advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $105.22 ( +0.39 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Cell Gurus- Landline Alarm system convert to Cell Phone ?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: December 06, 2010 08:27AM
I'd like to migrate our land-line alarm system connection to a prepaid (PagePlus sounds good) service for the house. The alarm company 'claims' that this is not possible. Is there anything I can use that spoofs it ? The alarm system wants a 'dial tone' before it dials.

tia
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Cell Gurus- Landline Alarm system convert to Cell Phone ?
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: December 06, 2010 08:29AM
You might also consider one that uses your internet connection.
Date: December 06, 2010 08:31AM
Ken- No internet connection. This is the house that belonged to my late in-laws. We're in the process of cleaning it up to sell it, and the alarm system is in place because we live a few hours away from it.

(Fortunately, we DO have nosy neighbors there who are great people, and keep an eye on things.)
Posted by: lafinfil
Date: December 06, 2010 08:43AM
Not a guru, but here's a data point. About 3 years ago my neighbor lady had an alarm (ADT) install a system in a rural property
that didn't have a landline. ADT used a cellular device to send the signal to a cell tower a few miles away. The cell sending unit
was mounted in the attic of a two story building on the property. It needed to be mounted as high as possible according to ADT.

The problem with this particular set up was a weak cell signal in the rural area. Because the device worked by sending a
regular repeated signal, the alarm would trip when the device lost signal, which seemed to happen in bad weather and other conditions.
She finally installed a data only line for the alarm system because of the number of false alarm calls and the need to travel to
the property to reset the alarm. That said - if you have good cell signal this device exists (at least for ADT) may work fine under good conditions.

<edit>
I just read your additional comments. The cellular system I mentioned was not a cheap option due to equipment charges etc...
In the end it was cheaper to have the rural phone company install the data only line (no voice service) I think it is
about $12 a month and saves lots of middle of the night trips in the rain to check out false alarms.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2010 08:48AM by lafinfil.
Posted by: DharmaDog
Date: December 06, 2010 09:00AM
I looked into the ADT cell service and was disappointed with the cost. My objective was to lower some of my recurring bills (phone, internet, alarm, cable/sat, etc.)

I wanted to get rid of my landline, but my alarm uses it. ADT said their cellular monitoring required $250 of hardware, plus a more expensive monitoring fee compared to landline. I think it was an extra $15/month. This practically negates any savings from dropping the landline and makes the break-even period way too long (many years).
Date: December 06, 2010 09:09AM
"ADT said their cellular monitoring required $250 of hardware"

I think that is just the base cost. By the time you figure out that it doesn't work and start adding signal boosters
and additional labor for repeated visits it just climbs. I act as go between for my neighbor lady (who is in her 80's) when
her kids are unavailable. I'm also a first responder on her ADT call list. When talking to the tech about it he said that
the sales end of the operation had no problem selling them but the techs hated them because of the fall out.

The last tech that tried to tweak the system was instrumental in getting her an equipment refund because
it was his opinion that it should have never been used in this set up to begin with.

Date: December 06, 2010 09:13AM
I'm just looking for a cheapo device that will emulate a landline using a cell phone (perhaps via bluetooth). Service for Verizon is very good at the house. The local phone company wants like $35 a month for phone service, and that gets old fast. (If I was over 65 I'd be able to get the $12 'lifeline" service.)
Posted by: rgG
Date: December 06, 2010 09:26AM
cbelt3
I'm just looking for a cheapo device that will emulate a landline using a cell phone (perhaps via bluetooth). Service for Verizon is very good at the house. The local phone company wants like $35 a month for phone service, and that gets old fast. (If I was over 65 I'd be able to get the $12 'lifeline" service.)

I would call the phone company and explain the situation and see if they can't offer a data only line just for your alarm for the $12 a month cost. It may not get you anywhere, but it might be worth a few minutes of your time.

Alpharetta, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: December 06, 2010 09:29AM
"phone company wants like $35 a month for phone service"

Ask them about "data only" line not voice line. It should be available much cheaper

Posted by: clay
Date: December 06, 2010 01:23PM
We recently moved to VOIP at my place of work, and as a result, dropped our Verizon landline service. Our ADT system relied on the Verizon system, so it no longer worked as a result. We went with the cell backup service. $250 for the equipment, then $12/mo. We thought about keeping a bare bones landline to just use with the alarm, but that would have been $50/mo. I thought that was a bit ludicrous, but apparently that's the cheapest dial tone you can get (at least on business-level service) from Verizon, so I told them to take a hike and we went with the ADT option.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login