advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Digital paper cutter ?
Posted by: pbarra1
Date: December 26, 2010 09:19AM
Cousin is a graphic artist. She needs to expand her invitation business. She needs a machine to cut paper to various sizes. She said that would save her a lot if time. I have seen the cricut and some expensive machines ($10000+). The cricut does not seem like a commercial unit but she can only spend 500 to $1000 on the unit. Any suggestions?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Digital paper cutter ?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: December 26, 2010 09:23AM
Well, business expansion implies capital investment. She needs to think about throughput when she buys a machine. If she needs to turn out one invitation every half hour or one every minute.. that sort of thing.

Speaking from an engineer's perspective, there's a fine line between prototyping and mass production, and it's defined base on the automation method. For example... most high speed paper cutting is done with steel rule dies which, hey, guess what, are the same things that are used in the 'press cut' gizmos... hidden inside that little rubber pad is a steel rule die bent in the shape you want to cut. Some people use lasers (yes, bigger cost).

She may, if she can swing it, consider a business loan for capital investment.

(Ed: I realize that I haven't specifically answered your question, but I'm not familiar with the "Cricut" except that I talked my wife out of buying it.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2010 09:24AM by cbelt3.
Posted by: RoadToad
Date: December 26, 2010 09:54AM
If all she needs is paper cut to various sizes, a local print shop with a paper cutting machine would probably do it for a nominal fee.

Badger, Badger, Badger, Badger, Badger...
Posted by: Gareth
Date: December 26, 2010 12:14PM
Yea, if she just needs paper pre-cut before printing, Kinko's is $1 per cut. If she needs to cut post printing for full bleeds, I can see the convenience of being able to do it in house. Given that good manual stack cutters are a few hundred or more, easily, that budget seems really low for a digital cutter (which I never even came across in my search for stack cutters).
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: December 26, 2010 12:27PM
Guys- we're talking pattern cutting. The big thing in wedding invitations is 3-D paper stacks. Heck, I expect "pop-up" invitations to be a cool concept for someone.
Posted by: Seacrest
Date: December 27, 2010 11:18AM
cbelt3
Guys- we're talking pattern cutting. The big thing in wedding invitations is 3-D paper stacks. Heck, I expect "pop-up" invitations to be a cool concept for someone.

Die-cutting.
Again, best contracted out.

There are lots of printing companies going belly up.
Check eBay.

I am not Ryan Seacrest, and I do not approve this message.
Posted by: pbarra1
Date: December 27, 2010 02:32PM
What should I search for on eBay?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 120
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018