advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
So if you were planning a "dream vacation" - where would you go?
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: March 01, 2011 12:59PM
Just a little mental excercise for ya today...

My morning is consisting mostly of waiting for downloads and hard drive clones to complete...

So.. you have two or three weeks off...
And around $20K ( assume this is after getting out of debt, etc - it's vacation money...).

What sort of trip would you do?
Where would you go?
What would you see?
What hookers would you share booze with? (j/k... mostly..)

In wikipedia surfing, I stumbled on an old dream vacation...
The trans-siberian railway!
I would love to start in London, take the train to Paris, to Vienna, Bucharest, then through to Moscow.. PREFERABLY with a couple days stops at each city.
Get on the Trans Siberian Railaway, and end up in Vladivostok, again preferably with stops of a day or so in several cities.
Catch a flight or ferry to Japan...
Flight to the Phillipines to say howdy to haikuman, of course, and then a flight to the west coast and home.

Of course, to do that all in 20K is going to mean no "first class" cabins on the train... (first class without stops from Moscow to Vladivostok is surprisingly inexpensive at around $1500 though...). The air-fair to London and the Japan to West Coast part would be expensive, I think!

I think that would a HECK of a neat trip!

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: So if you were planning a "dream vacation" - where would you go?
Posted by: jdc
Date: March 01, 2011 01:03PM
You need to define "vacation".

to me vacation = doing absolutely nothing

some people think its backpacking for 2 weeks.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: timg
Date: March 01, 2011 01:03PM
"So.. you have two or three weeks off...
And around $20K"

I'd be spending the 2 or 3 weeks and the $20K doing home improvement projects...

but that's me.

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Posted by: microchip
Date: March 01, 2011 01:08PM
I would buy an old classic sports car for around $5k, something horribly unreliable, and then spend said weeks driving(or attempting to drive) the car around the US stopping at coffee shops.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: March 01, 2011 01:23PM
Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica for 2 weeks, then use the remaining $19k on local hookers and booze closer to your home.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2011 01:24PM by ztirffritz.
Date: March 01, 2011 01:25PM
jdc;
For the purposes of this conversation, let's just say the definition is "Leisure travel with light personal energy expenditure" :-)

timg
I'd be spending the 2 or 3 weeks and the $20K doing home improvement projects...

For the purposes of this conversation, we're assuming that those home improvements have already been done with the magic hypothetical "other $20K" you got.

microchip
I would buy an old classic sports car for around $5k, something horribly unreliable, and then spend said weeks driving(or attempting to drive) the car around the US stopping at coffee shops.

THAT would be a fun road-trip! No doubt about it!
It would be fun to fly to some extremeity of the US (Los Angeles, Miami, Seattle, or Maine...) and buy the car, and make it a goal to hit, say, 40 states.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: March 01, 2011 01:26PM
A friend went on an around the world trip for about... $14k(?). It took 13 months. She briefly worked in some spots and waited for deals on travel. Got busted riding the subway without a pass/token in some EU country. Abbreviated preliminary itinerary: Honduras, Peru, Argentina, New Zealand, Bali, Nepal, China, trans-Siberian railway to Russia, Norway, Spain.

In tha 360. MRF User Map

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2011 01:29PM by Filliam H. Muffman.
Posted by: zero
Date: March 01, 2011 01:29PM
jdc
You need to define "vacation".

to me vacation = doing absolutely nothing

some people think its backpacking for 2 weeks.

He asked where would YOU go.
Date: March 01, 2011 01:30PM
Very cool!

I have a hard time envisioning doing that trip for $14K, but if she worked a bit in some spots to minimize out of pocket costs, I can see it...

Did she pre-plan a lot of the travel, or just "wing it" as she went?

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: March 01, 2011 01:31PM
I've always wanted to explore Australia and surrounding points of interest, but I think I would need more than 2-3 weeks. Definitely would rather be on my own than in some kind of package deal with tour guide, schedule, etc. I like to do things at my own pace and when *I* feel like doing it.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Date: March 01, 2011 01:34PM
Rick-o
I've always wanted to explore Australia and surrounding points of interest, but I think I would need more than 2-3 weeks. Definitely would rather be on my own than in some kind of package deal with tour guide, schedule, etc. I like to do things at my own pace and when *I* feel like doing it.

I sort of "half-like" the idea of guided tours...
I would love the knowledge and experience of a guide, but it would be way better to be able to say "thanks for the guided tour this far, I'll be back in 3-4 days, and we can move on to the next city in the package".

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: kap
Date: March 01, 2011 01:45PM
Bicycling/backpacking the unspoiled lands and rain forests of Tibet, China, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and Siberia and the 49 states.

SoCal for now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2011 01:45PM by kap.
Posted by: timg
Date: March 01, 2011 01:50PM
Paul F.

timg

For the purposes of this conversation, we're assuming that those home improvements have already been done with the magic hypothetical "other $20K" you got.

Well, if you want my "dream" vacation, you'd need whole lot more than $20K ...

