advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
About to order washer/dryer. Sears.com a good idea?
Posted by: volcs0
Date: September 19, 2010 12:07PM
We're finally updating our 10 year-old washer and gas dryer. We hate them - they eat clothes, they are small capacity (we did not buy them - they came with the condo).
Based on our layout, we need models that stack. But based on our family (four kids and my sister), we also need large capacity. Fortunately, it appears that the front-loaders allow stacking.

Based on CR and some reading, we think these models look pretty decent.
(links are just for the washers)

Kenmore 4027
[www.kenmore.com]
[www.sears.com]

LG WM2301
[www.sears.com]
[www.lg.com]

So, is Sears a good bet? Buy online? Is their delivery charge reasonable? What about the gas hookup - do they do it, or do I hire a plumber? Do they customarily haul away the old machines? Other stuff I need to consider?

Please advise.

(I know there are a lot of washer / dryer threads here - I just want to get people's advice about the end-game).
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: About to order washer/dryer. Sears.com a good idea?
Posted by: Acer
Date: September 19, 2010 12:18PM
Gas dryer should be a matter of connecting the flexible hose, assuming everything lines up about the same as the old set. Hardest part may locating and turning the gas shut-off. If they were not stacking before, but are now, you may need some assistance with the gas, as (I believe) the dryer goes on top.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2010 12:20PM by Acer.
Posted by: Carm
Date: September 19, 2010 12:34PM
Do you have a local sears? If you do, they send out installers. If you don't, you might have to call a local installer. Call them to find out.
Sears might have a local installer that they will contact for you. Pickup of old appliances is usually what they do and included in the price, same as hookup, connectors, etc are extra.
Joe

Edit: To stack, you will need the stacking kit ( or whatever it is called.) usually sold separately.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2010 12:36PM by Carm.
Posted by: Black
Date: September 19, 2010 12:38PM
If you have ever read any of the expert advice given here by modelamac and others you would not be considering Kenmore anything.
Typically, dryer delivery folks will do the hook-up too.
I think Sears has an extra charge for that (they'll also try to sell you a new "kit" for hook-up.)

You absolutely do want to move up to steel-braided washer hoses if you don't have them already-- washer hose failures are said to be the number one home damage claim.

Sorry I can't tell you anything you're actually asking :-)

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2010 12:41PM by Black.
Posted by: CJsNvrUrly
Date: September 19, 2010 12:50PM
We went with Samsung front loaders from Lowe's. I think they were running a special that included free delivery and set up. (Of course, it didn't hurt that our daughter works there.) I think they would've hauled off the old ones, but we kept them to give to our son. Samsungs are rated very well.

bunny smileyCentral VA
Date: September 19, 2010 01:09PM
OK... we'll check out Samsungs.

I only ask about Sears because, well, my old-fashioned parents seem to think you should buy everything from Sears.

As far as Kenmore are concerned, I'm just going off of the CR "data" and online reviews. If there are data that suggest that Kenmore are unreliable, I certainly have no allegiance to the brand.
Date: September 19, 2010 01:22PM
volcs0

I only ask about Sears because, well, my old-fashioned parents seem to think you should buy everything from Sears.

As far as Kenmore are concerned, I'm just going off of the CR "data" and online reviews. If there are data that suggest that Kenmore are unreliable, I certainly have no allegiance to the brand.

IIRC the complain against Kenmore per modelamac is that you're getting a GE or Whirlpool under the hood, which is a big "avoid."

I think I may be in the basement of Sears downtown in about 2 hours . . .

You should consider attending the big Riccardo Muti inaugural event:

[cso.org]

Posted by: SDGuy
Date: September 19, 2010 01:34PM
Whirlpool is "avoid"?!!??
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: September 19, 2010 01:37PM
SDGuy

If you do enough "research", they all hit the avoid column.
Date: September 19, 2010 01:40PM
AlphaDog
SDGuy

Oops . . .no, I just searched and it seems mm likes Whirlpool.
But I'm pretty sure Kenmores are "avoid" because they are likely to be GE under the hood. Well. 80% sure. Or maybe 63% . . .

