advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Do iBok power bricks just up and die?
Posted by: h'
Date: December 26, 2005 09:06AM
My iBook suddenly won't take a charge . . . the ring around the power inlet doesn't light. Works fine otherwise, still has some battery left.
What's the most likely cause? (please say "oh, sometimes the bricks just quit, it happened to me" . . .).
Yes, it's plugged in, tried a different outlet, played with it in a zillion ways, etc.

I suffer from the same sensitivity that you do. A few nuggets of wisdom were shared with me and I'm "trying" to incorporate them into my life. First, remember that nobody can hurt your feelings unless you let them. You can always reject what is being forced on you emotionally.
Second, nothing changes unless you change it. If you don't want the behavior to be repeated then you need to take action. Otherwise the kid has learned that his behavior is the way to get things done, because everyone lets him get away with it.
In the meantime I sympathize because I've been there.
-beerman
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Do iBok power bricks just up and die?
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: December 26, 2005 09:25AM
I've only had them croak when they overheated.

I put a volt meter to one once, and got all kinds of voltage, but there was one particular combo where there was none, and that was what was required to start the machine up (the batteries were wasted).

I've had no trouble with the "modern" (pismo forward) bricks, but they aren't all that expensive as long as you stay away from Apple branded (at least from what I've seen).

And for you... you could probably DRIVE to Woodstock!

[eshop.macsales.com]
Date: December 26, 2005 10:05AM
I'll be downtown in a few hours, and will probably end up picking one up at full MSRP at the Apple store.
Can't decipher the rest of your message though-- are you saying they do just up and die completely?

Another question-- which other models have batteries that are interchangeable with this one? If I do end up having to get it serviced I'll need enough juice to do the target mode thing.

I suffer from the same sensitivity that you do. A few nuggets of wisdom were shared with me and I'm "trying" to incorporate them into my life. First, remember that nobody can hurt your feelings unless you let them. You can always reject what is being forced on you emotionally.
Second, nothing changes unless you change it. If you don't want the behavior to be repeated then you need to take action. Otherwise the kid has learned that his behavior is the way to get things done, because everyone lets him get away with it.
-beerman
Posted by: bangman
Date: December 26, 2005 10:11AM
Sure, but you could test it further.

---------
3GHz - The clock is STILL ticking Steve.
Posted by: JEBB
Date: December 26, 2005 10:27AM
Take it with you. They may be able to tell you what's wrong with it. If it is still under warranty they may be able replace it right then.

Don't do what I did: One time I thought I had a dead brick only to discover that the outlet was switched at the wall. I flipped the switch and life returned.
Date: December 26, 2005 11:07AM
JEBB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Take it with you. They may be able to tell you
> what's wrong with it. If it is still under
> warranty they may be able replace it right then.
>
>
> Don't do what I did: One time I thought I had a
> dead brick only to discover that the outlet was
> switched at the wall. I flipped the switch and
> life returned.

Well, there's duct tape on the cord near the plug where it started to fra, I'm sure they'll tune right in on that-- but I'd think I'd still get some sort of life sign by playing with it . . . probably not bringing it with . . .

-beerman
Date: December 26, 2005 11:28AM
Hmmm--- just noticed it's making a repetitive clicking sound when plugged in, whether connected to the 'book or not.
I am optimistic.

-beerman
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: December 26, 2005 12:25PM
what is making that sound?

Your HD?

That isn't good.

And if it is your brick.... I'd throw it out the window before it explodes. Has Wafah been over your place?

btw.... the cord is pretty generic. Why don't you go get a new one at a hardware store before waltzing into the Apple Store with something they can crucify you with.

As for just up and dying.... this group (yo-yo or brick) was all part of that defective batch - and I guess they WERE just up and dying. Probably a failed diode/bridge (as a guess). That was why there was some kind of action by Ã…pple - (either forced or voluntary - don't recall.)
Posted by: BigGuynRusty
Date: December 26, 2005 12:32PM
Can you even do a Target Disc Mode on battery power?

BGnR

You don't have to buy an Apple power supply.
[www.madsonline.com]
Probably others out there.
Posted by: ArtP
Date: December 26, 2005 01:53PM
Take the adaptor to the Apple Store, you may get lucky.

It was a common problem for the ends to fray or break with some of the earlier models, PLUS if it is going bad (dead) and you are from out of town, they may do a good will replacement. It is HIGHLY unlikely but you never know.

Worst case, you were going to buy a new Apple adaptor anyway.
Posted by: spearmint
Date: December 26, 2005 03:02PM
My Power Brick is fine but the Power Manager sucks. I have to take the brick out and put it in again to go to orange recharging mode. My computer is circa 2001 and they say it is $385 for a repair which is logic board. iBook 500, and I am on my third logic board. It was a beta for sure.
Date: December 26, 2005 10:03PM
I didn't take it with.
I got there and it was not the kind of day where you would go to the genius bar for anything, unless you had 3 hours to spare.
Plenty of employess millng about, though, each and every one fully adept at 100% completely talking out their ass, each more clueless than the rest. Where I work, if we don't know something we say "let me try to find out for you". I think I will probably never set foot in that horrible place again.
Off to a friend's in a few minutes to try my 'book with his brick.
Retail was $80 on the stupid things. I had one in my hand. along with a "refreshed" Airclick for $30, and decided today was another buy nothing day.

-beerman
Posted by: spearmint
Date: December 27, 2005 05:14PM
Use the floor model to check it out. They steal all those batteries anyways. Entrepneursl
Posted by: Jp!
Date: August 15, 2006 05:29AM
imo
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 227
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020