Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $101.60 ( -0.06 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Craigslist and Texting
Posted by: DharmaDog
Date: April 12, 2011 02:33PM
I may be showing my age, but is texting an appropriate form of communication with a stranger?

I placed an ad on CL for a comforter. I got a response from an interested person who specifically requested that I text them my location, so they could come pick it up. Why wouldn't I just call them at the number they want me to text to, or reply to the email that was sent?

Is this normal these days?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Craigslist and Texting
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 12, 2011 02:42PM
I like it because it provides a paper trail. I use SMS through my google voice for craigslist and such. It works very nicely.
Posted by: PizzaGod
Date: April 12, 2011 02:48PM
I put in my ads to NOT text me.

Of course people can't understand simple commands.

Screw em.

To answer the question, they are idiots.
Posted by: Manlove
Date: April 12, 2011 02:56PM
Email is for old people!
Kids text, all the time. like breathing.
Cheap, fast and convenient.

I don't do it because I am old (43) and do not have a mobile phone! I would call them or email and arrange things that way. In the future, if you still do not want to text, do as PizzaGod suggests.

My sister can text about 200 words a minute, but hunts and pecks on a keyboard!
Posted by: timg
Date: April 12, 2011 03:44PM
Manlove
Email is for old people!
Kids text, all the time. like breathing.

I don't do it because I am old (43) and do not have a mobile phone! I would call them or email and arrange things that way. In the future, if you still do not want to text, do as PizzaGod suggests.

My sister can text about 200 words a minute, but hunts and pecks on a keyboard!

what sort of phone does she have? does it have a full qwerty keyboard or is she using T9?

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Posted by: weapon
Date: April 12, 2011 03:48PM
If the address is sent in a txt I can put that in my gps and off I go.
Posted by: davester
Date: April 12, 2011 04:09PM
Manlove

Two out of three. Texting is ridiculously expensive...the biggest telecommunications ripoff on the planet.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: DharmaDog
Date: April 12, 2011 04:13PM
davester
Manlove

Two out of three. Texting is ridiculously expensive...the biggest telecommunications ripoff on the planet.

Which is why I didn't use it all until recently. And since I'm not good at texting, it's not faster nor more convenient than simply dialing the numbers or replying by email.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: April 12, 2011 04:19PM
I like to text basic questions. For example, if they don't include the screen size of a laptop, then I prefer to text to ask the size and if it is the size I want then I'll call, if not, then I 'thx' them.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Manlove
Date: April 12, 2011 04:19PM
The phone is a Nokia she's had for years. No keyboard-letters on the numberpad. Is that T9?

She lives in the UK where I think texting is cheaper, but I could easily be wrong.

"And since I'm not good at texting, it's not faster nor more convenient than simply dialing the numbers or replying by email."
Likewise. It takes me about 5 minutes to compose a 5 word text on her phone, when I have tried! Which is why I do as you do.
But I can see the whole gps/mapping thing being useful when you are on the go with no computer access.

Swings and roundabouts..
Posted by: Mini 9
Date: April 12, 2011 04:38PM
DharmaDog
I may be showing my age, but is texting an appropriate form of communication with a stranger?

I placed an ad on CL for a comforter. I got a response from an interested person who specifically requested that I text them my location, so they could come pick it up. Why wouldn't I just call them at the number they want me to text to, or reply to the email that was sent?

I don't like texting. For one, it costs me 10ยข to get or send one. I'm cheap.
I won't even make an effort to listen to voicemail since it 'burns' a minute of my money. smiling smiley Sis called and wished me Happy Birthday and asked if I had listened to it. Uhmmm... no.

I was SHOCKED when one of my cousins started texting me stuff. I thought "STOP IT!" Kind of hard to curtail it while her brother was dying of cancer and the messages were very congenial. (He was in article this past week on front page of paper, too)

I have so far resisted Craigslist because I don't give out my number. I would have to choose email-only correspondence.
Posted by: kap
Date: April 12, 2011 07:46PM
Manlove
It takes me about 5 minutes to compose a 5 word text on her phone...

Man, you're fast! I fumble the first two minutes! I prefer txting from my laptop.

West San Gabriel Valley, California ... for the time being :-)
Posted by: John B.
Date: April 12, 2011 07:54PM
I'm with Mini 9 in that I don't want to pay per text.

But I also understand that there is a group of smartphone users out there where the phone is their only Internet access, and thus texting is, to them, e-mail.
Posted by: Black
Date: April 13, 2011 01:13AM
DharmaDog

Yes.
It does make sense for some things, e.g. locations.
I would not risk wasting a second of my time on a rendezvous with a craigslist buyer I had not had a real-time voice conversation with though.

MR/F Guestmap: [www.mapservices.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login