advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Time Machine- GUI not there....
Posted by: jardster
Date: November 08, 2010 08:25AM
I needed to pull an old excel file that had been written over mistakenly, I have Time Machine on an external drive, so I pulled up Time Machine and there is nothing to go back to using the pretty GUI. Scrolling along the right side doesn't give any dates to revert back to... BUT, I can just, through the finder, look into the time machine drive, see all the dated backups, and search there.

Any reason you know that the backups are clearly there, but the graphical doesn't seem to work?

No big deal, I am fine with searching for stuff the other way, but seems more difficult for many.

Thanks

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Time Machine- GUI not there....
Posted by: Tofer
Date: November 08, 2010 08:55AM
That is odd. You've selected the correct disk in the Time Machine Preferences? I have two backup disks that I swap out, and I have to manually switch each time I use a different one (which reminds me -- time to backup -- thanks!)
Posted by: TheToddler
Date: November 08, 2010 08:58AM
go to the folder/location where the missing file was/is .... then click time machine. it will search in that spot.
Date: November 08, 2010 09:43AM
That is what I did, and there was no graphical.

I have selected the correct drive (I also have 2 TM backups in 2 places, but it's already backed up several times today and I can't "see" any of them"

TheToddler
go to the folder/location where the missing file was/is .... then click time machine. it will search in that spot.

Posted by: Doc
Date: November 08, 2010 10:28AM
Is that TM backup made from your present computer/Boot-HD?
Date: November 08, 2010 10:55AM
Yeah, this TM is only from this computer. The drive was totally wiped clean prior to making it a TM drive. It's worked before. Strange..... I wonder if a restart will fix it, but restarting in the middle of the day is a pain.

Posted by: Monster
Date: November 08, 2010 09:50PM
I've lost my cool star filled background on my TM GUI awhile back, so far it hasn't come back, maybe I've reached the end of space/time.

The Taoist Zhuangzi said, "Good order results spontaneously when things are let alone".
The sociologist, and historian, Adam Ferguson described the phenomenon of spontaneous order in society as the "result of human action, but not the execution of any human design".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2010 09:50PM by Monster.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 203
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020