advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Would a quad-core speed up Aperture?
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: March 03, 2011 04:45AM
My iPhoto library has exceeded 10,000 pics and 250 GB and iPhoto was getting too slow for my tastes. So I upgraded to Aperture and am not much happier. Always getting the SBBoD and waiting, waiting waiting....

My current iron is a 2008-era 2.8 GHz C2D iMac (24" ) maxxed to 4 GB RAM. I was thinking of upgrading to a 2.93 GHz quad-core i7 27" iMac that's currently in the refurb store on the French side and bumping it to 8 GB RAM.

Will this speed up Aperture? It is the only thing that drags me down, but I do spend a lot of time in the app. I also use it to convert DVDs for use with Plex, but that's done automatically at night, so speed is not an issue.

The additional built-in USB port would be nice (hubs seem to die after a while), and the bigger screen. Don't care about new iMacs with or without Thunderbird. This machine will probably stay in France when I leave in 18 months and I will move to a Mac Pro when I'm back.

I am running the latest Snow Leopard release.

TIA!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Would a quad-core speed up Aperture?
Posted by: onthedownlow
Date: March 03, 2011 06:21AM
Yes. It would not hurt. Sounds like you've talked yourself into it too (by that, I mean it sounds like you'd really like a new iMac...larger screen, etc. You have it planned out.).

When was the last time you defragmented your hard drive though? (e.g. TechTools, etc.). Although your other applications are performing fine, perhaps the overhead is not quite as much, and the much lag could be a read/drive issue.

Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: March 03, 2011 06:39AM
onthedownlow
Sounds like you've talked yourself into it too

smiling bouncing smiley

Yeah, pretty much!

Does defragging really do anything? I always thought that was a placebo.

I do try and keep at least 20% free on the internal 1.5 TB drive. And I rebuild it with Diskwarrior every 3-4 months.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: March 03, 2011 06:47AM
Defragging can be done quite easily by deleting excess from your startup drive and then cloning to your bootable backup drive. The cloning process eliminates the empty space between blocks of stored data, and puts everything in one spot on the target drive. After booting from the backup drive, clone it to the startup drive and you are back in business, having accomplished 3 things: cleanup, backup, and "defrag". I usually Safe boot before cloning so I don't clone any hiccups to the backup drive.

Remember how when you were little
you could just rip off your diaper and
just run around naked and everyone
thought it was so cute and funny?

Anyway, I need bail money.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: March 03, 2011 07:24AM
defragging doesn't do nearly as much as it used to.

Posted by: MacArtist
Date: March 03, 2011 08:39AM
Lux,

If you decide to keep your older iMac, you could bump up the RAM to 6 GB.

I sit on a man’s back, choking him and making
him carry me, and yet assure myself and others
that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his
lot by all possible means — except by getting off
his back. - Leo Tolstoy, novelist and Philosopher
(1828-1910)

Posted by: TheToddler
Date: March 03, 2011 09:04AM
RAM might help more than the processor, if indeed you can go to at least 6GB ... I ran Aperture initially with 4 GB on an Core i7 iMac, and it smoothed out big time with 12 GB ...
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: March 03, 2011 10:14AM
Lux Interior
My iPhoto library has exceeded 10,000 pics and 250 GB and iPhoto was getting too slow for my tastes. So I upgraded to Aperture and am not much happier. Always getting the SBBoD and waiting, waiting waiting....

My current iron is a 2008-era 2.8 GHz C2D iMac (24" ) maxxed to 4 GB RAM. I was thinking of upgrading to a 2.93 GHz quad-core i7 27" iMac that's currently in the refurb store on the French side and bumping it to 8 GB RAM.

Will this speed up Aperture? It is the only thing that drags me down, but I do spend a lot of time in the app. I also use it to convert DVDs for use with Plex, but that's done automatically at night, so speed is not an issue.

The additional built-in USB port would be nice (hubs seem to die after a while), and the bigger screen. Don't care about new iMacs with or without Thunderbird. This machine will probably stay in France when I leave in 18 months and I will move to a Mac Pro when I'm back.

I am running the latest Snow Leopard release.

TIA!

Stop being a pansy and get the 12 core.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: ka jowct
Date: March 03, 2011 10:49AM
Lux Interior

I do try and keep at least 20% free on the internal 1.5 TB drive. And I rebuild it with Diskwarrior every 3-4 months.

I suspect that 20% is just not enough. It wouldn't be for some of the Adobe apps I've used. Aperture would probably benefit from more RAM, but it needs pretty beefy graphics hardware, too. Also, there may be some features you could turn off.

[www.apertureland.com]

Here's Tip #3 from that page (tips from someone who was running Aperture 3 on a MacBook):

Turn Off Faces

Faces is a major resource drain because it requires a lot of processing power to figure out whose faces are whose. Keyword instead!

Go to preferences, and unclick the Faces box in the general section.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 116
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020