advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I Don't Have a Handgun. . .
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: January 25, 2011 07:05AM
But if I did, this "Drag and Draw Gun Vault" (or something like it) would be a necessity:

[www.myquicksafe.com]

I have often wondered how those with handguns could keep them loaded and nearby, yet safe from children and thieves. Is this the answer?

Don't like that thin cable, though. Easy to cut through.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I Don't Have a Handgun. . .
Posted by: Speedy
Date: January 25, 2011 07:23AM
Easy! If you have bigger guns the kids can't lift them until they are old enough to use them. Like when they are four or five.

mrlynn
I have often wondered how those with handguns could keep them loaded and nearby, yet safe from children and thieves. Is this the answer?

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 25, 2011 07:32AM
The normal method is a 'drawer safe' that involves a short combination.
Gun safety is like any other form of safety.. it requires a multi-layered approach to safety.

In my household, this involves:
Layer 1 (Physical)- All weapons are in a gun safe, in unloaded condition.
Layer 2 (Physical)- All weapons have trigger locks on them.
Layer 3 (Physical)- All ammunition is in the gun safe in a separate locked ammo can.
Layer 4 (Physical)- The keys are in my work backpack, which follows me everywhere
Layer 5 (Educational)- Everyone in the family has gotten a short course in gun safety.
Layer 6 (Educational)- Everyone in the family has been taught how to shoot.

Please note: I don't keep a loaded gun for 'home defense'. We live in a very safe suburban neighborhood. We have Chihuahuas for an alarm system, and a baseball bat and an old cavalry saber in the closet. Yes. a sword. Yes, I know how to use it. Fenced NCAA in college. I defy any burglar to get very far with a Chihuahua attached to his nose.
Posted by: Doc
Date: January 25, 2011 07:34AM
mrlynn
I have often wondered how those with handguns could keep them loaded and nearby, yet safe from children and thieves.

You're not thinking of a regular gun owner. What you're characterizing there is a "criminally reckless jackass."

Responsible gun owners keep them unloaded in a gun-safe (or locked in a secure case) with the ammo locked away separately and all of it well out of reach of kids.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: January 25, 2011 07:35AM

$29.95 holster not included!

But seriously I have a wall safe in the closet.
Amazon partner $29.00

The keys are hanging on a nail and the clothes are a bigger deterrent than the lock.

Staunton, Virginia

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2011 08:10AM by Bernie.
Posted by: Spock
Date: January 25, 2011 07:37AM
Nearly $200.00 ...... No Thanks.

Comedy Central: Best news channel that isn't a news channel.

Fox News: Best comedy channel that isn't a comedy channel.
Date: January 25, 2011 07:47AM
Doc
mrlynn
I have often wondered how those with handguns could keep them loaded and nearby, yet safe from children and thieves.

You're not thinking of a regular gun owner. What you're characterizing there is a "criminally reckless jackass."

Responsible gun owners keep them unloaded in a gun-safe (or locked in a secure case) with the ammo locked away separately and all of it well out of reach of kids.

Nevertheless, there is an argument, even in 'safe' suburbs, for keeping a weapon at the ready in case of a home invasion. And there are plenty of those in the news these days.

/Mr Lynn
Posted by: Speedy
Date: January 25, 2011 07:50AM
Invaders looking for your guns, no doubt.

mrlynn
Nevertheless, there is an argument, even in 'safe' suburbs, for keeping a weapon at the ready in case of a home invasion. And there are plenty of those in the news these days.

/Mr Lynn

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 25, 2011 08:12AM
Mr Lynn.. if you are reasonably concerned about home invasions in your area (yes, they are more prevalent in some areas, especially those wealthy suburbs within easy getaway distance from gang areas), and want to look into home defense, go to your local sporting goods store and ask about home defense classes and the like. You'll find some serious pros (typically police officers) teaching classes, and you'll get excellent tips.

If I DID keep a loaded weapon 'handy', I would use a drawer safe that would be bolted to my table, with either a biometric scanner or a quick combination. And I'd keep a .357. or a .44 double action revolver with the following loads:
1- Empty under the hammer
2- Shotgun round (non-fatal at more than 5 feet range, instant acne)
3- Glaser safety slug (fragmentation bullet, won't got through walls)
4- Glaser Safety slug
5- Wadcutter (WILL go through walls)
6- Wadcutter

The few times I've been threatened enough to carry a weapon in my house, it's been a double barreled .20 gage shotgun. Barrel #1 was a bird shot load, Barrel #2 was a deer slug. The worst was when someone burned a cross in our back yard. Yes. A cross. And yes, we're C^2's (Caucasian Catholics). It was a very weird situation.
Posted by: Dakota
Date: January 25, 2011 08:38AM
Doc

It would be even safer if you left it at the gun shop. When you need one you can go and buy it. Problem solved.

After you discover you're riding a dead horse, your best strategy is to dismount.
Date: January 25, 2011 08:53AM
When ever second counts:

the police are only minutes away.

Staunton, Virginia
Date: January 25, 2011 08:55AM
cbelt3
Mr Lynn.. if you are reasonably concerned about home invasions in your area (yes, they are more prevalent in some areas, especially those wealthy suburbs within easy getaway distance from gang areas), and want to look into home defense, go to your local sporting goods store and ask about home defense classes and the like. You'll find some serious pros (typically police officers) teaching classes, and you'll get excellent tips. . .