Posted by: lazydays
Date: September 19, 2010 02:03PM
I have had good luck at Best Buy for buying appliances. I usually go in, tell them the best deal I've found anywhere else in town (no advertisement necessary) and they beat that deal. I've been very pleased.
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: September 19, 2010 02:04PM
Black
AlphaDog
SDGuy

Oops . . .no, I just searched and it seems mm likes Whirlpool.
But I'm pretty sure Kenmores are "avoid" because they are likely to be GE under the hood. Well. 80% sure. Or maybe 63% . . .

Uh huh; exactly!

With a couple of exceptions, I've learned to shop by feature, and that's actually turned out to be a pretty good strategy through the years. I don't remember ever having been stung badly, although there has been some variation in reliability which also seems tied to level of use. A stove and fridge, for example, last much longer than a washer or dryer, but I figure that's most likely because I'm very clean but hate to cook. smiling smiley
Date: September 19, 2010 02:07PM
Black
volcs0

IIRC the complain against Kenmore per modelamac is that you're getting a GE or Whirlpool under the hood, which is a big "avoid."

[cso.org]

I saw the "CSO" lights up on the Aon center last night... We have pre-arranged dinner plans that we can't really back out of.
Date: September 19, 2010 02:08PM
So....

Anyone have anything to say about sears.com and their delivery / hookup / haul away service?
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 19, 2010 03:50PM
LG and Samsung are highly rated. I went with Samsung when I purchased a W/D last year and haven't regretted it.

Kenmore can be good or bad. You have to research the specific model you're considering to determine the actual manufacturer and whether that model is recommended or not.

If there is a Sears Outlet near you, you can save $$$; check their website for locations. Yes, they carry other models besides Kenmore.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: September 19, 2010 04:24PM
N-OS X-tasy!

If there is a Sears Outlet near you, you can save $$$; check their website for locations. Yes, they carry other models besides Kenmore.

I couldn't agree more they are opening Sears Outlets around here inside Big K's(Big Kmarts). We were in one
last week and they had washer and dryers out the wazoo new and returns. Many were half price and still in the boxes.

Grateful11
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: September 19, 2010 04:43PM
Had good luck with Best Buy.

I've heard some amazing good stories about Sears outlet.
Posted by: zeppo2
Date: September 19, 2010 04:49PM
I won't shop at Sears anymore for anything because of my experience with their top of the line Calypso washing machine. They refused to do anything to help us when it broke right after warranty ended from a problem that they acknowledged was a flaw with the machine (and was documented all over the web). Basically they told us "yeah, we sold you a piece of junk that was made with an error, but luckily for us it's a month after the warranty". Yes, it was past the warranty, but what happened to standing behind what you sell? Now we only buy from Costco if possible, or with Amex so we get the extended warranty.
Posted by: (vikm)
Date: September 19, 2010 05:24PM
Once you decide on a brand/model, you should do yourself a favor and at least see what the local warehouse type discounters can offer you. I almost bit on a new washer and dryer from Sears during their recent F&F sale. Was going to open up a card account to get an extra 10%, too. The sale ended that night and I was kinda feeling pressured but took a breath and didn't bite. Good thing, too. I found a local reputable place that will offer the same units at a better price than what Sears was going to do after all of the sale discounts. They were also adding in free delivery.

If you decide to do Sears, at the time I was looking Kenmore got a 15% discount instead of the then 10% on other brands.

Our previous W/D was a Kenmore from Sears. We bought 14 years ago. Never had a problem and they ran like champs. My wife constantly does wash (only for two people, though). My friend had the exact same models and they only lasted 6 years until a sensor gave out. Flooded his laundry room! It seems like a crap shoot on brands but for the price I'd go with Kenmore again if they made what we needed.

