advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Netflix and Android?
Posted by: kj4btkljv
Date: November 05, 2010 10:28AM
Anybody have any guesses as to why Netflix isn't available on the Android platform yet? I guess it's just "coming soon".

[www.downloadsquad.com]

My brother got a gift subscription, but the only device he has right now that has any hope of instant streaming is his Android phone. But, no app, obviously.

Maybe for Christmas I'll get him one of the little Roku HD boxes.

Jeff
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Netflix and Android?
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: November 05, 2010 11:52AM
kj4btkljv
Maybe for Christmas I'll get him one of the little Roku HD boxes.

...or an Apple TV. Eventually he'll get an iOS device then it's all about AirPlay.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: November 05, 2010 12:59PM
The Apple TV 2.0 isn't that great. Even with all its power (compared to a Roku box or integrated TV solution) it can't handle large queues very well. Not to mention I have more Netflix streaming problems with the Apple TV 2.0 than my Wii, Vizio TV, Sony TV, Roku, and iPod touch (not sure why the iOS powered iPod touch works better but it does).

I do agree that Air Play will make a world of difference, assuming Apple gets around to actually fixing the current Apple TV bugs.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2010 01:38PM by silvarios.
Posted by: vision63
Date: November 05, 2010 01:17PM
silvarios
The Apple TV 2.0 isn't that great. Even with all its power (compared to a Roku box or integrated TV solution) it can't handle large queues very well. Not to mention I have more Netflix streaming problems with the Apple TV 2.0 than my Wii, Vizio TV, Sony TV, Roku, and iPod touch (not sure why the iOS powered iPod touch works better but it does).

I do agree that Air Play will make a world of difference, assuming Apple gets around to actually fixing the current bugs.

Dang homie. You are geared up for sure.
Date: November 05, 2010 02:01PM
I have small TVs. ;)

Seriously, both the Sony and the Vizio are 22". The Sony was $300 minus a $200 discount from AMEX points. The Vizio was $229 I think. Roku was $100. Wii $150, iPod touch $150, and the Apple TV is a gift that I'm configuring (I wanted to keep it, but the Netflix bugs are killing me). Let me tell you, two years of small purchases can really outfit a home for entertainment.

Remember kids, never pay retail and space out your upgrade plans for a couple years, three is better (another example, my Mac mini media server was purchased three years ago).

Nathan
Posted by: TheToddler
Date: November 05, 2010 02:07PM
No problems with Apple TV here .... anxiously awaiting the Airplay update to see how that pans out.
Date: November 05, 2010 02:09PM
TheToddler
No problems with Apple TV here .... anxiously awaiting the Airplay update to see how that pans out.

How large is your Queue?
Posted by: TheToddler
Date: November 05, 2010 02:14PM
Couple of hundred in regular, maybe 100 or so in "watch now" ... maybe that's not large, but it'll be a long time before I get through it all ...
Posted by: vision63
Date: November 05, 2010 03:06PM
silvarios
I have small TVs. ;)

Seriously, both the Sony and the Vizio are 22". The Sony was $300 minus a $200 discount from AMEX points. The Vizio was $229 I think. Roku was $100. Wii $150, iPod touch $150, and the Apple TV is a gift that I'm configuring (I wanted to keep it, but the Netflix bugs are killing me). Let me tell you, two years of small purchases can really outfit a home for entertainment.

Remember kids, never pay retail and space out your upgrade plans for a couple years, three is better (another example, my Mac mini media server was purchased three years ago).

Nathan

Your words are my now my creed. I need more stuff. I can't even figure out how to get a high def box for the upstairs Directv television, which is standard def.
Date: November 05, 2010 05:31PM
TheToddler
Couple of hundred in regular, maybe 100 or so in "watch now" ... maybe that's not large, but it'll be a long time before I get through it all ...

I had 320 or so in instant streaming. The Apple TV couldn't handle it. Perhaps the high res images were too much. Sometimes the other devices have trouble loading the artwork if I scroll through quickly, but I don't usually have a problem where the queue utterly fails to load, except on the Apple TV.

I work from home, I have a young daughter (I keep 60 shows on Netflix just for her), and my girlfriend and I don't watch regular TV. Needless to say, we add a lot of movies/shows. Takes us a while to get through all of them.

Nathan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 248
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020