advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $100.89 ( -0.65 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Any tips to fix the pneumatic cylinder on office chairs?
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 07, 2010 10:17PM
Anybody fix a chairs pneumatic cylinder?

I can buy a complete chair for about $35 or I can spend a bit more than that for each with shipping for replacement pneumatic cylinders for a couple of office chairs that will no longer stay suspended. Both chairs use the same cylinder which is probably an almost universal part. I hate to toss out these otherwise good chairs but that's where I am headed.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Any tips to fix the pneumatic cylinder on office chairs?
Posted by: GeneL
Date: November 07, 2010 10:35PM
Speedy
Anybody fix a chairs pneumatic cylinder?

I can buy a complete chair for about $35 or I can spend a bit more than that for each with shipping for replacement pneumatic cylinders for a couple of office chairs that will no longer stay suspended. Both chairs use the same cylinder which is probably an almost universal part. I hate to toss out these otherwise good chairs but that's where I am headed.

That's something I've wondered about, myself. My desk chair keeps sinking down after I adjust it upwards, again and again. Very frustrating.

I'd love to find an easy fix, if there is one.

GeneL
Posted by: Buzz
Date: November 07, 2010 10:44PM
those puppies have been dumpster diving fare for years... if you really like the chairs, keep an eye open around the refuse area of large office buildings; you can usually find stuff there... you might even find some better/nicer chairs in addition to the usual broken ones that you can grab the cylinders from... definitely not an item worth actually buying. 2ยข
Posted by: lost in space
Date: November 07, 2010 11:08PM
I went through a place online, somewhere in NY, that had all sorts of chair cylinders. Replacement process wasn't too bad, less than an hour.
Posted by: Black
Date: November 07, 2010 11:26PM
Drive a 3/8" hole through the piece that extends (or used to extend) in the highest position, and 'pin' it with a bolt.
Done.

MR/F Guestmap: [www.mapservices.org]
Date: November 08, 2010 12:59AM
Thanks for the suggestions. All are good.

>>

Not a bad thought! The chairs don't really need to go up and down, just stay at the 'right' height. Cheap, easy and convenient.

Black
Drive a 3/8" hole through the piece that extends (or used to extend) in the highest position, and 'pin' it with a bolt.
Done.

Posted by: Carm
Date: November 08, 2010 01:18AM
Replace the cylinder. I dont think you can fix them.

Joe
Date: November 08, 2010 02:31AM
Cost to replace the cylinder is more than to replace the chair. The cylinders are available but just not worth buying.

Carm
Replace the cylinder. I dont think you can fix them.

Joe

Posted by: mrthuse
Date: November 08, 2010 06:43AM
What Black said.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 08, 2010 07:02AM
What Black said, or get out yer arc welder and tack weld the sucker. (that's what I do... gotta put the toy to use somehow !)
Posted by: Black
Date: November 08, 2010 08:16AM
Your replacement cylinder will give you 6 months of adequate height if you're lucky. We have a bunch of chairs around the office that won't go high enough that are less than a year old-- many failed within a month or two; almost all of them are about right at the maximum original height but YMMV. Someone needs to market a clamp or collar for this purpose that anyone can install quickly.

MR/F Guestmap: [www.mapservices.org]
Posted by: grid1010
Date: December 02, 2012 07:50PM
There is a new option to fix an office chair where the gas lift cylinder has failed. It's called the Chair Saver Kit and can be found at [www.chair-saver.com]. It keeps the chair at a constant ergonomic height for the user. No tools are needed to install and can fix your chair in under a minute. It's a lot cheaper than buying a new ergonomic chair or trying to get the right cylinder and install it yourself.
Posted by: mrkrabs
Date: May 03, 2014 01:50AM
This is how I fixed it. Did not cost me a penny and was done in 20 minutes: [www.veshapidze.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login