advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
iPad 2 - 3G question
Posted by: earache
Date: March 02, 2011 01:28PM
Ok, so the new iPad supports both ATT and Verizon networks. This is great because a friend of mine lives out in the sticks and doesn't have any broadband access. She just wants to do email and some surfing so we're hoping 3G will work fairly well. According to the 3G maps she does have coverage from both providers, but doesn't know which provider will give her the fastest connection. Here's a question: Could she sign up for a month of Verizon 3G, test it out, cancel Verizon, then sign up for ATT, test, and then decide on which one is faster?

Also, does anyone know if Apple is still waiving their restocking fee? If we can't get good 3G, iPad will be returned.

earache
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: iPad 2 - 3G question
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: March 02, 2011 01:32PM
Waiving the restocking fee was for the iPhone 4 because of the reception issues - it didn't/doesn't apply to iPads. I'm not sure about canceling/changing providers....read the fine print!

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: michaelb
Date: March 02, 2011 01:36PM
I have a similar question. if the SIM card is removeable, is it possible to switch?
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: March 02, 2011 01:45PM
I would say to buy a prepaid (about $20) from each company and test it out at home during the peak times (8am-9 am, 11am-1pm, 5 pm-8pm).

I heard a rumor that Apple is going to get at least one of the companies to offer a prepaid plan for iPhone/iPad. I think it likely will be announced along with the cheaper iPhone this Summer.

In tha 360. MRF User Map

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2011 01:46PM by Filliam H. Muffman.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: March 02, 2011 02:10PM
earache
Here's a question: Could she sign up for a month of Verizon 3G, test it out, cancel Verizon, then sign up for ATT, test, and then decide on which one is faster?

From reading the specs, there is a Verizon iPad and an AT&T iPad. Apparently there is no dual service iPad.
Posted by: earache
Date: March 02, 2011 02:12PM
silvarios
earache
Here's a question: Could she sign up for a month of Verizon 3G, test it out, cancel Verizon, then sign up for ATT, test, and then decide on which one is faster?

From reading the specs, there is a Verizon iPad and an AT&T iPad. Apparently there is no dual service iPad.

Yeah I just read that too. That sucks.

earache
Posted by: silvarios
Date: March 02, 2011 02:13PM
Filliam H. Muffman
I would say to buy a prepaid (about $20) from each company and test it out at home during the peak times (8am-9 am, 11am-1pm, 5 pm-8pm).

This will only work if the phone is 3G and has a suitable email and web browser to test.

earache,
My guess is that Verizon will prove more reliable in a remote area. Most of the people I know who live in out of the ways have a hard time getting 3G from any of the GSM providers. But location will vary of course. Make sure when you are checking for coverage that you are looking specifically for 3G not general coverage.
Posted by: davester
Date: March 02, 2011 02:14PM
You don't have that choice. You have to buy a 3G iPad specific to either AT&T or Verizon. They are two different models running incompatible 3G technologies, just like the iPhone 4.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 131
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018