advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $103.30 ( +0.80 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How to make permanent markers where survey flags are now?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: February 09, 2011 06:26PM
My neighbor had a survey done and they left wood stakes with orange ribbons that will only last awhile. We are in the woods and it has always been impossible to know where the line is, partly because the land seems cockeyed because of a highline and road that are both not lined up with the main highway, which is not visible.

I have seen some "official" looking markers in the past, but I don't know how they were made. Of course, the first thing that comes to mind it the good-ole-boy favorite, kwikcrete. I would get an auger and some soup cans or vegetable cans and concrete.

How high should they stick up? They would be in the woods except for one, which is in a highline and needs to be low enough not to be bush-hogged. Is there an indestructible fluorescent nylon thing that could be sticking out a few inches?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How to make permanent markers where survey flags are now?
Posted by: davester
Date: February 09, 2011 06:31PM
There are plenty of survey markers available from a variety of companies. The most critical thing to do is to put in a galvanized steel anchor (like a big nail) that can be found later with a metal detector. There are all sorts of options for adding markers and flags above ground.

Here's one supplier: [usmarkers.com]

Your neighbor's surveyor no doubt has markers and for a price would probably come out and install them for you. Give him a call.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2011 06:32PM by davester.
Posted by: M>B>
Date: February 09, 2011 06:36PM
Lots of choices...

[fficial&client=firefox-a" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" >www.google.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2011 06:38PM by M>B>.
Posted by: Jack D.
Date: February 09, 2011 06:47PM
I have used the good old Hunk-O-Pipe and a sledge hammer to 'install' property markers around my little piece of the rock. My neighbor had a concrete marker that he hit almost every time while mowing the lawn. I helped him dig it up because it was wreaking havoc on the mower blade.

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!
Posted by: Panopticon
Date: February 09, 2011 07:05PM
Two-foot lengths of galvanized #4 rebar, driven into the ground about 3" below the surface. Coat the cut ends with epoxy 24hrs before doing the job.

You'll always be able to find them with an inexpensive metal detector.

Date: February 09, 2011 07:46PM
These will all be in the pine woods except for one in the highline right-of-way. A rancher friend said to use 4" PVC with concrete and write the year in the concrete top. I could put the rebar in the pipe to make it easier to find with a metal detector.

I want something( in addition to metal) which can be found easily and visually by timber men who are always wanting to look at the pine. Some sort of fluorescent nylon flexible rod length sticking up out of the top is what I am trying to figure out how to do and what to use.
Posted by: davester
Date: February 09, 2011 07:54PM
Dennis S
Some sort of fluorescent nylon flexible rod length sticking up out of the top is what I am trying to figure out how to do and what to use.

There were some things like that on the link I posted. Did you click on it?

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: February 09, 2011 08:20PM
I used studded T-posts when I had my properties surveyed. I get 7 footers and pound them down about 4' and leave the remaining 3' above ground. This is in my woods though, and I don't cut or brush hog out there. I want anyone who passes by to see the markers.

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Date: February 09, 2011 08:22PM
davester
Dennis S
Some sort of fluorescent nylon flexible rod length sticking up out of the top is what I am trying to figure out how to do and what to use.

There were some things like that on the link I posted. Did you click on it?

Yes, that's it.. Thanks. They just now downloaded at 24 kbps. Since I only need less than a dozen, I was hoping to find something used for another purpose that would work. (Cheap)
Posted by: datbeme
Date: February 09, 2011 08:31PM
This is why this place is so awesome. The only reason I read this thread is because of the title and knowing several excellent answers were forthcoming.
Posted by: rgG
Date: February 09, 2011 08:40PM
I thought we were talking about Sharpies. grinning smiley

Alpharetta, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 09, 2011 10:30PM
Aside from an old school stone fence (Robert Frost style), the metal stake concept is a good one. Yes, those fluorescent driveway markers are a good option, but not very 'permanent'.
Posted by: billb
Date: February 10, 2011 09:30AM
The wood stakes and flags could be meaningless.
It's not uncommon to find those orange stakes with the nail in the top (painted with high visibility paint, usually red or orange) offset from a property line.
(Rather than cut down a valuable tree - laser your way around it)
Here we have bounds and they are often buried several inches under the ground so they do not get disturbed.

Bounds ( those square cement or stone things with the little bronze marker glued to the top can be illegal to disturb in some states) around here are buried so no one disturbs them. They are supposed to be deep enough so frost heaves don't push them up or over.
A fine for disturbing one can be the cost of a complete survey to replace just that one.
A bound can also be drilled into a large rock that is buried in the ground and too big to move.
\------------------------

I've used rebar and painted them orange .

I would make damned sure I wasn't putting rods in the ground at transit offsets, though. You want to be on the line. Or some states require any markers put in by a unlicensed person to be on your property, not on the line. ( think fence rules)

edit: Bounds at property corners - in between can be rebar or just those little wooden temporary stakes painted orange. Sometimes with a nail in the top, sometimes with numbers on them..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2011 09:35AM by billb.
Posted by: michael_s
Date: February 10, 2011 01:38PM
I used a t-post, like others before me mentioned. Then I took some of that orange pipe they run underground phone/fiber thru. ( i found some scraps). I slide it over the pipe for visibility.
Works great.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login