advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How does Netflix HD content look on your ATV?
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: March 16, 2011 11:14AM
Watched an episode of Top Gear last night at about 9:30 and it looked awful - pixelated and suffering from hangups. It's listed as being in HD. So I went to a couple of HD movies and they were considerably better; not DVD better but acceptable.

I've noticed that content produced for TV seems to look worse than movies. I have to look at more TV stuff to confirm - I don't think I've looked at enough to draw a conclusion. The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia (MTV) looked awful. Movies in SD look better.

Speedtest.net is showing my dowload at 30.9 Mbps. I have heard about Netflix doing some throttling during peak periods; I don't know about my ISP (Cox).

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How does Netflix HD content look on your ATV?
Posted by: space-time
Date: March 16, 2011 11:28AM
on my Roku (older model, bought Christmas 2009). I don't se pixelation, but sometimes I see low frame rate, i.e. in scenes with fact action, the picture jumps too much. I will try Top Gear at some point.

EDIT: I know you asked about ATV, I just wanted to share my experience with Neflix and streaming, although on a different device

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2011 11:29AM by space-time.
Posted by: Inactive
Date: March 16, 2011 11:45AM
I've been pretty happy with the quality, not sure how to quantify it though ~comparable to a high quality DVD?
Posted by: Markiscool
Date: March 16, 2011 11:59AM
Been watching Netflix through my PS3 and have been really impressed. Good quality with only a little pixel here or there in big battle scenes. The HD stuff for the most part is great. Better then what Charter tries to pass off as HD.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: March 16, 2011 12:29PM
I have both the Roku and an Apple TV2. I get good quality (nothing where I notice any picture degradation) from each when viewing Netflix.

I think in the past year or so, I had maybe one or two movies I had to quit because it looked bad enough to be distracting. So far, I'm pleased with what Netflix is offering. Of course, that could change.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Kramerica
Date: March 16, 2011 01:51PM
Looks really good for me too on the ATV - better than I expected it to look, particularly the HD stuff. This is on a 52" set. I have gotten the hangups and stalls, but don't recall any major pixelization.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 16, 2011 02:50PM
We've seen artifacts on some netflix on the ATV and other devices. I get the feeling it's worse on the ATV due to lack of buffering memory space, but I could be wrong.

In every case it's been because someone else in the house (or in one case a neighbor) is massively sucking bandwidth.
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: March 16, 2011 02:54PM
Kramerica
Looks really good for me too on the ATV - better than I expected it to look, particularly the HD stuff. This is on a 52" set. I have gotten the hangups and stalls, but don't recall any major pixelization.

Perhaps pixelization isn't the right word. It really looks like a 240p Youtube video played full-screen. Again, this doesn't happen all the time, and it will vary within the same show or movie.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2011 02:55PM by Uncle Wig.
Posted by: Kramerica
Date: March 16, 2011 03:27PM
Pixelization is a good word -I figured that's what you meant. When my network is acting up, my picture will more often momentarily freeze, sometimes with the audio continuing, sometimes not, causing me to have to back it up and play again. But what you're describing does sound like NetFlix adjusting the quality of the stream based on the bandwidth being inconsistent.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: March 16, 2011 04:02PM
Compression artifacts is probably the correct term, although pixelization is kind of the same thing.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: March 16, 2011 09:16PM
cbelt3
We've seen artifacts on some netflix on the ATV and other devices. I get the feeling it's worse on the ATV due to lack of buffering memory space, but I could be wrong.

Apple TV 2 has up to 8 GB of buffer space so I don't think that's the issue.
Posted by: TheToddler
Date: March 16, 2011 11:53PM
No issues here ....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 193
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020