advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Happy selling on Amazon!
Posted by: olnacl
Date: December 07, 2010 07:31AM
In the past couple days, I listed three items on Amazon - a Sony DVD player that I just replaced with a Blu-Ray (after some disappointing purchases - both returned), a Philips 642 DVD player that was revered for being region hackable and multi-format playable, and one of those miniature keyboards touted as great for using from the couch to control your media center (it wasn't), Granted, I sold all these at a reasonable price, but the alternative was to have them collecting dust. So $100 + is in my pocket and a few things are out of the attic. I'm amazed that the Philips sold within 2 days of listing, while the Sony and the miniature keyboard sold within minutes of listing them.

I just listed a refurbed Apple BT keyboard (the white one) that Apple replaced for me under Apple Care and I never put back into service, having bought the smaller current model. I'm not expecting such great responses on that item though. Still, it may sell.
What's not to like about selling on Amazon? Just sayin'.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Happy selling on Amazon!
Posted by: mattkime
Date: December 07, 2010 07:39AM
the 8% cut?

yes, i've had good luck selling on amazon.

Posted by: olnacl
Date: December 07, 2010 07:47AM
mattkime
the 8% cut?

How much more is the commission to Amazon than for selling a similarly priced item on eBay? Significant? I priced my items so I netted what I wanted from the sale - no worry about low bids, etc (and no Easter eggs as a result of overzealous bidders either).
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: December 07, 2010 07:51AM
You didn't offer them to us first? You salty old b@stid!
Date: December 07, 2010 08:05AM
probably cheaper than ebay + paypal. but i haven't verified this.

olnacl
mattkime
the 8% cut?

How much more is the commission to Amazon than for selling a similarly priced item on eBay? Significant? I priced my items so I netted what I wanted from the sale - no worry about low bids, etc (and no Easter eggs as a result of overzealous bidders either).

Posted by: Mr. Kerchak
Date: December 07, 2010 08:46AM
I had no idea individuals could sell on amazon.
Date: December 07, 2010 09:31AM
look at any item. on the right side of the page there will be a button that says something to the point of "have one? sell it!"

Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: December 07, 2010 09:32AM
olnacl
...What's not to like about selling on Amazon? Just sayin'.

The pluses will outweigh the minus's, but wait until the first time a buyer files a dispute. Amazon will always side with the buyer. They can say they didn't receive it, and even if you have tracking to prove otherwise, they'll side with the buyer. You can describe it to a tee, and if the buyer so much as whimpers, they'll side with buyer. They'll always side with the buyer, regardless of how much in the right you are.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: December 07, 2010 09:46AM
mattkime
the 8% cut?

eBay+PayPal is about the same, 8-10% for electronics, but it can be higher for other categories.

I've sold a couple things on Amazon. Certainly easier to list than eBay, took longer to sell, but I also got much higher prices than I probably would have on eBay for those items.
Posted by: abevilac
Date: December 07, 2010 10:14AM
I sell on Amazon and not on eBay. I like how easy it is to list and I do think I get better price. I find that really odd books [like the kind I get from my MIL, i.e., 101 Famous Cats] sell for the full list price. If I took same book to local half-price book store, they'd give me about $1. I am sometimes surprised at how quickly some things sell. I always do tracking and I haven't been burned by any buyer. [yet]
Posted by: TheToddler
Date: December 07, 2010 11:12AM
great way to get rid of stuff you're not using and make a little spending money ... I have packing materials so I buy postage directly on the Amazon site, request pickup from USPS and never leave the house ... even if it's just a $10 item it's worth it to box it up and leave it on the porch.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: December 07, 2010 11:14AM
No, they don't.

I lost my claim as buyer even though the seller shipped me the wrong item.

Amazon's position was since the seller had proof of delivery that was good enough for them (even though the wrong item was shipped)

Currently disputing the charge with my credit card company, and will likely never do business with a third-party seller on Amazon again.

Carnos Jax
olnacl
...What's not to like about selling on Amazon? Just sayin'.

The pluses will outweigh the minus's, but wait until the first time a buyer files a dispute. Amazon will always side with the buyer. They can say they didn't receive it, and even if you have tracking to prove otherwise, they'll side with the buyer. You can describe it to a tee, and if the buyer so much as whimpers, they'll side with buyer. They'll always side with the buyer, regardless of how much in the right you are.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: December 07, 2010 01:17PM
Sorry Bill, I'd forgotten about your situation. I'm still shocked that happened to you. It's one of the only exceptions that I'm aware of. I realize it's a bit of a stretch, but I wonder if Amazon is 'turning a page' and starting to behave in lousy manner to customers/buyers as well.
Posted by: Kramerica
Date: December 07, 2010 01:31PM
Quite surprisingly, I had more problems selling on Amazon than eBay. If I recall, you're supposed to honor a 30-day return policy. On about the 30th day, I had a buyer ask for a refund. Product was unopened when I got it back, but it was still a hassle. From buyer feedback, another buyer appeared to have claimed to Amazon that they never received something I shipped, although I was never contacted by the buyer or Amazon. Then later, due to switching email accounts, and forgetting to update the new address on Amazon (my fault), I didn't see an order (maybe 2?) and thus didn't fulfill it on time and as a result, I think my account got banned. I've been using eBay for 10 years and have 100% feedback and have had very few problems, if any.
Posted by: decay
Date: December 07, 2010 02:13PM
sold a few things, no problems yet.

Leopard DVDs go for a good amount there.

---
Posted by: hal
Date: December 07, 2010 02:27PM
decay
sold a few things, no problems yet.

Leopard DVDs go for a good amount there.

they go for $150 on ebay, more on amazon??
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 152
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020