I'm not overly concerned here, and I don't own a gun. We do have a couple of medium-sized, noisy dogs. But there seems to have been an rash of home invasions in some areas, e.g. in the DC suburbs. Of course they often prey on old people, who are particularly defenseless.

The few times I've been threatened enough to carry a weapon in my house, it's been a double barreled .20 gage shotgun. Barrel #1 was a bird shot load, Barrel #2 was a deer slug. The worst was when someone burned a cross in our back yard. Yes. A cross. And yes, we're C^2's (Caucasian Catholics). It was a very weird situation.

The Klan? They were (are?) anti-Catholic as well as anti-black, anti-Jew, anti-. . . Or a prank?

/Mr Lynn
Posted by: billb
Date: January 25, 2011 08:55AM
that is hardly a deterrent for a home invasion.
your kitchen is full of tools to remove your finger from your possession to use to open it
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: January 25, 2011 09:15AM
Bernie
...But seriously I have a wall safe in the closet.
Amazon partner $29.00

The keys are hanging on a nail and the clothes are a bigger deterrent than the lock.

I suppose that works, but I prefer something like this (no key to lose - but you better not forget the "combo" ):

Date: January 25, 2011 09:39AM
Or let the batteries die.

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: Dakota
Date: January 25, 2011 09:48AM
Tried and true for generations: under the pillow.

After you discover you're riding a dead horse, your best strategy is to dismount.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: January 25, 2011 10:44AM
Bernie
When ever second counts:

the police are only minutes away.

That's right; the job of the police is not to prevent crimes, but to clean up and investigate after one has happened.
Posted by: Buck
Date: January 25, 2011 01:34PM
What about the rifle hanging in the back of my pickup? smiling smiley
Posted by: silvarios
Date: January 25, 2011 02:32PM
freeradical
That's right; the job of the police is not to prevent crimes, but to clean up and investigate after one has happened.

Have you ever talked to law enforcement? There are many initiative by law enforcement, yes, even the police themselves to combat crime by crime prevention. But I get the thrust of your point, hyperbole aside.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2011 02:36PM by silvarios.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: January 25, 2011 03:37PM

That's total BS, but it's often what happens.

silvarios is far more diplomatic than I.

Excellent advice for target shooters.

And regardless of what measures one employs for storage and defense, nothing is more important that training.

Home invaders (generally multiple suspects), burglars, rapists, or any other criminal who is going to come into your home, have the advantage of surprise.

If you are going to use a weapon to defend yourself (yes, a baseball bat is a weapon when used as one) know the law in your area. The "tried by twelve rather than carried by six axiom" is usually espoused by idiots and is never a replacement for knowing your responsibilities.

Injuring or killing the wrong person will generally not be resolved with a "Well, I thought he was trying to... blah blah blah".

Most people who buy a gun for "home defense" just don't know what they're doing, and have a very good chance of having their weapon used against them. There have been many cases where a homeowner fails (yes, fails) to shoot when they should have, resulting in injury or death at the hands of an intruder.

There are other serious and tragic pitfalls such as shooting a family member accidentally because they thought they "heard a prowler".

I will not debate the "guns/no guns" merits. That's not what this is about.

Without training and practice, the homeowner/gun owner is on perilous ground. The more complicated your defense methodology, the more likely you are to screw up under pressure.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: January 25, 2011 04:33PM
RAMd®d
...The more complicated your defense methodology, the more likely you are to screw up under pressure.

agree smiley

I wouldn't trust the average schmuck to be able to turn on a light switch under pressure. Retrieve, ready, and fire a weapon (at the right target)? Doubtful...very doubtful. When I think of the average American, I think Homer Simpson, not Massad Ayoob...
Posted by: Doc
Date: January 25, 2011 04:57PM
SDGuy
I wouldn't trust the average schmuck to be able to turn on a light switch under pressure. Retrieve, ready, and fire a weapon (at the right target)? Doubtful...very doubtful. When I think of the average American, I think Homer Simpson, not Massad Ayoob...

And I wouldn't even trust a cop or a well-trained soldier to use good judgment in a high-pressure situation when he's armed and primed for a conflict.

...Which is another reason why a gun in a home should always be locked up and stored away from the ammo.

Your best defenses against an intruder are solid doors and windows, a good alarm and a handy telephone.
Posted by: Mini 9
Date: January 25, 2011 06:09PM
hey ,I tried to make it cheap and easy for you all to have a handgun this past weekend but somebody thinks the constitutionally protected right is verboten to post here. $97 for a new .380.
Sorry I did my part and they want to keep law abiding adults from the truth or they want to impose their own censorship. shrug.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2011 06:19PM by Mini 9.
Date: January 25, 2011 06:58PM
That is weird, Mini 9. How is a deal for a gun any different from a deal for a hard drive, or a waffle iron?

/Mr Lynn
Date: January 25, 2011 07:11PM
mrlynn
That is weird, Mini 9. How is a deal for a gun any different from a deal for a hard drive, or a waffle iron?

To be fair, there are different restrictions when purchasing a handgun versus a waffle iron or hard drive.
Date: January 25, 2011 08:36PM
silvarios
mrlynn

To be fair, there are different restrictions when purchasing a handgun versus a waffle iron or hard drive.

True, but relevant here?

/Mr Lynn
Date: January 26, 2011 12:04PM
You asked how it was any different, I told you. If it isn't relevant why ask the question?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 203
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020