advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Configuring Podcasts between iPhone and Macbook
Posted by: Microman
Date: November 12, 2010 10:13AM
I like some technical podcasts. John C. Dvorak, Leo LePorte., Onion News for comedy. Tech5 Minute.

How do you do housekeeping to make sure you always have the unheard last one , two or three on your iPhone, and also have them automatically delete from the Macbook, when you sync.

Or do you have to do the housekeeping on the Macbook automatically by choosing delete?

Thanks.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Configuring Podcasts between iPhone and Macbook
Posted by: TheToddler
Date: November 12, 2010 10:18AM
in iTunes one of the options is to have only the unheard podcasts loaded onto your device ...
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: November 12, 2010 10:23AM
I have my device setting to keep the last 10 unheard.

I have to manually delete from iTunes.

FYI-Audio podcasts can be listened to a 2X speed, and it works for most podcasts well.

I use it for MacBreak Weekly(Twit.tv-Leo Laporte), and it seems that Merlin Mann is the only one that talks too fast for 2X
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 12, 2010 10:33AM
I'm a big fan of Merlin Mann.

It seems to me that a podcast heard on my iPod is still unheard on my iPhone. Maybe it's different when talking about a Mac and an iDevice.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: kj4btkljv
Date: November 12, 2010 10:59AM
RAMd®d
It seems to me that a podcast heard on my iPod is still unheard on my iPhone. Maybe it's different when talking about a Mac and an iDevice.

Those are two separate iDevices, and if I'm understanding you correctly, could technically be 2 different people, using the same Mac, each with their own iPod/iPhone.

Are you saying that you sync both to the same Mac, and expect that if you listen to a Podcast on the iPod, it should be marked as "listened to" on the iPhone?

I don't think iTunes works that way, actually.

Jeff
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 12, 2010 11:32AM
Are you saying that you sync both to the same Mac, and expect that if you listen to a Podcast on the iPod, it should be marked as "listened to" on the iPhone?

No.

However did you come to that conclusion.

My comment was aimed at TheToddler's comment about "unheard". Because the podcast is still unheard on one of my devices, it doesn't auto delete from iT. The Unplayed dot to the left disappears, but the podcast is still there. When it's unheard from both devices, it's auto deleted.

When I said "maybe it's different..." I was speaking to TT's post and Mm's situation. I didn't know if the podcast is heard on the devices, but unheard on the Mac, is it deleted during the next sync. And I'm guessing it is. But I was wondering, in my earlier post.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: ADent
Date: November 12, 2010 11:46AM
Episodes to keep: All Unplayed Episodes

When played they will automatically delete after next update.

Note bugs: It seems to work better if you set that for each podcast, instead of all. Also you can be in Podcasts, do a select all, then right click "Allow Auto Delete". This later works 100% of the time.

Also I create a smart playlist: Genre is Podcast, Plays is 0. This filters them off the iPhone.

This Smart Playlist goes from working to broken back to working with every verion of iPhone software (works great on my iPod 5G). Right now it is working with 4.1 and iTunes 9.2.1 - but if you listen to a couple of podcasts, then play something else, then come back the selection from the playlist will be off by how ever may episodes you played.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 221
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020