advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Need a quick answer is Tempurpedic mattress worth it?
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: March 07, 2011 06:02PM
We just popped in a mattress store and the darn things are going
up $300 tomorrow. It's true I checked it out but $2500 for a mattress?
I have to admit it did good. I've got to do something because of my back,

Grateful11
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Need a quick answer is Tempurpedic mattress worth it?
Posted by: Drew
Date: March 07, 2011 06:06PM
I had many back problems. Switched to a mattress very similar to a Tempurpedic and am very thankful. Made a significant difference for me.
Posted by: clay
Date: March 07, 2011 06:11PM
We switched to a memory foam (generic brand) 3 years ago, and I have never slept better. I no longer have aches/pains when getting up in the morning.

We paid about $300 for a King size mattress from a vendor on ebay. It seems there are a good many generic options available for a fraction of the price of "real" Tempurpedic. I know how important good sleep is, but I can't justify 10x the price for something that surely can't be 10x better in any way. But, if you have the money, I'm sure you'll have good peace of mind if you go the Tempurpedic route.
Posted by: Drew
Date: March 07, 2011 06:21PM
Ours is not memory foam, but a dense foam material. Still, in hindsight, I would have certainly paid more for it knowing the difference it made. We live overseas, so brand and price probably don't relate well to the States.

As an aside, another big difference maker for me was buying a quality (Herman Miller) chair.
Posted by: h linamen
Date: March 07, 2011 08:08PM
I have to say I LOVE my memory foam queen size mattress. Not tempurpedic, but only cost us $800. Don't get sucked in paying their exorbitant price.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: March 07, 2011 08:09PM
No, NOT worth it. The generics are about 25 to 50% of the price, and as good.

10-20 years ago, Tempurpedic had the patent, so they were the only game in town.

Today, go with Bed in A Box--as good, much less $

[www.bedinabox.com]
Posted by: JoeM
Date: March 07, 2011 08:24PM
Yes, I have one and I love it. I've had mine for about 5 yrs and it was worth every penny. I don't know anything about the generics. Years ago the knock against the generics was that they broke down after a short time. Maybe that isn't the case now.

JoeM
Posted by: bwicklander
Date: March 07, 2011 08:25PM
I've slept on a Tempurpedic and loved it. I would buy one but I don't have the $$$ to spend - would rather buy a new Mac. smiling smiley

-restless sleep
Posted by: iaJim
Date: March 07, 2011 08:46PM
If you sleep warm, you may be warmer than you bargain for with a Tempurpedic. We both sleep warm, but you can save a bit on energy and sleep with the house a bit cooler. We love our Tempurpedic, but I have also slept very well on a conventional mattress. We also bought the Tempurpedic pillows, and didn't like them at all (not the contoured ones) so we got the Costco memory foam pillows and have been very happy with them.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: March 07, 2011 08:53PM
I have a memory foam mattress. It has eliminated quite a bit of pain for me.
Posted by: troywellbuilt
Date: March 07, 2011 09:20PM
My wife and I LOVE our Tempurpedic knock off. We went with a latex foam base with a memory foam top. Tempurpedic uses a cheap foam base. I don't remember what we paid, but it was a fraction of a Temperpedic. Go with a knockoff, you won't be sorry!
Posted by: M>B>
Date: March 07, 2011 09:49PM
After my back surgery I switched to a memory foam mattress, it has been great for me and my back!

Got an affordable one at Wal-Mart [www.walmart.com]
Posted by: zeppo2
Date: March 07, 2011 09:55PM
We got the real things many years ago before knock-offs were easily available. I haven't regretted a thing--love the Tempurpedic, but if I were buying one today I'd probably get the Costco knockoff brand when it's back in stock. Unlike those mattress stores, Costco's warranty might mean something.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: March 07, 2011 10:32PM
Well I went for it, naturally they didn't have the size I needed in stock. I went for the Tempur-Cloud
Supreme. It was pricey but if it helps my back it'll be worth every cent. My sister bought the bedinabox.com
top of the line PacBamboo+ and she's not real happy with it she said it putting pressure points on her
body to the point where it's causing some pain and she's had it for over a year. I talked at length with her
before making the decision. She said next time she may go for the real thing. Sorta like me buying a
real Mac instead of a hackintosh winking smiley If the bed works for me and last 20 years like they're suppose to,
it comes out to a little over $100/yr. it'll be worth it to me. My current bed is a Serta Perfect Sleeper,
not their best but not the cheapest either and I've never really been too happy with. It was my late FIL's
mattress which he only used for about a week before falling ill and passing away.

Grateful11
Posted by: lost in space
Date: March 07, 2011 10:35PM
My wife and I loved the Tempurpedic in the store, but after a week of sleeping on it, called to return it. The sales guy asked us to give it another week, which we did, but regretted it. We finally exchanged it for a more conventional type costing almost as much. Took two weeks of massage and chiropractic work to get back to normal.

They're great for some folks, just not us.
Posted by: stephen
Date: March 08, 2011 12:05AM
Best investment I ever made. Bought a second one for my second home. Zero regrets.
Posted by: Kramerica
Date: March 08, 2011 01:09PM
I'll soon be in the market as well. I'm not sure if I'll go with the real deal or bedinabox but there is indeed quite a price difference. Sounds like there are plenty of folks that have been happy with both, and a few that haven't.
Posted by: qdog2
Date: March 08, 2011 01:45PM
Memory foam beds gives me a headache. I'm waiting for my Select Comfort Mattress to be delivered this week. I chose this mattress because of the 30 day free trial period. If it don't work out I can get my money back and try something different.

Portsmouth, Va
Posted by: decocritter
Date: March 08, 2011 03:44PM
I bought the pillow,don't like the smell. It also is hot. I put 2 pillow cases on it over its cover. Switched to hypo down pillows

I would like to try sleeping on one for about a week to see if I like it
Posted by: PeterB
Date: March 08, 2011 05:58PM
I love my memory foam topper + futon mattress, BUT... I recently discovered the source of many sinus headaches: my memory foam pillow that I got on the advice of some here. The memory foam pillow is fantastically comfortable, but caused me to wake up with awful sinus headaches every morning...

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: folmerw
Date: March 21, 2011 09:27PM
if you "run hot" (i.e., sleep warmly), the memory foam toppers, mattress, pillows retain way too much heat..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 186
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020