Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $101.06 ( +0.17 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
so i cut the tip of my finger off
Posted by: lazydays
Date: January 21, 2011 11:50PM
and i'm having a hard getting it to stop bleeding. after an hour of pressure i washed it with iodine and then bandaged it. it felt decent but soaked through after awhile. so I pulled it off and the bandage had stuck to the cut and now it's bleeding lot again even though i rewrapped it. short of going to the er and spending $200 what should i do to treat it? i did not cut off enough to reattach.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: so i cut the tip of my finger off
Posted by: binky
Date: January 21, 2011 11:54PM
If you have steristrips (not sure if you can buy them in a pharmacy or not), I'd hold pressure to stop the bleeding then use steristrips to continue the pressure. Then bandage firmly and hope for the best.
Posted by: binky
Date: January 21, 2011 11:54PM
oops, guess you can buy them -- I'd by 1/2 inch wide ones if possible.

[www.walgreens.com]
Posted by: M>B>
Date: January 21, 2011 11:56PM
GO TO THE ER...

How much is your life worth???
Posted by: Kiva
Date: January 22, 2011 12:00AM
ya, dude...ER time. Infections, though unlikely, can kill you.

or maybe some sort of clinic in the AM? Save some coin that way...

----------------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2011 12:01AM by Kiva.
Posted by: DaviDC.
Date: January 22, 2011 12:02AM
Keep your hand above heart level & the bleeding will stop.

I've cut the tips off my thumb & index finger on 2 different occasions & both grew back- eventually.

Date: January 22, 2011 12:11AM
It truly was a killer tomato
Posted by: wowzer
Date: January 22, 2011 12:23AM
Amputations, generally speaking, cannot be sutured. It sounds like you may have nicked a small vessel (which is possible, depending on how much you've amputated)...some of these need to be cauterized...you just can't tell over the web. To me, the most worrisome item is whether you've actually hit bone. The skin will grow back, eventually--but you'll likely have some scarring, although complete regeneration has been known to happen, especially if you are young. Tetanus is a possibility (depending on how you've amputated the tip), as is infection. Go to the ER is a good piece of advice on this one, but word to the wise, it'll be more than $200 (in my estimation).

All I ever really needed to know, I learned from watching Star Trek.
Posted by: steve...
Date: January 22, 2011 01:04AM
Thank you for not posting pictures.

Date: January 22, 2011 03:47AM
After 6 hours I finally decided to go to the ER. Not so much because i thought it was serious but because I couldn't figure out how to not bleed all over the bed. So I get there and the staff has a good laugh about how I got in a knife fight with a tomato and lost. They wanted to know where the tip of my finger was and I said I threw it away. They laughed at that also. As I suspected it was not a serious problem and I just needed something to stop the bleeding. They used Surgicel from Johnson & Johnson which I will be adding to my first aid kit. I also got a tetanus shot which was probably a good idea. So There you have it.
Date: January 22, 2011 03:52AM
Whoa, surgicel isn't easy to come by. I checked at [firstaidsuppliesonline.com] and can get another product but it's still expensive. Any other hemostatic recommendations?
Posted by: DaviDC.
Date: January 22, 2011 06:01AM
New Skin is always useful.

Posted by: Speedy
Date: January 22, 2011 06:12AM
Now you can post pics. Glad the folks at the ER found it funny rather than serious.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 22, 2011 06:51AM
lazydays
After 6 hours I finally decided to go to the ER. Not so much because i thought it was serious but because I couldn't figure out how to not bleed all over the bed. So I get there and the staff has a good laugh about how I got in a knife fight with a tomato and lost. They wanted to know where the tip of my finger was and I said I threw it away. They laughed at that also. As I suspected it was not a serious problem and I just needed something to stop the bleeding. They used Surgicel from Johnson & Johnson which I will be adding to my first aid kit. I also got a tetanus shot which was probably a good idea. So There you have it.

You should have told them your experience from 2-3 weeks ago when you tried to unclog that sink...
Posted by: Fritz
Date: January 22, 2011 07:26AM
Been there done that. Held hand high. Band aid. Bag balm.
Decent shape after a week. And the finger was undetectable in the pizza.
Posted by: DP
Date: January 22, 2011 07:31AM
I want to know how the hell you did it!
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: January 22, 2011 09:20AM
DP
I want to know how the hell you did it!

