.)

That will mitigate the "ruts" a fair amount.
Date: September 10, 2010 06:25PM
Hehe, went to Costco, they had them, and I bought one. I'll know after tonight about heat and what if any difference the gel makes for comfort. smiling smiley
Date: September 10, 2010 06:39PM
Pam
Hehe, went to Costco, they had them, and I bought one. I'll know after tonight about heat and what if any difference the gel makes for comfort. smiling smiley

Hey, I should get a commission on the sale. grinning smiley

We can compare notes in a few days and see if we have the same impressions of the product.

Posted by: decay
Date: September 10, 2010 07:20PM
DeusxMac
pdq

Rotate the mattress 180 degrees a few times a year (spin horizontally - head becomes foot and vice versa.)

That will mitigate the "ruts" a fair amount.
we have to rotate 180 top top bottom because our King Koil has memory foam on just one side. we turn ours once a month!

---
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: September 10, 2010 07:28PM
Hospice uses Gel toppers on their patients beds, they say it cuts down on sore spots and bed sores.

Grateful11
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: September 10, 2010 07:32PM
anonymouse1
Check this out:

[www.bedinabox.com]

I looked into this stuff thoroughly a couple of years ago, before I heard about these folks. They really seem to know what they're talking about. I'd (a) follow their advice in choosing what type of foam to buy, and (b) probably buy something from them.

Both of my sisters have Memory Foam mattresses from Bedinabox.com and both of them swear by them.
One sisters husband made his own foundation and the other ordered hers with the mattress.

I'm thinking of ordering the Full size "PacBamboo Plus 13 Memory Foam Mattress" for myself.

Grateful11

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2010 07:37PM by Grateful11.
I get it...
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 11, 2010 01:18AM
the same impressions

...gel memory foam

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 284
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015