The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Holiday playlists: punk rock Christmas
Posted by: btfc
Date: December 16, 2010 11:58AM
[www.macworld.com]

A few of these are new to me.

"Grandpa’s Last X-mas, The Vandals (iTunes | Amazon MP3) Punk-rock court-jesters The Vandals remind you to be nice to scary old grandpa this time of year—because he probably won’t be around for another one.

Fairy Tale of New York, The Pogues (iTunes | Amazon MP3 In England and Ireland, it’s frequently voted the best Christmas song of all time. Set in a police drunk tank , with family-inappropriate lyrics, it’s really more of an anti-Christmas song. Shane MacGowan is no Bing Crosby, but his duet with the late Kirsty MacColl is sad, bitter, and genuine.

Oi to the World, No Doubt (iTunes | Amazon MP3 This is really just an excuse to get two songs by The Vandals on this list. Describing a bloody Christmas Eve fight on a rooftop, it’s an unlikely appeal for peace. Gwen Stefani’s vocals and the added horns make the song poppier than the original.

Merry Christmas (I Don’t Want to Fight Tonight), The Ramones (iTunes | Amazon MP3 You can’t have a punk rock playlist without the Ramones. This isn’t their best tune by any stretch, but the simple chorus and guitar riff are quitessentially Ramones.

This Time of Year, Mighty Mighty Bosstones (iTunes | Amazon MP3) Infinitely danceable and a bit schmaltzy, this third-wave ska band’s “The Time of Year” is perfect for the middle section of your holiday party—preferably after you’ve had a few eggnogs.

Making Christmas, Rise Against (iTunes | Amazon MP3 Is Tim Burton’s A Nightmare Before Christmas a Halloween movie or a Christmas film? I think it’s more the former, but this song from the soundtrack is definitely about the latter (in a twisted, nightmarish way), performed by one of the most exciting punk bands of the last decade.

Saint Nicholas, Gatsby’s American Dream (Amazon MP3 One of the strangest band names and one of the strangest songs on the list: A synth-infused tribute to every one’s favorite jolly old elf that veers into epic cheese-metal.

Forget December, Something Corporate (iTunes | Amazon MP3 Rejecting nostalgia, Andrew McMahan bitterly mocks all those silent nights and Christmas mornings. For a catchy pop punk piano rock tune, it’s arguably the most depressing item on this list—best played early in the evening.

Yule Shoot Your Eye Out, Fall Out Boy (iTunes | Amazon MP3 I’m not a big fan of Fall Out Boy fan. But you can’t argue with the punk rockiness of the line “Merry Christmas / I could care less,” and the song gets props for citing A Christmas Story—one of the best Christmas movies of all time."
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Holiday playlists: punk rock Christmas
Posted by: MacDoxy
Date: December 16, 2010 12:03PM
it isnt punk but twisted sister's xmas album is surprisingly listenable and not just a one song gimmick
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: December 16, 2010 12:32PM
Posted by: the_poochies
Date: December 16, 2010 01:07PM
"Merry F***ing Christmas" by the Mr. T. Experience and "Homo Christmas" by Pansy Division (both NSFW) also come to mind.

The Power Pop Criminals blog has quite a few downloadable power pop Christmas collections that go back to 2007 or so.
Posted by: earache
Date: December 16, 2010 01:09PM
The Vandals also have other Christmas hits - Dance of the Sugarplum Fairies, A Gun for Christmas, and my all time favorite, Christmas Time for my P*nis

earache
Posted by: ScottG
Date: December 16, 2010 02:10PM
How about The Fall, No Christmas for John Quays? At least once a year I make a playlist by simply searching for Christmas, and this is inevitably one of the first few songs played. A truly excellent song, but not entirely filled with holiday spirit.

cheers

Scott
Posted by: decay
Date: December 16, 2010 02:39PM
not family or FM-radio friendly, by FEAR:

[thep5.blogspot.com]

here's a ready-made compliation:

Punk Rock Xmas: [www.amazon.com]

1. (It's Gonna Be A) Punk Rock Christmas - The Ravers
2. Silent Night - The Dickies
3. Hooray For Santa Claus Theme From 'Santa Claus.. - Sloppy Seconds
4. F**k Christmas - Fear
5. A Merry Christmas - The Greedies
6. There Ain't No Sanity Claus - The Damned
7. Homo Christmas - Pansy Division
8. It's Christmas - Boquet Of Veal
9. Merry Xmas Blues - The Celibate Rifles
10. Merry Christmas (I Don't Wanna Fight Tonight) - Ramones
11. Deck The Halls - Metal Mike, Alison And Julia
12. Feliz Navinada - El Vez
13. Run, Run Rudolph - Humpers
14. Daddy Drank Our Xmas Money - TVTV$
15. Here Comes Santa's Pussy - The Frogs
16. Christmas Christmas - Mojo Nixon
17. Mr. Grinch - D.I.
18. White Christmas - Stiff Little Fingers

speaking of #16, there's mo' Mojo:

Mojo Nixon And The Toad Liquors - Horny Holidays (1992)

A near perfect mixture of the not-so-sacred and the extremely profane, HORNY HOLIDAYS is also one of the best rock Christmas albums ever made--think Phil Spector's A CHRISTMAS GIFT FOR YOU with a lot more laughs. Here, Nixon mangles his way through the likes of "Good King Wenceslas" (in a fit of innovation, he dispenses with the lyrics altogether, replacing them with multiple la-las), out Karloff's Karloff on a sepulchral "Mr. Grinch," and generally reworks every holiday standard here with the maximum possible amount of double entendre. Yes, there are also relatively straight renditions of Chuck Berry's "Run Rudolph Run" and James Brown's protest classic "Santa Claus Go Straight to the Ghetto," but rest assured they're the exceptions.

Mojo "Know It All" Nixon - vocals, guitar
Pete "Wet Dawg" Gordon - vocals, piano
Sean "New Guy" McCarthy - vocals, bass
Mike "Wid" Middleton -vocals, drums
Jim "The Beast" Spake - saxophone
Al "Fish" Herring - trumpet
Robert "What Note?" Gordon - chimes

Producers: Rusty McFarland, Robert "Whamo" Gordon
Recorded at 3 Alarm Studio, Memphis, Tennessee in Decmber, 1991

1. Happy Birthday
2. Trim Yo' Tree
3. Good King Wenceslas
4. Mr. Grinch
5. Head Crushing Yuletide Sing-A-Long
6. It's Christmas Time
7. Jingle Bells
8. Boogie Woogie Santa Clause
9. Santa Clause Go Straight To The Ghetto
10. Run Rudolf Run
11. We Three Kings
12. Everyday Will Be A Holiday
13. Sleigh Ride
14. Little Man Song
15. Go Tell It On A Mountain
16. 'Twas The Night Before Christmas

---
Posted by: decay
Date: December 16, 2010 02:45PM
not punk but some nice covers here:

Mojo's Festive Fifteen
Issue No. 206 (January 2011)

15 seasonal offerings from acts including R.E.M, Superchunk, The Flaming Lips, Sufjan Stevens, Irma Thomas, Richard Hawley, Joe Tex & many more. Links lead to artists' latest album if track is exclusive.

[www.mojocovercds.com]

this Flaming Lips version of Silent Night is great, with some Spacemen 3 lyrics added:
[www.youtube.com]

---
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 109
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018