advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
iGTD (Getting Things Done) is... well, Done! Things, or what else?
Posted by: space-time
Date: February 03, 2011 08:38PM
what "getting things done" software are you using?

Thanks
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: iGTD (Getting Things Done) is... well, Done! Things, or what else?
Posted by: earache
Date: February 03, 2011 08:46PM
I've recently started using 2Do. Full featured app and very nice interface.

earache
Posted by: Greg
Date: February 03, 2011 08:56PM
OmniFocus. Lovely, lovely program.
Posted by: vision63
Date: February 04, 2011 12:37AM
This is probably why I never get things done.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 04, 2011 06:53AM
I was gonna load iProcrastinate, but I clicked on a link and....
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: February 04, 2011 07:49AM
In fact, now using Things.
I believe that's where the guy who created iGTD moved on to.

I like the Things as much as iGTD; especially like the Things iPhone app.
Posted by: space-time
Date: February 04, 2011 11:50AM
cbelt3
I was gonna load iProcrastinate, but I clicked on a link and....

Tell me about it.... I wanted to ask about iGTD for maybe 2 years now... POMTL
Posted by: Doc
Date: February 04, 2011 12:21PM
You guys and your silly computer playthings.

I've taken virtual reality at its literal meaning for my to-do application and the efficiency of my system simply cannot be beaten by the pitiful computational power of a modern computer.

(Seriously: I don't see why anyone bothers with to-do list apps. I've tried dozens of "productivity" apps and not one improves upon what I can do with paper and a pencil.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2011 12:22PM by Doc.
Date: February 04, 2011 04:03PM
Doc
(Seriously: I don't see why anyone bothers with to-do list apps. I've tried dozens of "productivity" apps and not one improves upon what I can do with paper and a pencil.)

Because life is more complex than can be represented on a simple list.
Posted by: Doc
Date: February 05, 2011 10:03AM
Greg
Doc

Because life is more complex than can be represented on a simple list.

What kinds of things do you put on your to-do lists that are so complex that they can't be written or sketched?

In what manner does a computerized to-do list circumvent those limitations?
Date: February 05, 2011 10:32AM
It's not a to-do list. And everything could be put on paper, but I don't want to, in the same way that I don't wish to use paper spreadsheets, or build an org chart without Visio.

The tool I use (OmniFocus) isn't just for keeping track of what I have to do today; it's for keeping track of all life projects, the sub-projects of each projects, and the context for each. Let me give an example:

Last year, I had a trauma. It's an rather personal example, but a good one, so I'll go with it.

To say the least, I had things to do. I had to take care of the pets (prepare feeding schedules, buy stuff at the pet store), do car stuff (sell one (do research, make phone calls), register the other (do research, fill out forms, make run to DMV)), contact various businesses and agencies (do research, fill out forms), work with an attorney (get recommendations, fill out forms), get death certs (make phone calls, pick up certs), do shopping (grocery store, Target, Amazon).

Etc.

Across projects and subprojects, each little task has a context (phone, fax, Target). If I'm sitting down to make phone calls, I can ask the software to gather all phone-context items and show them to me. If I'm out near Target, the software can show me all Target-context tasks. If I'm at the computer, show me all web-based tasks (Amazon shopping, for example).

The software isn't for making to-do lists; it makes the to-do lists for me. The software is for offloading all the crap (personal, work...everything) that I would otherwise have to carry in my head.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: February 06, 2011 10:52AM
Greg
... If I'm sitting down to make phone calls, I can ask the software to gather all phone-context items and show them to me. If I'm out near Target, the software can show me all Target-context tasks. If I'm at the computer, show me all web-based tasks (Amazon shopping, for example).

The software isn't for making to-do lists; it makes the to-do lists for me. ....

Having never used such stuff, I'd never seen a better explanation than that.

I think I need something that says, "hey dummy, bring the reusable shopping bags this time!" or "turn around, you just passed Store X and you were gonna get something there, mkay?"

Time management was a never a skill I mastered, but to give myself some credit I do actually get things done, just never in the order structured order implies.

Fun fact: in college, with a paper nowhere near ready to be handed in, on the advice of a roommate I approached the prof and declared I was having "a bit of a time management problem"---thinking that the "sophistication" of the working would impress him enough to say, "no problem." Without missing a beat, and before I could completely finish my sentence, without looking up he dryly said, "aren't we all." Lesson learned.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 114
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018