Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $524.94 ( +5.93 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Aleve - Safe to use daily?
Posted by: h linamen
Date: April 07, 2011 09:11PM
I have occasional back pain and have used ibuprofen sparingly as I understand continuous use can cause liver damage and a nurse said it can make one a "bleeder".

Anyway, my brother takes one aleve every morning and every night and says he is pain free. Any dangers for daily use of ALEVE?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Aleve - Safe to use daily?
Posted by: btfc
Date: April 07, 2011 09:16PM
[www.webmd.com]
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 07, 2011 09:17PM
I'd talk to your doctor... Naproxen is in the same family of Non-Steroidal Anti Inflammatory Drugs (NSAID) as Ibuprofen, and the side effects are all in the same general area. Pretty much ANY medication can cause problems if you use it regularly.

But... everyone reacts differently. I took over 2,000 mg of Ibuprofen every day for years. My system is just fine.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: April 07, 2011 09:38PM
I use it fairly often, no problems so far--maybe 2-4 days in a row, every 6 months or so.

It's magic for my back.
Posted by: haikuman
Date: April 07, 2011 10:31PM
anonymouse1
I use it fairly often, no problems so far--maybe 2-4 days in a row, every 6 months or so.

It's magic for my back.

WoW ~!~!~!~ I could use some magic for my back.....maybe I will try a bowl full with milk and honey *(:>*

“Stay Hungry Stay Foolish"
Steve Jobs

"There are only two mantras yum and yuk mine is yum "
Bernard Mickey Wrangle<>Tom Robbins<> "Still Life With Woodpecker"

"There is a fine line between a rut and a groove"
G.D. Kittredge III

"

Posted by: Buzz
Date: April 07, 2011 10:38PM
borrow cbelt3's system, and you'll be fine...

or use your own and take your chances.

statistically, odds are that you'll be OK, however, NSAID damage when it occurs, is not pretty.
get thee to a doc to be checked out asap if there is any discomfort, or any family history of non-tolerance.

good luck; just be careful... to help tip the odds in your favor.
Posted by: haikuman
Date: April 07, 2011 10:47PM
Buzz
borrow cbelt3's system, and you'll be fine...

or use your own and take your chances.

statistically, odds are that you'll be OK, however, NSAID damage when it occurs, is not pretty.
get thee to a doc to be checked out asap if there is any discomfort, or any family history of non-tolerance.

good luck; just be careful... to help tip the odds in your favor.

Very good advice Buzz ~!~

“Stay Hungry Stay Foolish"
Steve Jobs

"There are only two mantras yum and yuk mine is yum "
Bernard Mickey Wrangle<>Tom Robbins<> "Still Life With Woodpecker"

"There is a fine line between a rut and a groove"
G.D. Kittredge III

"

Posted by: Black
Date: April 08, 2011 12:06AM
h linamen
I have occasional back pain and have used ibuprofen sparingly as I understand continuous use can cause liver damage and a nurse said it can make one a "bleeder".

Anyway, my brother takes one aleve every morning and every night and says he is pain free. Any dangers for daily use of ALEVE?

cbelt is mostly right-- the Ibu alternatives are formulated to be a little gentler on your stomach. Taking any of them daily, even the milder ones, you may end up with chronic heartburn at the least.
Just to clarify-- the nurse was likely referring to digestive tract bleeding, not being a "free bleeder."

MR/F Guestmap: [www.mapservices.org]
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: April 08, 2011 06:06AM
cbelt3
I took over 2,000 mg of Ibuprofen every day for years.

And people look at me weird when I tell them the minimum I need is 800mg.

Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: April 08, 2011 08:03AM
And to be clear, when I take it, I take 3 220mg pills, just before I go to sleep. That's less than the prescription dose I use to take.

I only rarely take it during the day--when my back is really bad. Can't remember the last time I needed it during the day.....

haikuman
anonymouse1

It's magic for my back.

WoW ~!~!~!~ I could use some magic for my back.....maybe I will try a bowl full with milk and honey *(:>*

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2011 08:03AM by anonymouse1.
Posted by: davester
Date: April 08, 2011 08:55AM
Good guidance above. Also, as with ibuprofen, make sure you always take it with food and lots of liquids, and NEVER take it right before going to bed. I was told by my doc that a lot of problems result from that practice...essentially, the pills just sit in your stomach and start eating through the stomach lining.

For chronic back pain, pills should definitely be a backup, not the main therapy. You should be tackling the problem in other ways...exercise, stretching, weight reduction, etc.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: lafinfil
Date: April 08, 2011 10:18AM
I am currently under medical supervision for a knee inflammation problem. Under their orders
I am taking two 220mg Aleve twice a day - two at breakfast and two at dinner. My provider stressed
taking them with food to protect the stomach. This is based on no other underlying medical issues
or probable drug interactions. YMMV.

Posted by: sekker
Date: April 08, 2011 10:43AM
If you take for a long time, watch out for potential effects on hearing.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 08, 2011 01:45PM
.....what did you say.....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: billb
Date: April 08, 2011 03:32PM
He said he thought he heard a mouse fart next door ....

Logen Aryn Ryley - Happy Birthday
July 25
The Truth Will Always Be
another favorite

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login