advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Well, crap. Pop3now.com is shutting down.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: May 31, 2006 05:34AM
Anybody care to recommend another web-based POP email reader?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Well, crap. Pop3now.com is shutting down.
Posted by: Frank Pardue
Date: May 31, 2006 06:06AM
Try mail2web.com and see if that suits you.
Date: May 31, 2006 06:18AM
Frank Pardue
Try mail2web.com and see if that suits you.

Nope, that one is on too many site-blocking filters. Any other suggestions?
Posted by: elmo3
Date: May 31, 2006 06:18AM
Free, or pay?

---------------

In the words of DharmaDog: "it may or may not be utter horse@#$%&, but it shouldn't be dismissed simply because it doesn't agree with your opinion."

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Trying is the first step to failure. -- Homer Simpson
Date: May 31, 2006 06:19AM
Either. I've been paying for pop3now for a while now ($10 a year). Free would be fine, though.
Posted by: Tofer
Date: May 31, 2006 07:14AM
May I ask what domain you are trying to get your mail from? 99.9% of e-mail providers have a webmail front end now...maybe your provider has since implemented one?

-Tofer
Date: May 31, 2006 07:17AM
Tofer
May I ask what domain you are trying to get your mail from? 99.9% of e-mail providers have a webmail front end now...maybe your provider has since implemented one?
<br />
<br />
-Tofer

Indeed they have, but like mail2web.com, that site is also blocked by sys admins who are convinced all users are spam-virus-clicking idiots.
Posted by: Tofer
Date: May 31, 2006 07:20AM
Ah, of course. Any chance you can use VNC from work? You could VNC to a home computer that was left on and do whatever you want. I'm guessing your admins have blocked VNC access, too, though.

-Tofer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2006 07:21AM by Tofer.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: May 31, 2006 07:25AM
Gmail?

Email me if you want/need an invite.
Date: May 31, 2006 07:33AM
Thanks. Got one already, it's also blocked.
Posted by: freescotland
Date: May 31, 2006 08:08AM
I've been pleased with fastmail. Free and pay version, I use the pay.

It's IMAP, though.
Date: May 31, 2006 08:13AM
Ah. I understand the issue now.

The fact is, if your corporate system doesn't allow mail sites, it doesn't allow mail sites. Period.

You could simply forward your personal mail to your work mail, or you could get a cellular account for a laptop.

---------------

In the words of DharmaDog: &amp;quot;it may or may not be utter horse@#$%&, but it shouldn't be dismissed simply because it doesn't agree with your opinion.&amp;quot;

Posted by: Mike Sellers
Date: May 31, 2006 08:20AM
If they block Gmail? That's pretty extreme. One place I work for has actually told people to stop using their work e-mail for personal messages and encouraged them to use other resources like Gmail.

Admins can be petty little tyrants sometimes.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: May 31, 2006 08:23AM
Too bad. Since gmail is "mail.google.com", it usually isn't blocked since google.com isn't blocked.

But if you find an unblocked site, they will probably block it eventually anyway.
Date: May 31, 2006 09:16AM
The issue isn't "petty tyrants"; it's corporate policy, which in cases like this stems from the fact that nasty things come in via email.

To keep the nasties out, the corporation puts heavy resources into its email system and prevents users from accessing other email systems.

It's not that they don't want you to have personal email so much as they don't want the nasties.

And, Lux, the blocking mechanism that companies like this use is a whole lot more sophisticated than "*.google.com".

Overall, I agree that people should not use company email systems for personal use--for many reasons. If they set up or otherwise allow an alternate method like gmail, great. But there are, as I outlined above, reasons for not allowing it at all.

And then there's the productivity piece of it. It's easier for managers if they don't have to police this stuff. I know of one guy who worked at a smaller (but not small) family owned concern (they employ over 100 people); he was only there 6 months. Even after being warned about keeping his chat window open and doing personal email, he took that to mean "I'll just keep the chat down to one person." The company is rather old fashioned, has no policy for anything like this, has never run into anything like this, so they found it easier just to let him go.

Like it or not, such is the world. Bloggers run into similar issues.

My company blocks obvious and popular chat mechanisms, but apparently the word "forum" in the URL in and of itself is not a trigger. Some forums are blocked, some are not.

But then, many people work out of their homes...

---------------

In the words of DharmaDog: &amp;quot;it may or may not be utter horse@#$%&, but it shouldn't be dismissed simply because it doesn't agree with your opinion.&amp;quot;

Posted by: Mike Sellers
Date: May 31, 2006 09:31AM
Seems to me a good admin would know how to install effective anti-virus and anti-spyware and not have to take the slash-n-burn approach. But the latter is easier, or course. And my "petty tyrant" comment was directed to those types. I have no problem with the ones who ban personal e-mail via the corporate e-mail program. I tell all my friends not to use their company e-mail for anything personal.
Posted by: ADent
Date: May 31, 2006 10:05AM
The problem is they don't roll out the MS patches immediately - they have to be tested to verify they don't cause problems.

The industrial strength firewall can be updated quickly and catches everything they can. But the road warries will bring it inside the firewall with the laptops.

They have added personal firewalls to the laptop which makes all but the latest models useless ( firewall + virus scan + corporate updater SW + backup SW runs and sucks CPU cycles all before you fire up MSIE or Outlook). They could load all this crap on the PCs but again all the 3-4 year old 2GHz machines with 256MB (some have 512) would puke.

Somebody somewhere infected the network by getting personal email and now all email is banned that does not go thru the corporate system. All email sites are banned. They have warned if you get caught (esp if you infect something) bypassing this you will be in trouble.
Posted by: volcs0
Date: May 31, 2006 11:12AM
Use an anonymizer (google for it) - you can then use any website you want. At least that works for me for sites my work blocks.

[www.freeproxy.ru]
Posted by: JJ_TKOB
Date: May 31, 2006 03:05PM
A lot of anonymous proxy servers also get blocked by the "administrators" who really aren't the geniuses they believe themselves to be.

Everytime something gets blocked, a new way around it is discovered.

For example...

There is a service which formats webpages for your mobile phone or PDA. This service essentially performs as a proxy as it takes the actual page and reformats it. I forget the name right now, but you can get to their website and "try it" for free. This should allow you to connect and login to your web-based email of choice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2006 03:06PM by JJ_TKOB.
Posted by: pinion
Date: June 01, 2006 09:18AM
[demo.mobileleap.net]?

---“What you permit, you promote. What you allow, you encourage. What you condone, you own.”
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 78
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018