advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
"They say that breaking up is ... hard to do. Now I know, I know that it's true." --- done with Blockbuster
Posted by: deckeda
Date: March 23, 2011 08:55PM
Yeah, yeah, I know. Most of you quit them a long time ago.

First they changed it a couple years ago so that in-store exchanges counted towards the monthly total rentals. We had unlimited one-DVD-at-a-time out. Even so, we managed to squeeze in anywhere from 6-9 DVDs a month, depending on the mail and how fast I could get back to the store. Not too bad for $12, and we needed DVDs; our Internet connection was never fast enough for any streaming.

They got rid of that plan a while ago. New subscribers apparently have to PAY for in-store exchanges ($2 each! Hello? $1 Redbox, much?) On the other hand, the unlimited 1 at a time DVD by mail option is now $9.

Last year we rented a few Wii games but it was another $5 so we stopped that. Now, games don't cost extra to rent; they still count as part of your monthly disc total. But have they advertised that? Too little, too late.

So our grandfathered plan was a better value, but that assumed our store would stay open, which it won't. It's the 2nd or 3rd store in this area to close recently.

And the bastids hid the Cancel link! There are choices to Hold or Cancel the account, but a mouseover reveals the Cancel link is gonna take you somewhere else, "/winbackSubscriptions" . More like, "/endlessloop"

I swear, when you click the Cancel link all you get a completely white, blank page with a small movie thumbnail in one corner. You can click the thumbnail to "learn more about the movie." W. T. F.

Noticing the Hold link ended with /HoldSubscription I pasted that in the address bar and guessed: I changed Hold to Cancel and it worked---I got the hidden account cancel page. Jumped through some more hoops, another page, squinted to find the final Cancelation link and I was out.

I think canceling AOL 15 years ago was easier---and that's saying something. That one was a forced phone call with someone who did NOT want to hear "no."
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: "They say that breaking up is ... hard to do. Now I know, I know that it's true." --- done with Blockbuster
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 23, 2011 08:57PM
Oh, NICE bit of 'account retention'. Of course there's the old 'call your credit card's fraud line' method which becomes punitive.

Blockbuster left our area several years ago. Buh bye. Helloo Netflix !
Re: "They say that breaking up is ... hard to do. Now I know, I know that it's true." --- done with Blockbuster
Date: March 23, 2011 09:06PM
We've been itching to try it. The wife got her friend's account info and has been using it throughout the day while she works. Tonight she signed us up for our own account (still with the DVD option mainly for the kids, even though we got 22Mbps cable this week.)

We've used up 5GB of bandwidth in the 2 days we've had Comcast. Not a rate that will get us in trouble, but there also haven't been any file downloads, either. Doesn't seem likely we'll bump up against the 250GB limit but I'm curious to see where it winds up. Comcast's FAQ says "typical" usage is 4-6GB/month, including streaming video. HAH!
Posted by: space-time
Date: March 23, 2011 09:26PM
here is how much I used, with some Netflix streaming, lots of Youtube (kids) and live Romanian TV (wife)

Dec was more since we had vacation and watched more. Feb was less since we were gone for a few days and also was a shorter month

Posted by: mattkime
Date: March 23, 2011 09:41PM
you need a faster internet connection

Posted by: freeradical
Date: March 23, 2011 09:47PM
Where do you find that usage information on Comcast?

I've read their FAQ's about this, but I can never get that history report on any link at their site.
Posted by: space-time
Date: March 23, 2011 09:59PM
it's under Users and Settings (only current month) or click "View Details" for the past 3 month
Date: March 23, 2011 10:03PM
After you login to your account click on the "Users and Settings" tab. Middle-right column area.
Date: March 23, 2011 10:18PM
When I click on the "Users and Settings" tab, I still do not see this information.

This is what I see:

Do I need a Comcast e-mail address to use this feature?

Date: March 23, 2011 10:25PM
deckeda
After you login to your account ....

From your screenshot it doesn't appear as if you've signed in to your account.
Date: March 23, 2011 10:28PM
Maybe you do need an email account. My account username is my email address before the @comcast portion.
Date: March 23, 2011 10:35PM
I'm signed in, buy I've never had a Comcast e-mail addy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 215
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020