advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Californians and the storm
Posted by: kap
Date: December 22, 2010 12:40PM
How are y'all holding up? We are all right except for the dogs getting claustrophobic smiling smiley

SoCal for now.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Californians and the storm
Posted by: evilrobot
Date: December 22, 2010 12:44PM
It's really not as bad as CNN makes it look.

Can't speak for those in the Tahoe area, but those of us in the lower elevations have been using umbrellas. Oh noes.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: December 22, 2010 12:45PM
ready for the sunshine to return asap at this point...

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Posted by: freeradical
Date: December 22, 2010 12:52PM
A half an inch in Sacramento today.

Yesteday on the weather report they said we are at 146% of normal precipitation for the year.

hot smiley
Posted by: hal
Date: December 22, 2010 12:53PM
my cats hate me...
Posted by: Gareth
Date: December 22, 2010 12:56PM
hal
my cats hate me...

Yea, my cat didn't understand why I wouldn't make it stop raining so he could go outside. Then I left town...
Posted by: GGD
Date: December 22, 2010 12:59PM
Looks like we've got plenty of water in the reservoirs. All except one are above their historical averages.

[cdec.water.ca.gov]
Date: December 22, 2010 01:11PM
We live down the foothill so we witness things flowing downstream. So far just trash and trash bins. Thanks goodness! More rain is in the forecast. Be safe. Keep warm. Listen to your mother and eat soup!

SoCal for now.
Posted by: davester
Date: December 22, 2010 01:11PM
The storm has been causing marital strife. The wife complained that I hadn't hung the wreath she bought plus colored lights on the front gate yet. "But it's been raining" fell on deaf ears.

Also, our dining room skylight has been leaking so we have pots and pans scattered around the floor.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2010 01:12PM by davester.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: December 22, 2010 01:23PM
..it never rains...
it pours, man it pours...

Good luck ! I know you folks are just plain not used to that, and don't have infrastructure, ground absorption, etc. like we do up here when it rains like crazy. Just stay the heck out of the canyons.. I remember seeing my first canyon country flash flood.... it looked like an angry black wall of water coming down the mountain right at me... as we were scrambling for high ground.
Posted by: billb
Date: December 22, 2010 01:29PM
you know the valley's flooded when the Coast Guard delivers your mail ...
Posted by: testcase
Date: December 22, 2010 01:33PM
cbelt3, we're glad you made it to higher ground! cool smiley
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: December 22, 2010 01:36PM
Over 10 inches in the past 4 days at Eaton Dam just up the road. House roof isn't leaking and it seems the outdoor plants are reasonably well watered so we're all good.

Worst thing is seeing millions of gallons of water going straight to the ocean instead of into some reservoir which we could use next summer. How about spreading it out over a month or something?
Date: December 22, 2010 02:14PM
Zealand,
You're in Sierra Madre area? We are not too far from there.

cbelt3,
We live on one of the main routes leading up to the town's main park (it's actually a section of the Angeles National Park) so if anything the foothill debris will be gathering up a couple streets down from us. We have experienced this type or worse storm few years back. La Canada Flintridge, Sierra Madre, Altadena and similar tend to be in a more precarious condition due to their locations. Still, I haven't seen anyone kayaking yet.

The rain has stopped at this point. No sun. Very cloudy and bright at 57 degree!

SoCal for now.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2010 02:16PM by kap.
Posted by: zeppo2
Date: December 22, 2010 02:30PM
Pretty good here on the Central Coast, though our dogs are also claustrophobic. Lots of rain, a few closed roads, but nothing too bad. Luckily we didn't get the wind they called for last night, or I'm sure we'd be cleaning up trees today.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: December 22, 2010 03:09PM
A few years ago my town (NE Ohio) got a total of between 9 to 15 inches of rain in one 48 hour period. The rivers all flooded, most houses had basements flood, and a few housing developments on river flood plains flooded out. But nobody was killed. We have infrastructure to deal with flooding and heavy rains, and people who know how to handle that.

