advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
anyone use the harmony one?
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: November 19, 2010 02:48PM
I am going to have to replace my 880 soon. I can hear pieces rattling around inside and things don't always work right. But it looks like the 880 has retired. Although you can still get the 880, I was wondering if it'd be worthwhile to switch to the newer Harmony One.

Posted by: wowzer
Date: November 19, 2010 03:21PM
I bought one for my dad. It's too complicated (even after doing the programming for him). The IR out doesn't seem to work very well---he doesn't point the remote at the TV very well (he has to point it to the ceiling to see the button). For someone with good vision, it would work just fine.

All I ever really needed to know, I learned from watching Star Trek.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: anyone use the harmony one?
Posted by: earache
Date: November 19, 2010 03:44PM
I've got one. It's way better than the 880. I wouldn't hesitate to get another one.

earache
Posted by: aquilles10
Date: November 19, 2010 03:49PM
I upgraded to the Harmony One from the 880. Well worth it. It seems to be better built than the 880 and the charging dock design is a significant improvement.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: November 19, 2010 03:50PM
Just picked up one during the Logitech on-line store sale...35% off!! event. So, not a lot of experience to share yet, but i will say that i found the automated setup to be a mixed bag. Sometimes finds settings easily, but not easy to customize/alter settings using the online setup 'wizards.' In the process now of figuring out how to edit "activities" manually....

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: November 19, 2010 03:51PM
yeah. I have to wiggle the 880 back and forth to get it to charge correctly. Its quite annoying.

on the "upgrading" subject. Can I just import my old 880 settings into a new harmony one?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2010 03:52PM by bazookaman.
Date: November 19, 2010 03:54PM
rjmacs
Sometimes finds settings easily, but not easy to customize/alter settings using the online setup 'wizards.' In the process now of figuring out how to edit "activities" manually....

I agree. I had my 880 for about 6 months before I got around to really sitting down and devoting time to setting it up. However, now that I have as well as re-setup certain activities and added others, it's MUCH easier.

Posted by: olnacl
Date: November 19, 2010 04:26PM
I have 2 880s that I rotate - one is always on the charger. I can't say how many times I've knocked one or the other off the arm of the couch onto the tile floor, but they just keep ticking. Some rattle is normal - it's the motion sensor that turns on the backlight. Of course, serious rattles probably aren't normal. If I could find a new 880 somewhere I'd buy it just to keep all remotes the same (I'm using a 676 for one room and it's a pain after using the 880s almost all the time).

Posted by: Gilbert
Date: November 19, 2010 05:21PM
bazookaman
yeah. I have to wiggle the 880 back and forth to get it to charge correctly. Its quite annoying.

on the "upgrading" subject. Can I just import my old 880 settings into a new harmony one?

Upgrading to a new remote with Harmony is really easy via their software. It will transfer all your devices and activities over to the new remote for you.
Posted by: aquilles10
Date: November 19, 2010 05:25PM
Gilbert
bazookaman

Upgrading to a new remote with Harmony is really easy via their software. It will transfer all your devices and activities over to the new remote for you.
Yup. Upgrading is extremely easy. Logitech really makes it seamless. This will truly be an upgrade in every sense.
Date: November 19, 2010 06:00PM
olnacl
Of course, serious rattles probably aren't normal.

Yeah. It's not so much a rattle as it is pieces have fallen off internally and are moving around inside. Some buttons require an extra push or 2 to make them work. But its a been a great remote for years.

Posted by: richorlin
Date: November 19, 2010 06:41PM
No problem with using the setting from your 880. They're all the same. Just plug in the Harmony One and update it.
Posted by: h linamen
Date: November 19, 2010 06:57PM
olnacl
If I could find a new 880 somewhere I'd buy it just to keep all remotes the same (I'm using a 676 for one room and it's a pain after using the 880s almost all the time).

eBay has many new and used Harmony 880 remotes.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: November 19, 2010 07:45PM
I wasn't real happy with my Harmony. I had issues with it turning or not turning components off. I switched to the Universal Remote R50 and have been very happy with it.

Details are here:

[www.amazon.com]
Posted by: GeneL
Date: November 20, 2010 12:14PM
I'm a long time user of a Harmony 676, which to me has been a perfect remote in that I can work all functions while holding it in one hand and just using my thumb.

Two weeks ago I was talked into giving the "One" a tryout as a replacement upgrade.

I bought it on Amazon, knowing that a return would be easy if I didn't like it.

A few days into using it, I decided it would have to go back to Amazon. sad smiley

Biggest problem for me was the touch screen. I had seen a number of warnings about this in the customer reviews and I had to agree. The screen has no discernible borders around the "virtual" buttons, so it was difficult to hit the right spots, even when looking right at the remote.

I was constantly making the wrong choice by mistake, including accidentally hitting the arrow touch buttons on either side of the LCD screen. Very frustrating!

If there was a raised grid around the buttons that would guide you to hit the right spot, I think that I would have been happy with the Harmony One. That would be a smart upgrade for Logitech to make.

A new friend (a man that I bought from on eBay) highly recommended the 880 to me, so I might just pick one up on eBay to see if I like it as much. I have seen the complaints about the charging base issue and I'm wondering if there is still a replacement policy through Logitech, if you have a problematic base?

In the meantime, I just won an auction for a new 676. It will be my fourth or fifth. I still think that this model is the most successful ergonomic design that Logitech ever made.

The one I've been using works just fine except that the backlight doesn't light up. This makes it a bit harder to use in the dark, but I have, pretty much, learned to use it without looking at the buttons.

BTW, since Logitech no longer has the 676 available they gave offered me a 50% discount on any of their products and I was told that the offer will not expire.

Hmmm… I wonder what would be worth ordering?

Suggestions?

GeneL
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: November 20, 2010 01:01PM
WHAT IN THE HELL IS THIS THREAD ABOUT????
Posted by: billb
Date: November 20, 2010 02:17PM

you might want to hide that morning @#$%&
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 177
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018