advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
ipad as gps?
Posted by: lazydays
Date: November 08, 2010 11:15AM
I have occasional need for a gps but am reluctant to buy a dedicated device for the 3-4x year that I need it. Does the ipad have gps, turn by turn voice instructions? Would I need to purchase a specific model to get that feature? Thanks
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: ipad as gps?
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: November 08, 2010 11:33AM
I know that on the iPhone the Maps application is almost good enough, but not quite. There are several maps applications that provide voice instructions, but they cost money...quite a bit of money. TomTom has been pushing their application heavily I know. They offer a dash/window mount for the iPhone that will boost the GPS performance supposedly. I think that TomTom realized that they couldn't continue to compete with Garmin so they decided to make sure that if someone was going to take their hardware sales, they would prefer that it be their software division instead of Garmin's hardware division.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: clay
Date: November 08, 2010 11:39AM
I have the free mapquest app on my iphone 3g, and it gives voice instructions. There have been really no limitations for me, other than sucking battery life. Of course, it will probably not give all the features of a standalone GPS unit, but for infrequent use, it has been fine for me.
Posted by: Trouble
Date: November 08, 2010 11:44AM
lazydays
I have occasional need for a gps but am reluctant to buy a dedicated device for the 3-4x year that I need it. Does the ipad have gps, turn by turn voice instructions? Would I need to purchase a specific model to get that feature? Thanks

You'd have to buy the 3G version because those models include the GPS module. The bonus is that you can also buy hiking GPS apps and use the iPad that way as well.
Posted by: StingMe
Date: November 08, 2010 11:44AM
Yes, you need to buy a wifi+3G model to get the GPS...

There's CoPilot Live HD: [www.alk.com]

and there are probably other similar apps.
Posted by: davester
Date: November 08, 2010 11:59AM
The GPS voice apps aren't that expensive. The biggest limitation is probably that the GPS receiver in the iPad and iPhone is not nearly as good as those in the dedicated GPS devices. In some places it is going to be difficult to get a position fix or the response to your movement will be slow. That said, I've found that it works pretty well in the populated parts of the US.

If you plan to use it overseas it may not work at all. We went to Costa Rica and ended up buying a Garmin since it was the only GPS device with decent maps built in.

You should also bear in mind that GPS devices are pretty inexpensive these days, so you're not going to be out a lot of money if you have a dedicated one for the car. In fact, if you weren't planning on buying the 3G iPad model, the price difference and the cost of a GPS app will be more than the cost of a full-fledged low end garmin GPS.

Also, are you sure you want to leave an expensive 3G iPad in your car? I wouldn't mind so much if my cheap garmin was stolen but I'd really be pissed if I lost an iPad.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2010 12:03PM by davester.
Posted by: Billybob
Date: November 08, 2010 01:28PM
davester

Also, are you sure you want to leave an expensive 3G iPad in your car? I wouldn't mind so much if my cheap garmin was stolen but I'd really be pissed if I lost an iPad.

On my last trip, I used my iPad as a GPS. I hid it under the passenger seat when I went to dinner. Of course, I forgot to retrieve it before turning the rental car in. I didn't notice that it was missing until the following morning when I attempted to use it!

Fortunately, the rental company retrieved the iPad and returned it to me.

Needless to say, I'm not planning to use it as a GPS replacement anytime soon!
Posted by: STL
Date: November 09, 2010 06:50AM
I highly recommend MotionX-GPS Drive HD for our iPad
$3 with 30 days free text to speech (TTS). After 30 days TTS is $3/mo or $25/yr although I recently got it for $20/yr.

[news.motionx.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 213
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020