advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How Did They Bill Me For This Text Service That I Never Authorized?
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: April 08, 2011 02:09PM
About the middle of last month I got a couple of texts telling me I was signed up for their "inspirational texts of the day" or some crap like that. I don't ever text, and although I sometimes get a spam text, I never respond and nothing ever comes of it. No charges or additional spam from any of them ever. I open up this months bill and sure enough, I'm charged an extra $9.99 for this "service".

I went yesterday to visit an AT&T store to finally pick up my microcell and asked the rep if I could take care of billing issues at the store and he jumped right in and got my bill corrected with the text service cancelled.

So how are these despicable pieces of censored smiley getting away with billing me for services I never even knew about? Seems criminal to me, and I have to believe there are people out there getting scammed but don't realize it and just go ahead and pay their bill.

What are your thoughts?

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How Did They Bill Me For This Text Service That I Never Authorized?
Posted by: decocritter
Date: April 08, 2011 02:14PM
I got one,too about horoscopes. Called sprint about a $10 charge, and they could not tell me much. They took it off. It is invasive and should be illegal.
Date: April 08, 2011 02:15PM
Agreed, deco, agreed.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 08, 2011 02:16PM
It's called "Slamming". It IS illegal. Happens to land lines, and has for decades.
Read
Your
Bill
Carefully.

Rules changes decades ago allow companies to obligate your phone company to bill you for 'services'. Your phone company has no choice.

You'd be astonished how much money these scammers make off this.
Posted by: GGD
Date: April 08, 2011 02:16PM
Not sure if yours is the same, but we had that happen to one of our kids accounts, it was the result of some sleazy ad on facebook that said it was an IQ test and try to beat your friend's score (and uses the name of one of your facebook friends in the ad). You then needed to enter your cell phone number to get your score, or something like that. That's what started it. I caught it on the first bill and we were able to "unsubscribe" by texting STOP to the text number listed on the bill.

[abcnews.go.com]
Date: April 08, 2011 02:18PM
It seems to me it would not and could not happen without the collusion of the phone companies.
Date: April 08, 2011 02:22PM
Ah, good info, guys. I don't remember ever giving my cell number out like that. I think the rep put some type of parental controls on the account to help stop this, but who knows how effective it is? There's almost nothing worse to me than someone scamming (slamming) me, or at least making the attempt. mad2 smiley

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 08, 2011 02:23PM
An added point. I put a 'block' with Verizon on ALL third party services, so my kids can't ever sign up for stuff like this.

Although Verizon actually let two of them through last month, and I tore 'em a new one. They apologized and reversed the charges.
Posted by: billb
Date: April 08, 2011 02:26PM
Threatening to shove the phone up the fat censored smileysales rep's censored smiley if it happens again seems to work the fourth time one complains.
Make sure the store is full of customers, too.

Seriously. That seems to be their most favored customer service routine.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: LyleH
Date: April 08, 2011 04:49PM
cbelt3
An added point. I put a 'block' with Verizon on ALL third party services, so my kids can't ever sign up for stuff like this.

Although Verizon actually let two of them through last month, and I tore 'em a new one. They apologized and reversed the charges.
Had the same problem on my Verizon landline phone a few months ago. I also put a "block" on my phone for ALL third party services. LyleH
Posted by: AllGold
Date: April 08, 2011 08:27PM
Back in ancient times, I put a block on all (I think it was called) Premium Texts on my Sprint phone. No idea if they still call it that or if it is called different things by different carriers.

Posted by: testcase
Date: April 08, 2011 08:37PM
I don't text so, I had ATT block the service. No more BS messages at $0.20 a pop. Apparently, Apple and ATT can still send me messages but, there's no charge for those.
Posted by: neophyte
Date: April 08, 2011 09:53PM
Allgold called it. Premium Messaging is billed through your carrier by third parties. You get on their list by submitting your phone number while online, or by texting your vote to any TV show. Read the fine print (if you can on your TV), which states that by sending the vote by text or submitting your number online, you agree to receive texts from the third party and be billed up to$9.99 per month for them. You can have Premium Messaging blocked by your carrier. I routinely block this on my customer's lines, after asking if they want to be able to text a vote for their favorite "Idol" and be charged for the privilege. Nearly all opt for the block.
Date: April 08, 2011 10:14PM
I don't vote for Idol or anyone else and don't submit my phone except to my ccards.
Posted by: Black
Date: April 09, 2011 06:46AM
AllGold
Back in ancient times, I put a block on all (I think it was called) Premium Texts on my Sprint phone. No idea if they still call it that or if it is called different things by different carriers.

As noted this is referred to as "premium messaging."
I just went through this about 3 weeks ago-- I had to remove that particular block in order to text my radio station.
No reason to have this blocked unless you have a family plan and are subject to someone else's poor judgment.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: testcase
Date: April 10, 2011 10:47AM
I wonder what would happen if a text was sent from TextFree (or other "free") iPhone texting App? dunno smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 258
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020