Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $102.99 ( +0.52 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Best location for a fire extinguisher?
Posted by: Black
Date: March 10, 2011 12:24PM
I bought an extinguisher for some tenants who are permanently nervous from being burned out of a previous dwelling.
Need to run by and put it up later-- where is the ideal location? The layout is front room with front stairway entrance, hallway with bedroom and bathroom and furnace closet, large eat-in kitchen with back stairway entrance and also door to second bedroom.
Where's the best place for this-- near the stove? Near the back door? Near a bedroom?
I don't want to put it outside the space in a stairwell because there are small children in the building.
Thx . . .

MR/F Guestmap: [www.mapservices.org]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Best location for a fire extinguisher?
Posted by: Buzz
Date: March 10, 2011 12:27PM
Maybe check local codes, and/or give a call to your friendly neighborhood property management company...
Posted by: timg
Date: March 10, 2011 12:40PM
I have no experience in placing fire extinguishers, but it would seem to me that it should be placed close to where a fire might start (e.g. kitchen).

If the fire gets to the bedroom, then a fire extinguisher would be useless - akin to pissing on a forest fire.

The other possibility is to just strap it to the tenants.

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Posted by: Bosco
Date: March 10, 2011 12:48PM
One in the kitchen and one in the garage.
Also, put one on each floor.
Date: March 10, 2011 12:48PM
Buzz
Maybe check local codes, and/or give a call to your friendly neighborhood property management company...
Not required by code.

Date: March 10, 2011 12:49PM
Bosco

Thanks. Sorry I kind of buried this in the top post but the layout is front room with front stairway entrance, hallway with bedroom and bathroom and furnace closet, large eat-in kitchen with back stairway entrance and also door to second bedroom.
I don't want to put it outside the space in a stairwell because there are small children in the building.

Posted by: mikebw
Date: March 10, 2011 12:49PM
Bosco

Yeah, I have one on each floor, the main one being in the Kitchen.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 10, 2011 12:50PM
....near the fire.....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: timg
Date: March 10, 2011 12:50PM
Bosco

wouldn't that be a tripping hazard? I'd recommend putting on the wall.

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Date: March 10, 2011 12:51PM
I have no experience in placing fire extinguishers, but it would seem to me that it should be placed close to where a fire might start (e.g. kitchen).

If the fire gets to the bedroom, then a fire extinguisher would be useless - akin to pissing on a forest fire.

The other possibility is to just strap it to the tenants.

I will ask them if that's OK. I have a suspicion they're more afraid of arson than a cooking fire.

Date: March 10, 2011 12:51PM
timg
Bosco

Excellent :-)

Date: March 10, 2011 12:52PM
NewtonMP2100
....near the fire.....??

Posted by: davester
Date: March 10, 2011 01:02PM
Next to the inside door to the kitchen. Don't put it next to the stove. If the stove catches on fire you won't be able to get to the extinguisher.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: billb
Date: March 10, 2011 01:06PM
timg
Bosco

available at most grocer's and department stores nation wide

" Families who heat their homes with wood responsibly should be recognized for their contribution to a reduction in greenhouse gas emissions and a sustainable energy future."
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: March 10, 2011 01:13PM
billb
timg
Bosco

available at most grocer's and department stores nation wide

Easier to steal if you go in the wee mornin' hours.

It is what it is.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: March 10, 2011 01:15PM
Black
I will ask them if that's OK. I have a suspicion they're more afraid of arson than a cooking fire.

If you want a professional opinion, ask your local fire department. They are generally delighted to help (and pleasantly surprised to get the question). After all, when something goes wrong, they have to fix it.

The reality is that a fire extinguisher is rarely any match for arson. An intentionally set fire is usually too much to handle for any amateur. Extinguishers are meant to handle small, accidental, early-stage fires. Anyone setting a fire on purpose is inclined to 1) provide fuel and/or accelerant and 2) conceal the initial stage of burning. Both of these are major obstacles to amateur firefighting.

I know this doesn't help, but perhaps it will highlight that the issue here is more psychological than practical. Good luck!

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: March 10, 2011 01:19PM
Kitchen, without a doubt. As davester said, not next to the stove.

As a victim of arson, it's not so much the feeling that somebody might target me again, as it is the knowledge of what a fire can do while you're still blinking and trying to figure out what's going on.

We had 3 fire extinguishers when somebody set my car on fire -- one in the kitchen, one in the garage, one in a hall closet. Now we have 3 really big fire extinguishers in the house.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: March 10, 2011 01:20PM
>>The reality is that a fire extinguisher is rarely any match for arson.

I think you misunderstand the point of this endeavor.

Its to calm down nervous tenants. If the feel better with a fire extinguisher in an OFFICIAL location then don't spoil the game.