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Posted by: abevilac
Date: March 01, 2011 01:51PM
A few years ago, my husband, daughter and I spent 5 weeks in France; each week in a different house [called 'gites'] in a different area of France. It was wonderful and we often talk about doing it again. We did one of those deals where you actually buy the car and then sell it back at the end of the trip. I don't remember exactly how much it cost but it was less than 20K for the whole trip. [I remember one 400 yr old house on a canal in Brittany was only $300 for the week.] mmmm...thanks, Paul, for bringing back that memory! :-)
Date: March 01, 2011 02:03PM
abevilac;
Dang... that would be a fun trip too! :-)

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: davester
Date: March 01, 2011 02:24PM
I'm torn between trekking into the Himalayas and taking a safari trip in Africa.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Buzz
Date: March 01, 2011 02:24PM
Paul- for you, I'd suggest a trip to the Playboy mansion, and enjoying the eats at Pink's (hot dogs), Tommy's (chili burgers), Phillipe's (french dip sammies), Jody Maroni's (gourmet sausages), etc. while in LA, then venturing over the hill into the SFV, pron capital of the world, where somebody you meet at the mansion will have gotten you at least a co-starring role in a major new pron flick. Bring your toys, and blast away at ranges in Angeles Crest, and maybe at a jaunt up to the Kern County line, before packing up cutting back to beach and then driving home up the coast. When you're done, compare your trip w/ pinkoos' kids' trip to Disneyland here in the forum, and see who had more fun. thumbsup smiley

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: March 01, 2011 02:32PM
IN HER PRIVATES!!!!

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: March 01, 2011 02:36PM
She had the itinerary of locations planned out. How long she stayed in each location was generally dependent on how the travel plans got finalized.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: jdc
Date: March 01, 2011 02:37PM
kap
Bicycling/backpacking the unspoiled lands and rain forests of Tibet, China, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and Siberia and the 49 states.

Now, see, that sounds like "work" -- a lot of it.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: testcase
Date: March 01, 2011 02:54PM
I'd give serious thought to Australia. Just about the other side of the world for me. Never having been there, I think it could qualify as a "Dream Vacation". Once there, sailing, SCUBA diving, horses, rent a small plane for some flight seeing, barbecues. I could easily fill two weeks!
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: March 01, 2011 03:04PM
microchip

Soooo...like an episode of Top Gear.

And the wife and I would probably go to Paris and just see where that leads. We've always wanted to go back. Hell...20k would probably pay for the first class seats to get there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2011 03:06PM by bazookaman.
Posted by: rz
Date: March 01, 2011 03:15PM
Filliam H. Muffman
A friend went on an around the world trip for about... $14k(?). It took 13 months. She briefly worked in some spots and waited for deals on travel. Got busted riding the subway without a pass/token in some EU country. Abbreviated preliminary itinerary: Honduras, Peru, Argentina, New Zealand, Bali, Nepal, China, trans-Siberian railway to Russia, Norway, Spain.

Buddy of mine did the same thing several years ago. Took a year off work and went all over the world. Did basically all of Europe, Morocco, Australia, New Zealand and a few other places I can't remember. He stayed mostly in "youth" hostels (even though he was around 40 at the time). He made a lot of local friends who would invite him to stay with them. Someone in Australia basically gave him an old beat up car which he used to get around for about a month, then exchanged it for 2 weeks' accomodation at a hotel near Sydney. He said the whole trip cost less than $10K. I helped him with some computer stuff a few years ago, and the videos and pictures from his trip took up something like 120 GB in his computer.

If it were me, I'd be SCUBA diving throughout the South Pacific.
Posted by: billb
Date: March 01, 2011 03:25PM
Can I have another 60K and a few extra days off and hop on the Queen Mary 2 for the 108 day round the world cruise ?

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: March 01, 2011 03:26PM
During the 1991 Gulf War, I bought a round-trip ticket from Dallas to Paris for $300, bought a Eurail Pass for $300 and traveled from Paris through Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Saulzburg, Zurich, Nancy (France), and back to Paris in 21 days. I stayed with customers, slept in the train and only spent one night in a hotel. The whole trip cost less than $900.
Date: March 01, 2011 03:35PM
Dennis S
During the 1991 Gulf War, I bought a round-trip ticket from Dallas to Paris for $300, bought a Eurail Pass for $300 and traveled from Paris through Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Saulzburg, Zurich, Nancy (France), and back to Paris in 21 days. I stayed with customers, slept in the train and only spent one night in a hotel. The whole trip cost less than $900.

Now that is one smart/wise travel plan!

SoCal for now.
Posted by: MacArtist
Date: March 01, 2011 04:15PM
Ever since I started riding motorcycles, I've wanted to tour Europe. I don't know if it would cost $20K but wouldn't have to worry too much with that many $$.

Just take it nice an easy. Stop when I want. Ride when I want. No iron butt competition going on there.

I sit on a man’s back, choking him and making
him carry me, and yet assure myself and others
that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his
lot by all possible means — except by getting off
his back. - Leo Tolstoy, novelist and Philosopher
(1828-1910)

Posted by: Mini 9
Date: March 01, 2011 04:29PM
I would flip a coin and decide between my TWO types of vacations.

