The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $99.18 ( -1.57 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Can I Split Cable and add Second Modem?
Posted by: Sam*
Date: November 22, 2010 09:20PM
Poll
Are you watching Internet on your TV (Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, YahooTV widgets... whatever...)?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
13 votes were received.
Yes7

54%
No6

46%

We have Comcast cable and Internet.

Outside, cable is split into two...
1. goes to TV room and connects to Comcast Box
2. goes to my study and connects to Cable modem => phone box => Time Capsule

We are getting a new TV and plan to do a lot of Internet TV with it. I don't have total confidence in the wireless connection between my study and the TV room. (The thought of movies pausing to buffer on our new flat screen -- upgrading from circa 1991 JVC 19" -- really annoys me.)

We're likely getting an LG TV that comes with an Ethernet port. And the cable is friggin' right there!

Can I just put the cable into some kind of splitter, with a line out to the Comcast box and another to a second cable modem? It seems so logical, but will it work???

Other ideas?

Thanks,

Sam*
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Can I Split Cable and add Second Modem?
Posted by: AllGold
Date: November 22, 2010 09:32PM
Sure. But only if you pay Comcast for two separate cable internet accounts. confused smiley

Comcast internet doesn't work like TV where you can just add another converter box and use an extra TV where ever.

If you don't want to pay them double, you'll need to do it with Cat5 ethernet or wireless.

Posted by: macphanatic
Date: November 23, 2010 05:56AM
If you have a Time Capsule, why not consider adding an Airport Express (or two)? Set them up to extend the wireless signal and plug them in outlets located between the Time Capsule and where the TV will be. Start with one halfway to two-thirds away from the Time Capsule. If the signal isn't strong enough, move it closer to the TC and add another one.

I had to do this in my Mom's house as it is long and the dsl modem is on one side of the house on the second floor. I added one in the middle of the first floor and one on the other end of the second floor. She now has wireless throughout the house (including the basement) and on the deck located at the far side of the house.
Posted by: Doc
Date: November 23, 2010 06:10AM
Why not just move the cable modem and router? The modem should be able to connect at any cable-outlet in the house.

Why not run a long Ethernet cable to the tv-room?
Posted by: MacJeepster
Date: November 23, 2010 07:47AM
I upgraded older an older bargain Netgear wi-fi router to a pair of dual-band Airport Extremes. It was easy to set up (the Airport utility software is great) and I now get a strong, fast signal throughout the house, plus a "guest network," on which I can hand out temporary passwords to visitors.
But moving the router to more central location may work for you.
If you do buy a new wi-fi unit, look at the Apple. As usual, it costs a bit more (get a refurb), but it's way worth it.

-mj
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: November 23, 2010 03:38PM
Moving a cable modem (or dsl modem) or wireless router is not always an easy task. It assumes that there are other connection points available and that all of the computers have wireless capability or an ethernet connection can run easily between the new and old modem locations. Some of us are lucky that we can run RG6 or Cat5/6 wherever we need.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login