VTPKL it!
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: March 10, 2011 01:21PM
I think that if you have a DOOR closet/pantry, on the inside of that door, at chest height.

If not - the standard apartment and new house (at least here in Twangville) is either sitting under the
cabinet that is under the kitchen sink, or if it is small enough, screwed to the inside cabinet door that
leads to the area under the kitchen sink.

This is the size that I have.
Posted by: billb
Date: March 10, 2011 01:24PM

" Families who heat their homes with wood responsibly should be recognized for their contribution to a reduction in greenhouse gas emissions and a sustainable energy future."
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: March 10, 2011 01:27PM
mattkime
>>The reality is that a fire extinguisher is rarely any match for arson.

I think you misunderstand the point of this endeavor.

Its to calm down nervous tenants. If the feel better with a fire extinguisher in an OFFICIAL location then don't spoil the game.

Actually, i'm pretty sure that i covered that point at the end of my post. Also fairly sure that Black's tenants aren't reading this thread so no harm, no foul.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: March 10, 2011 01:27PM
Mike Johnson
As a victim of arson, when somebody set my car on fire...

Why not have an Auto Sprinkler System installed? You can get them at any place that installs fire suppression on marine vehicles.

Fits in any large trunk or van!

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: March 10, 2011 01:34PM
Mike Johnson
As a victim of arson, it's not so much the feeling that somebody might target me again, as it is the knowledge of what a fire can do while you're still blinking and trying to figure out what's going on.

I had a wood-frame structure garage go up in flames once (accident, not arson). I could not believe how little time it took for the structure to become fully engulfed - almost no time at all. It really was frightening.

It is what it is.
Posted by: pqrst
Date: March 10, 2011 01:44PM
My C.E.R.T. trainer recommends at least two extiniquishers and to have them in the places where either fire is likely (ie: kitchen, garage workshop, hallway outside of a smoker's bedroom). And to put them where they are seen. Too many people try to hide them away and then there is problem with getting to them. Or a person unfamiliar with their location can't find them. If it is a multi-story dwelling then an extinguisher on each floor is a must.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2011 01:45PM by pqrst.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: March 10, 2011 01:59PM
By local codes, I meant only as a suggestion for the extinguisher's location based on other (probably larger) buildings for which actual codes do exist... and, since you're just being a nice guy and helping them w/ their nerves; why not give them the extinguisher as a gift, and let them do what they want want w/ it?
Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: March 10, 2011 02:46PM
Black
I bought an extinguisher for some tenants...

Did you get an ABC rated extinguisher for them?
Posted by: Dakota
Date: March 10, 2011 03:16PM
This thread reminds me to look for ours. Haven't seen it in years.

After you discover you're riding a dead horse, your best strategy is to dismount.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: March 10, 2011 03:19PM
Former fire fighter brother-in-law says like davester, near an inside door to the kitchen.
Posted by: Big Daddy Cool
Date: March 10, 2011 04:33PM
You want to put them in areas where fires are more likely to occur: kitchen, garage, laundry room, workshop, etc.

The key is to put them near the exit of those rooms away from where the fire would probably be.
In other words, the exit furthest from the stove, next to the garage door, etc. You want to be able to grab the extinguisher on your way out of harm's way– extinguishing as you exit. You don't want to have to cross the fire's path to grab an extinguisher or to escape if the fire gets out of control.
Date: March 10, 2011 05:04PM
This is extremely helpful, thanks to all. A few considerations I hadn't thought of.
.rj, I saw that you tuned in just fine, guessing matt was doing too many other things while reading the thread.
The extinguisher is rated 1:A 10:B C I think.
Buzz, handing it to them would be a good test of my communication skills, i.e. whether I effectively communicated why it's not good to attach things to walls with package sealing tape. Not sure it's worth the a few layers of drywall to find out . . .

Posted by: M>B>
Date: March 10, 2011 07:04PM
Also, get a dry formula one for a kitchen as they work on grease fires and clean up fairly well. Such as this one > [www.amazon.com]
Date: March 10, 2011 11:12PM
M>B>
Also, get a dry formula one for a kitchen as they work on grease fires and clean up fairly well. Such as this one > [www.amazon.com]

Frequently bought with . . . the one I bought:
[www.amazon.com]

Thanks for the tip; I lose gobs of money on this building and rents are below market so I think one "courtesy" extinguisher is going to have to be enough. Don't forget I get toss the unused extinguisher and pop for a new one in 2-3 years when this one is on empty.

Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: March 11, 2011 03:46AM
Black
Don't forget I get toss the unused extinguisher and pop for a new one in 2-3 years when this one is on empty.

They hold pressure pretty well these days.

I have a kitchen extinguisher that's 10 years old and still at 95% as of the last daylight savings switchover.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login