advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Pixel count and noise in P&S digital cameras
Posted by: freeradical
Date: March 16, 2011 11:08AM
The way I understand it, a 7-8 MP sensor is biggest you should have in a P&S digital camera since they have tiny sensors. The reason is that if you go over that, the sensors become noisier. Is this true?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Pixel count and noise in P&S digital cameras
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: March 16, 2011 11:28AM
When the first 3MP sensors came out for P&S Digital cameras in the 1/1.8 size (bigger than many current digicams), noise became a bigger issue. The earlier 2MP and below cams had other issues which were more important than their very minor noise issues.

It's been getting worse with larger pixel counts but the cameras' software has been getting better at managing this problem as well.

And Just because you get an 8MP camera doesn't mean it performs like other 8MP cameras. I have an Olympus C0808WZ which has a 2/3 size 8MP imager and it delivers fairly good noise control for a P&S. Current 8MP imagers may only be 1/1.8 (not too much smaller) or 1/2.6 (wayyy smaller) and will show proportionately higher noise before noise reduction (which will smear out detail to some extent).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2011 11:31AM by Lew Zealand.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: March 16, 2011 11:32AM
Yes, but if you need sophisticated software to fix a problem that wouldn't exist with a smaller pixel count, what's the point?
Posted by: Billybob
Date: March 16, 2011 11:55AM
I'm not sure 7-8mp are the biggest.

Many reviewers believe the 10mp Canon (S95) and Panasonic (LX5) enthusiast level cameras produce the best P&S IQ ever. Their sensors are on the larger side (~1/1.7), but they are definitely P&S cameras. They are equipped with very nice lenses and perform well in well-lit settings. However, they don't compete with DSLRs in low-light situations.

I think that going beyond 10MP, on balance, does not improve images. However, I don't know if that will always be the case. Technology keeps advancing.

For now, I'd look for P&S cameras that were no denser than 10MP.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: March 16, 2011 12:04PM
Software can only correct the problem to a point when everything starts looking like mush. Canon has actually reverted pixel count on their G series to counteract this issue.

If you really need more megapixels than 10, you probably need to get into a DSLR at that point.

More info here
[www.dpreview.com]

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 186
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020