> "So I get there and the staff has a good laugh about how I got in a knife fight with a tomato and lost."

I'm curious as to how much that little trip to the ER is gonna cost you. Tons, I'll bet. eye twitch smiley

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Posted by: billb
Date: January 22, 2011 09:22AM
no one wants to know if he has a matching weiner ?
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: January 22, 2011 09:44AM
Hope you get to feeling better. We have a place called ProMed nearby that's excellent for stuff like this
a bit higher than a reg. Phys. but you're in and out very quickly and what few times we've used them
the Dr. there owes the franchise and he's very good.

Grateful11
Posted by: freeradical
Date: January 22, 2011 11:18AM
I had a pretty serious accident with a vegetable peeler once. I was peeling potatoes to make some french fries.

I didn't cut the tip of my finger off, so I just applied pressure to the dangling piece of flesh and bandaged it well.

There is no sign that I ever injured myself now.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: January 22, 2011 11:19AM
There are two "urgent care" centers now that are not too far from where I live: one or the other of them is always open. The co-pay with my crappy insurance is $100 for a visit to the urgent care center, vs. $250 to go to the ER. It's worth finding out whether there are any urgent care clinics near you.
Date: January 22, 2011 11:34AM
+1 on the regeneration if young

happened to my niece.
top part of finger (whole part which would include whole fingernail) lost in closing VW bug door.
It grew back, nail and all completely matching the finger on the other hand. Can't tell today that it was cut off.
In fact, I don't think she remembers which finger it was.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: January 22, 2011 11:59AM
This would be a good time for lazydays to sharpen his knives. They are much safer. Also, when you cut yourself with a sharp knife, the wound will heal faster than it does if you get cut by a dull knife.

You can also get special tomato knives. They have a very fine serrated edge that does not slip.
Date: January 22, 2011 12:18PM
lazydays
so i cut the tip of my finger off.

now that that's out of the way ...
Posted by: SteveO
Date: January 22, 2011 12:59PM
Glad you are okay. Whew.
Posted by: MikeF
Date: January 22, 2011 01:19PM
Maybe there are some rabbi openings in your area for a second job.
Date: January 22, 2011 01:46PM
You know, there's always that guy who is always getting hurt in some stupid way or having strange things happen to him? That's me. There's always something going on.
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 22, 2011 02:07PM
I was 10 when I was counting the gears on a piece of machinery used to extract honey from those honeycombs, I wanted to figure out the ratio of the gears. My sister came and turned the handle. The index finger went through the gears and came out on the other side with the nail hanging like the chad in the 2000 presidential election, and I think I saw the bone. I went to the local dispensary and they bandaged it really nice and went back several times to change the bandage. I think I also took some medicine since those gears were very rusty! but today you can't even tell.
Posted by: apocketfulofwry
Date: January 22, 2011 02:11PM
My father once cut off the tip of his finger with a table saw. He picked up the severed piece, packed it in ice and went to the emergency room. The doctor took a quick look at the piece of finger and casually tossed it in the waste bin. He then pulled a flap of skin over the end of my father's finger, stitched it up, put on a dressing and sent him home.

Then there was a friend of the family who cut off his thumb with a chainsaw. That they did reattach and he regained most of its former function after many months of rehab.

Oh, and another friend who lost part of a finger to a fan belt when he stopped to help a stranded motorist. The piece was too mangled, so he's down to nine and half fingers.

Good times
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: January 22, 2011 06:28PM
A guy work cut half of one finger off on his table saw, got it fixed, went back to shop a few days later and cut off another one.

Grateful11
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 22, 2011 07:08PM
.....thought this would be a thread about leaving a TIP in a restaurant......barf smiley

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2011 07:57PM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 22, 2011 08:51PM
lazy, glad you got taken care of. Many of us have lost little bits of ourselves over time, Many of them grew back. Heck... I grew back an entire nerve bundle so I could regain my sense of smell ! (Took about 7 years, but hey..)

I'll always remember my high school shop teacher...

"Boys !", he said, waving all 2 1/2 of the remaining fingers in his right hand in the air, "Power tools is very dangerous !".

We all refused to ever, ever touch the power tools after that.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login