Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $524.94 ( +5.93 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
light bulb base sizes
Posted by: lazydays
Date: September 26, 2010 11:31PM
Don't ask me why i want to know about bulb base sizes, I just do. :-)

From what I gather the most common types for the home are night light (?), chandelier, intermediate, medium (standard). I've also seen codes such as F15, CA10 etc but I can't figure out what is what. Limited google searching is confusing me. Who can set me straight?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: light bulb base sizes
Posted by: Carm
Date: September 26, 2010 11:37PM
[www.horrorseek.com]
[www.taillightking.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2010 11:39PM by Carm.
Posted by: lazydays
Date: September 27, 2010 12:02AM
Has anyone tried converting their interior lights to led? The reviews on amazon are usually in the 2-3 star range which doesn't seem very good. I would need:
chandelier candle base, 40 watt, ceiling fan
intermediate base, 60 watt, kitchen ceiling fan
standard base, 25 watt, outside lighting
standard base, 65 watt, flood
night lights
Posted by: M>B>
Date: September 27, 2010 12:18AM
[www.bulbman.com]
Posted by: Black
Date: September 27, 2010 12:39AM
lazydays
Has anyone tried converting their interior lights to led? The reviews on amazon are usually in the 2-3 star range which doesn't seem very good. I would need:
chandelier candle base, 40 watt, ceiling fan
intermediate base, 60 watt, kitchen ceiling fan
standard base, 25 watt, outside lighting
standard base, 65 watt, flood
night lights

I did. They're not ready for prime time. Even with a 5-light chandelier you'd need at least one incandescent with 4 LEDs to get the room reasonably bright.

MR/F Guestmap: [www.mapservices.org]
Posted by: Black
Date: September 27, 2010 12:42AM
lazydays
Don't ask me why i want to know about bulb base sizes, I just do. :-)

From what I gather the most common types for the home are night light (?), chandelier, intermediate, medium (standard). I've also seen codes such as F15, CA10 etc but I can't figure out what is what. Limited google searching is confusing me. Who can set me straight?

I believe candelabra and night light are the same.
Next up-- intermediate-- commonly found in newer ceiling fixtures (and some appliances).
Then: medium (standard).
Then: Mogul (most of us will never need one of these).

Carm's first link says it all:
[www.horrorseek.com]

MR/F Guestmap: [www.mapservices.org]
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 27, 2010 10:22AM
I replaced some downward pointing spotlights with LED lights with good results, but the direct lighting LED bulbs just aren't up to the task of matching lumens that incandescents provide. CFL's are close to the lumen output.

Most people rate LED bulbs by using the maker's marketing wonk's 'equivalent watts'. Lumens is the right measure.

The 'chip' LED design is a better source for direct lighting in terms of lumens per square mm emitted. It's just that properly designed bulbs are expensive.. prohibitively so at this time. Cheapo "LED" bulbs use an array of old school LED's. The problem with those beasts is that they have a lens in the device which focuses the light about 10-20 " from the device. NOT what you want in an area lighting bulb.
Date: September 27, 2010 10:58AM
It will be another couple of years before the ultra high output models hit retail. They have really good efficiency now with a small choice of color temp. and marginal reliability. I have a couple in service to light dark areas at night. The 1.5 W LED standard socket bulbs I bought put out a surprising amount of light. None that I have seen are really reading light quality yet and I am waiting to see what kind of life they have.

in tha 510.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login