1. Go somewhere with a nice climate and sit on the beach and do nothing.
2. Go to an area I have never been before and try to drive as far as I can and take in as much as I can, and see what I see and do simple things, but nothing that delays me from getting to the next place.

A cruise is like the worst of both worlds. (I have not ready ANY replies yet).

I am also thinking about weaving in a third option in travel plans and that would be to travel somewhere and see how I could live there until I travel/live somewhere else.
Posted by: (vikm)
Date: March 01, 2011 05:04PM
Paul... All expenses paid? I'm most agreeable to your initial post. Jimmypoo's was in no way a bad idea either.
Posted by: zeppo2
Date: March 01, 2011 05:05PM
Same thing I usually do--find a good apartment in Paris and settle in for the three weeks. Three weeks is just enough time to get into a good routine (where to get the morning pain au chocolat et cafe, what cafe to have an afternoon pitcher of house wine, find a place to get the evening oysters). I've done this three times for about that long of a period, and by the end I feel more relaxed than if I'd gone to Maui or travelled to multiple destinations. So when do I get that check?
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: March 01, 2011 05:37PM
zeppo2
Same thing I usually do--find a good apartment in Paris and settle in for the three weeks. Three weeks is just enough time to get into a good routine (where to get the morning pain au chocolat et cafe, what cafe to have an afternoon pitcher of house wine, find a place to get the evening oysters). I've done this three times for about that long of a period, and by the end I feel more relaxed than if I'd gone to Maui or travelled to multiple destinations. So when do I get that check?

This sounds grand. I've been to Paris four times now, but the longest any single trip has been was eight days. Three weeks there would be perfect (my wife agrees).

It is what it is.
Date: March 01, 2011 06:47PM
vkim;

I wouldn't say "all expenses paid", but for the trip I outlined my quick back-of-the-post-it-note math guesstimated that excluding air fares, $20K would get me from london to at least vladivostok with some money for food and entertainment.

The Paris thing sounds pretty nice.. but there's places I'd go first...
Venice, Tuscany, Greece (maybe), Iceland (don't really know why), and a second trip to the United Kingdom (first coming up this summer).

I like the Trans-Siberian railway extended trip because of the expansive nature - and the reasonable cost (compared to "full blown" first class travel packages, that is).

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: maco
Date: March 01, 2011 07:11PM
Filliam H. Muffman

My wife and I took just over 3 months for our honeymoon. We traveled around the world with one carry-on bag each.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: March 01, 2011 07:13PM
I have heard the best way to travel is either with lots of money or almost no money.
Date: March 01, 2011 07:28PM
Before y'all go on your dream vacation, you must first be able to remove yourself from this forum!

SoCal for now.
Date: March 01, 2011 07:41PM
HA! No I don't...
That's what an iPad with 3G is for! :-)

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Buzz
Date: March 01, 2011 07:52PM
Dennis S

I got stuck in Cabo, watching the war at a local bar on CNN. We were staying at some friends' condo, and driving their "guest" beater car, a late 1960's Ford station wagon. Ended up staying almost an extra two weeks until we could catch a flight back. No where near as scenic, or historic, just similarly frugal travel during a wartime vacation. Those first few days while the U.S and allies locked up control of the airspace over there were made even more terrifying by being out of the country. For $20K, Paul should do something at least equally exciting and memorable, but much less stressful and hopefully filled w/ more "fun" fun (and good eats, and no internet until the trip is over).

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 01, 2011 08:19PM
Being an American, I only speak English and I prefer vacationing in a place where that limitation isn't.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: March 01, 2011 08:23PM
Eh.... English, a little german, a phrasebook, a good attitude and a big smile is usually enough to get a guy by.

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: March 01, 2011 08:56PM
Dennis S
I have heard the best way to travel is either with lots of money or almost no money.

Our around the world trip was certainly on a low budget.
Posted by: Black
Date: March 01, 2011 09:28PM
Been hankering for some Spanish immersion.
Would probably check out a few places in southern Mexico, and use the other $15k for a private security force.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Date: March 01, 2011 09:41PM
Black
Been hankering for some Spanish immersion.
Would probably check out a few places in southern Mexico, and use the other $15k for a private security force.

Back in my bachelor days I used to fly to Merida or Cancun each year where I would rent a VW Bug. I then would drive many a road big and small touring the archeological sites both big and small. I really liked the state of Chiapas.
Posted by: decay
Date: March 01, 2011 10:28PM
i'd like to intern for Anthony Bourdain if i could join him on his food/drink adventures.

alternately: Fiji.

[fijivacations.com]

[www.turtlefiji.com]

---
Posted by: davester
Date: March 02, 2011 11:27AM
Speedy
Being an American, I only speak English and I prefer vacationing in a place where that limitation isn't.

As Paul noted, language is seldom an issue when traveling unless you have a bad attitude. Sticking to english-speaking countries will severely limit your ability to experience interesting cultures and fascinating places.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 203
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020