advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anyone ever set up a... Minecraft Server ?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 14, 2011 02:32PM
junior cbelt3 is fascinated with this game, and I like it because it involves a lot of design and construction, which matches his fascination with architecture and engineering (Hey kid ! Get into something that will enable you to support your parents in their old age !)

But the 'servers' that are out there appear to 'blow up' his carefully crafted structures rather frequently. So he wants to 'build his own server'.

Hmm.. well, I've got a few old Macs sitting around.... Could I use an G4 ? Heck, could I use a G3 ?

Anyone have any ideas ?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anyone ever set up a... Minecraft Server ?
Posted by: Manlove
Date: April 14, 2011 02:42PM
I play on a server that actively removes 'greifers' -people who take pleasure in destroying other people's work, causing them grief.
It is friendly and for the most part helpful, but as ever online, there is the occasional swear word and '@#$%&' remarks.
Don't know about setting up your own server, but I would think it would need to be on a modern Mac- it has to run the latest Java. Even on my MBPro (early 2008) I get lagginess when I turn distance fog to off.
Loads of Minecraft forums that will assist in the details.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: April 14, 2011 02:58PM
Never done it, but I would agree that playing on a friend's server is much better. Less chance of griefers, and better conversation as only your friends are allowed in.

Might look into this-
[www.minecraftwiki.net]
Posted by: testcase
Date: April 14, 2011 03:14PM
I think I know where you can score an SE30!
Posted by: earache
Date: April 14, 2011 03:17PM
I set up a server for my daughter and her friend to play on. Running it on my i7 iMac. I think you do need a modern Mac. Great fun for the kids and Dad.

earache
Posted by: ADent
Date: April 15, 2011 02:31AM
My kid has one running on a few year old Compaq laptop running some flavor of linux (slackware?). Made him use a laptop to keep the energy bills down since it is up 24/7.

He and the guests have made some amazingly cool stuff.

Griefers aren't a big problem for him, but he has to keep them in check.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 127
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018