advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Homepage is Google, but every 5-6 days can't find SERVER
Posted by: Microman
Date: March 07, 2011 07:22AM
Had new CABLE modem installed by Time Warner a couple of weeks ago.

When Cable Modem was installed, and Firefox started, it could not locate the GOOGLE homepage.

I beleive cable guy deleted some recent links, and then it started to work.

But, it seems like everyweek now, when I turn on the computer and go to Firefox, it cant locate the homepage. Google. It can find other links, but it says can't locate server for google. It does bring up a Time Warner DNS looking page, and has Google links there, but they don't work.

Which device do I set up that DNS server. I use to have some recommended DNS server typed into the Router or Cable modem, then I wouldnt see the Time Warner Page.

Oh, I replaced the Router a couple of months ago, as well, with a Buffalo Router. Works great, but I bet thats where I set the DNS server up.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Homepage is Google, but every 5-6 days can't find SERVER
Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: March 07, 2011 07:30AM
Try this experiment:

Type "Google.com" in your browser's address bar. When you subsequently tap the Return key, does it load the Google home page? Does it load that Time Warner page?

Type "Google" in your browser's address bar. When you subsequently tap the Return key, does it load the Google home page? Does it load that Time Warner page?
Re: Homepage is Google, but every 5-6 days can't find SERVER
Posted by: neophyte
Date: March 07, 2011 09:22AM
I had the same problem with Time Warner's crappy DNS servers. I fixed it by entering the following two public DNS servers in my Network settings: 4.2.2.3

No more problems. Can't remember if I put them into my Buffalo router's DNS field...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 237
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020