advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
now....or LATER.....?!....that darn iPhone still befuddled by Daylight Savings time....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 14, 2011 09:13AM
.....from this <[forums.macresource.com];.....

......so Apple can blaze the way with new tech but can't even figure out how to fix a clock.....why can't Apple fix this......??

.....they do list a 'simple' fix (below)......

Users complain iPhone clock bungles time change

....It's hard enough to get your bearings when the time changes twice a year. It's all but impossible when your phone starts playing tricks on you, too.

Users of Apple's iPhone peppered Twitter and blogs with complaints Sunday when their phones bungled the one-hour "spring forward" to daylight savings time that went into effect overnight Saturday.

One user complained of missing church, another of almost missing yoga. One called her iPhone stupid and several just asked for help.

It turns out some users' phones fell back one hour instead of springing forward, making the time displayed on the iPhone two hours off.

This is just the latest clock woe for Apple's chic iPhone. A clock glitch prevented alarms from sounding on New Year's Day, causing slumbering revelers to oversleep. The devices also struggled to adjust to the end of daylight savings time back in November.

The glitch affected iPhone owners who subscribe for phone service through both AT&T and Verizon.

Apple, based in Cupertino, Calif., could not be reached for comment Sunday.

Twitter was abuzz with a simple solution: Either shut down and restart the phone, or switch the phone to "airplane mode" and then back......

WAKE me up, before you go go (but not early or is it late).....?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2011 09:19AM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: now....or LATER.....?!....that darn iPhone still befuddled by Daylight Savings time....
Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: March 14, 2011 09:40AM
Restarting the phone did not fix my alarm problem.

It appears that the alarm is working today, tho.

Someone at Apple made an adjustment that lasted 24 hours instead of just "springing forward" 1 hour.
Re: now....or LATER.....?!....that darn iPhone still befuddled by Daylight Savings time....
Posted by: space-time
Date: March 14, 2011 09:48AM
my iPod Touch (iOS 4.1 I believe) does not have any setting to use a time server (time. apple.com) to sync the clock. Each time the battery runs low (DEAD), it revets to 1970. Why can't they enable a network time server for iPod Touch?
Posted by: graylocks
Date: March 14, 2011 10:44AM
as much as i love my toys, i try not to completely count on them for stuff like this. i keep my iPhone on my nightstand but i also dug out my handy ole quartz wrist watch and set it forward so in the morning i could easily confirm that the Iphone had changed correctly. mine did, BTW. most be hard for Apple that this problem is not universal.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: neophyte
Date: March 14, 2011 11:25AM
Interestingly, my BB Storm, whilst NOT connected to any network or wifi (I use it for my alarm clock as my house power is unreliable), still sprang ahead one hour. And of course, my Droid X changed appropriately as expected. "Droid Does" wink smiley
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: March 14, 2011 01:12PM
I thought the iPhone times came from the carrier?
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 14, 2011 01:33PM
I thought the iPhone times came from the carrier?

True.

But however Apple ties the alarm time to the time on the 'Phone seems to be the problem.

Not everybody who has problems seem to be having the same problem. I thought my 'Phone was acting up this morning, but I had just forgot to set Moday's alarm. Fortunately, my inner clock woke me on time. I just didn't get the benefit of a 10min snooze.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: sekker
Date: March 14, 2011 07:41PM
I've had nothing but problems with time changes and calendars on my iPhone and Macs lately.

Even the location mapping often fails.

Seems like a real glitch in the latest software.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: March 14, 2011 10:50PM
My iPhone made the jump forward perfectly. Then sometime during the day on Sunday it jumped BACK. Turning off Set Automatically fixed it for now. Very strange.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 232
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020