Oh, and my dad also told me to "just go to Sears". smiling smiley

Good luck.
Posted by: SurfMacJpMtb
Date: September 19, 2010 05:59PM
Recently bought an electric Kenmore dryer online for pick-up from my local store. It was a quick, painless experience. The dryer has functioned per design. My previous gas Kenmore dryer lasted over 25 years. The gas models were not in stock for immediate pick-up. Fortunately, in my Texas town, large items are still picked up by the trash people.

Long time Mac user
Posted by: Carm
Date: September 19, 2010 06:03PM
volcs0
So....

Anyone have anything to say about sears.com and their delivery / hookup / haul away service?

Call customer service and ask. [services.sears.com]
Call us: 1-800-349-4358 Home Services and Repairs 1-800-4-MY-HOME Part Orders and Inquiries 1-800-366-PART Product Installation 1-800-326-8738
Date: September 19, 2010 09:44PM
volcs0
Black
volcs0

[cso.org]

I saw the "CSO" lights up on the Aon center last night... We have pre-arranged dinner plans that we can't really back out of.

It was absolutely amazing-- huge huge huge crowds, great surprise fireworks shooting out of the perimeter of the pavillion at the end.
Very proud of this city tonight.

Posted by: srf1957
Date: September 19, 2010 10:42PM
New model sears washer and dryers are switching to lg and samsung for their front load w/d. free del 90% of time over$399
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 20, 2010 01:13AM
srf1957
New model sears washer and dryers are switching to lg and samsung for their front load w/d. free del 90% of time over$399

English, please?

It is what it is.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: September 20, 2010 06:20AM
If you are considering foreign ( LG, etc.) you had better find out how easy it is to get parts and service in your area. I can get parts only for domestic appliances locally. All other must be done online or through factory authorized sources, which tend to be very pricey.

I've had to turn away old customers who bought LG & Samsung due to inability to get parts for them.

Remember how when you were little
you could just rip off your diaper and
just run around naked and everyone
thought it was so cute and funny?

Anyway, I need bail money.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2010 06:22AM by modelamac.
Date: September 20, 2010 07:18AM
modelamac
If you are considering foreign ( LG, etc.) you had better find out how easy it is to get parts and service in your area. I can get parts only for domestic appliances locally. All other must be done online or through factory authorized sources, which tend to be very pricey.

I've had to turn away old customers who bought LG & Samsung due to inability to get parts for them.

We live in Chicago - hopefully getting parts would not be a problem.

We got paralyzed last night trying to decide between three $800-$900 models (LG, Samsung, Kenmore) at Sears (they had a 5% sale through this morning). In the end, we decided to wait and make a more calm decision. But we do have a "paralysis of analysis" right now.

We'll poke around abt.com and HD/Lowed as well.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: September 20, 2010 10:48AM
My parents had a Home Depot order and delivery and they removed the older washer for free (or a nominal charge). Sears (around here) charges $70 for the delivery and I'm not sure if that includes the removal of the replaced unit.

I'm on the verge of getting a Samsung. What AlphaDog says seems to ring true, however, especially with washers; there is no "great" rated washer on the interwebs.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: September 22, 2010 06:33PM
volcs0
So....

I got a Sears Kenmore washer and dryer about five years ago and had them delivered and the old units hauled away. I don't recall if delivery/haul-away was free but I was pleased with the service and have been happy with the washer and dryer since. However, I don't have nearly as much laundry to do.

Posted by: brandthin
Date: May 16, 2013 06:11PM
I'm kind of a newbie too in the whole washing machine buying category so I need a little bit of help here! I want a nice washer but I also don't want to spend a billion dollars (doesn't everybody?) So I was hoping for a little advice and suggestions about buying a little bit cheaper washer that's still pretty high quality if that makes sense. I found this site http://www.squidoo.com/front-load-vs-top-load-washers and it was good to read some information about each washer. I'm thinking about buying the LG WT5070 but i'm not sure if that's the best washer for the price. Any help or suggestions would be great, thanks guys.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 197
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020