I can understand why you all in SoCal have huge issues... I would not expect that kind of problem if I lived in the desert either.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: December 22, 2010 03:19PM
Winter of 2003 was worse than this.

It is what it is.
Date: December 22, 2010 03:26PM
cbelt3
I can understand why you all in SoCal have huge issues... I would not expect that kind of problem if I lived in the desert either.

Because our government officials (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/09/21/california-city-officials-reportedly-arrested-salary-scandal/) are experts at misappropriating funds?

SoCal for now.
Posted by: (vikm)
Date: December 22, 2010 03:29PM
Absolutely no problems. Actually have been going for walks that normally wouldn't have taken place. Purely for the fun factor. Cats are fine, too but we don't let them outside under ideal weather. It's been great. Always wanted to move to the UK winking smiley
Into this world we're born...
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: December 22, 2010 03:36PM
Into this world we're thrown.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: December 22, 2010 03:40PM
(vikm)
Absolutely no problems. Actually have been going for walks that normally wouldn't have taken place. Purely for the fun factor. Cats are fine, too but we don't let them outside under ideal weather. It's been great. Always wanted to move to the UK winking smiley

I too have been enjoying it.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: December 22, 2010 03:45PM
kap
Zealand,
You're in Sierra Madre area? We are not too far from there. !

Howdy neighbor!

NE Pasadena, less than a mile from Sierra Madre. If we're lucky, Little Z will be going to SM Elementary next year.

No rain here right now. Woo!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2010 03:46PM by Lew Zealand.
Posted by: Shakes
Date: December 22, 2010 03:45PM
We're at the foothills below La Crescenta, just outside the burn area. I've had enough water. The dog and me can't wait for tomorrow.
Posted by: maco
Date: December 22, 2010 04:17PM
Too bad that more of the rainwater in SoCal can't be saved for future use - rather than just flowing into the ocean.
Date: December 22, 2010 07:49PM
maco
Too bad that more of the rainwater in SoCal can't be saved for future use - rather than just flowing into the ocean.

We are optimistic people. We knew this day would come. Now if it only happens once every other year we'll be in good shape. Really.

Zewland,
Yeah! We are about 8 mile east of you smiling smiley

Shakes,
Yikes. Hope everyone will come out all right.

SoCal for now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2010 07:54PM by kap.
Posted by: Shakes
Date: December 22, 2010 09:41PM
All fine except for the 3 year old roof that sprung a leak today. And the original roofer is out of business. And the DVR that stopped working today.
Posted by: Carm
Date: December 23, 2010 01:25AM
All wash crossings without a bridge are closed.

[www.kesq.com]

Joe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2010 01:27AM by Carm.
Posted by: GeneL
Date: December 23, 2010 02:13AM
The sound of the rain coming down was so intense around 4:30 AM, that I had to get up to look outside.

Kind of missed the sound of thunder and lightning, which reminds me of rain storms back east.

Dana Point has been spared any major problems AFIK.

I'm thinking of changing my screen name to "up all night."

gl
Posted by: Speedy
Date: December 23, 2010 04:34AM
Glad I'm not there. We don't even hear the snow fall. And any damage is slow coming and thus much more easily mediated. Good luck.

GeneL
The sound of the rain coming down was so intense around 4:30 AM, that I had to get up to look outside.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: GeneL
Date: December 24, 2010 03:16AM
Speedy
Glad I'm not there. We don't even hear the snow fall. And any damage is slow coming and thus much more easily mediated. Good luck.

GeneL

I neglected to say that I love the sound of the rain drumming on our roof.

I do remember well, how thrilling it was to wake up and find the world magically changed by the first overnight snowfall. Of course, in Manhattan and its suburbs, the snowfall was never as bad as I've seen elsewhere in the country.

I do know that if, after 48 years of living in SoCal, I were to be faced with the kind of winter that I've seen in the mid-west this year, I'd shrivel up and die on the spot. old fogey smiley

gl
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 199
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020