advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
iPad: to 3G or not to 3G?
Posted by: deckeda
Date: November 12, 2010 10:07AM
I'm on record here as saying the 3G makes more sense if for no other reason than you get GPS hardware.

But I have an iPhone 4 and carry it everywhere. Trying to think of the places I've used 3G and so far it's only been while in the car (navigation, web and email usage).

I'm seeing far less need for the iPad to have 3G now, if I were to get one.

So what I'd like to know is, who here as 3G on theirs, AND also some kind of smartphone?

What usage scenarios should I be considering here? I'm also having difficulty seeing how I'd want 3G access for month-at-a-time blocks. This is where having a known monthly bill you can't get out of (like with a contracted smartphone) has a simplicity advantage ...
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: iPad: to 3G or not to 3G?
Posted by: Trouble
Date: November 12, 2010 10:18AM
GPS. Get the GPS.
Date: November 12, 2010 10:24AM
Yeah, but I'm trying to think of a scenario where I'd use it instead of my iPhone for that, either temporarily or (to make it somewhat economically sane) use it during the month, or (heaven forbid) buy data every month I own it.
No help from me, but...
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 12, 2010 10:27AM
If both versions had debuted at the same time, I would have got the 3G.

I would not have kept the continuous all-you-can-eat plan, though, but I would have the 3G. It would be very handy for times when say- your DSL modem dies.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: DharmaDog
Date: November 12, 2010 10:41AM
I have the iPhone 4 & iPad 3G. I have yet to use the 3G, but got it "just in case." But I really got the 3G for the GPS. I think it's a worthwhile purchase. I assume that it will be easier to sell down the road if it has 3G as well.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: November 12, 2010 10:44AM
If you're going to be using it primarily in places with wifi, I would not get the 3g model.

Spend your money on a bigger flash drive.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: November 12, 2010 10:46AM
My friend has an iPad 3G and an original iPhone. He's never signed up for a 3G data plan on the iPad and in retrospect wouldn't buy the 3G again.

Unless you really want the GPS, I no longer see the point of the 3G hardware. Especially when Virgin Mobile has pre-paid $40/mo unlimited data with a MiFi (and Sprint's network seems significantly more robust in metropolitan areas).
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: November 12, 2010 11:02AM
Have an iPhone or other smartphone? iPad w/o 3G.
No smartphone? 3G iPad.
Posted by: StingMe
Date: November 12, 2010 11:37AM
It sounds like the real question is do you need an iPad with the GPS or not?

There are apps that might benefit from (or require) it but if you don't use those, wifi-only + an iPhone 4 makes sense to me (that's what I've got).
Posted by: dotman
Date: November 12, 2010 11:50AM
3g. turn it on if you need it. turn it off if you don't.

dot.
Posted by: bhaveshp
Date: November 12, 2010 12:07PM
Have both an iPhone and a 3G iPad. We used the 3G iPad over the summer months during trips. Helped us avoid hotel wi-fi charges. Used it for GPS in a rental car, and the kids used it to stream Netflix in the car.

As we're not traveling currently, we've turned it off. I'll probably re-enable during upcoming holiday travel.

I'm pretty sure I'll recoup at least 50% of the $129 upcharge for the 3G model upon sale next year.
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 12, 2010 01:51PM
I am not using my iPad now because it does not have Internet access due to wifi issues at a Marriott hotel.

I will add 3G for my family ipad
Posted by: DRR
Date: November 12, 2010 06:11PM
I recently bought an iPhone 2G (original, NO GPS) to use as a prepaid backup phone/craigslist number phone/etc. I know that it has no true GPS but I decided to fire up the Maps application anyway. And it instantly found where I was.

And in using the iPhone 2G, it almost always is able to triangulate (based on cell towers, wifi available, etc.) where I am with uncanny accuracy.

Unless you expect to be in places with very few radio signals to triangulate and you absolutely NEED GPS, I would say get the WiFi only version. Unless you KNOW gps is an absolute dealbreaker. You have it on your phone anyway.
Date: November 12, 2010 07:39PM
Maps works great without GPS, sure, but doesn't perform it's magic without cell service. I see the regular data aspect of the 3G model more compelling than its GPS capability actually. I'm leaning toward no 3G, and the $50 savings for a refurb is only making that stronger.
Posted by: thermarest
Date: November 12, 2010 11:01PM
With the GPS it makes a sweet VFR situational awareness device for flying, and a great EFB. iPhone screen is just too small. Your plane probably already has a built-in GPS, though.
Date: November 13, 2010 08:43AM
Yep, it does.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 226
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020