advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
my lawn - advice
Posted by: pbarra1
Date: April 30, 2011 02:36PM
I have one acre of lawn. There are weeds and crabgrass in the lawn. There is a large area around the new pool that is mostly dirt and we would like it to be filled in with grass but I don't know the order I should do things in, growing grass, killing weeds, fertilizing? Any advice would be appreciated.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: my lawn - advice
Posted by: Manlove
Date: April 30, 2011 02:47PM
What do you do on one acre of lawn?
Is it a swimming pool? If so, grass is not a great pool edging material.
Ask a professional for design advice.
Plant an orchard. Raise goats.
Date: April 30, 2011 03:16PM
Folks: There is concrete around pool, then river stone border then fence then more river stone then in the future a concrete curb strip and then the surrounding dirt area that I want to grow grass in that was destroyed by the pool installation.
Posted by: chopper
Date: April 30, 2011 03:24PM
This is prime time to lay some seed down if you can water it every day for a while. Grass seed grows great in Spring before the sun begins to bake the ground. Throw some starter fertilizer down after you rake it, some seed, rake it with the back of your rake, and water.

My mom has a nice three acre lawn. She neither has goats nor an orchard.

Crabgrass and weeds. Pull what you can and plant grass in the holes. This is about the time to put down some kind of pre-emergent but be careful not to put the grass seed and pre-emergent in the same place unless it's specifically for newly planted grass.

Sod is an option but is spendy. But it would be a nice way to handle that area around the pool quickly and keep the amount of mud down.

I'd try the above solutions before ever asking a professional for design advice. Sounds like you just need a sack of seed and some weed killer, not a landscape designer.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: April 30, 2011 03:51PM
Put fake grass down and never have to water, weed, fertilize or mow again...

[www.synlawn.com]

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: mattkime
Date: April 30, 2011 04:13PM
some pics would help

personally, i wouldn't keep it as 1 acre of lawn. there are cheaper and easier things to do with the land.

where are you located? it might be too late for spring seeding if you're far south.

Date: April 30, 2011 04:19PM
northeastern, PA
Posted by: mattkime
Date: April 30, 2011 04:31PM
your plan for growing grass sounds solid. just remember that you need have patience and be diligent about watering.

i agree that i'd avoid getting a pro involved. would be more expensive from all angles.

Posted by: Black
Date: April 30, 2011 05:29PM
Yes, pics.
I would break up the soil down to at least 8", and absolutely take time to level it well or you'll end up with perpetual bald spots.
Depending on the size you might want to amend the soil with 30-50 bags of composted manure (can usually be found for about $2 a bag this time of year).
Definitely spend a little more for 'quality' grass seed. I've had good luck with Schulz and not good luck with Pennington.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Date: April 30, 2011 05:30PM
Also-- fall is actually the better time to start a lawn as there is mondo weed seed on the air in the springtime.

Date: April 30, 2011 05:34PM
if I delay growing grass till the fall what can I do now to limit soil erosion?
Date: April 30, 2011 05:45PM
pbarra1
if I delay growing grass till the fall what can I do now to limit soil erosion?

How big is the bare area? What kind of condition is the soil in?
It would probably make more sense to prep and seed it now.

Posted by: Manlove
Date: April 30, 2011 05:47PM
chopper
...I'd try the above solutions before ever asking a professional for design advice. Sounds like you just need a sack of seed and some weed killer, not a landscape designer.

And would you give the same advice to someone trying to build a web presence? I assume so if this is your m.o. Advice like this accounts for 2/3 of the crap you see on the web and in people's gardens.

I'm not talking about the local 'landscraper' or kid doing yardwork for the summer, but someone who really knows and understands your environment and what works best with it.
Seriously, make a mess of things now (not that you can get in too much trouble with seed, but that's not the point!) and you could make things very expensive to fix later.
People are always asking me to fix the hash they made of things. A plan is so rarely a bad idea.

YMMV

Cover the ground with newspaper then 3" of mulch/compost, till that in in the Fall then rake and plant seed. Cheap, easy and will give the lawn a great start.
Date: April 30, 2011 05:49PM
Manlove
Cover the ground with newspaper then 3" of mulch/compost, till that in in the Fall then rake and plant seed. Cheap, easy and will give the lawn a great start.

3" of mulch/compost spread over an acre? Cheap and easy?

Date: April 30, 2011 07:00PM
People:

There is a bare area surrounding the pool where the grass was destroyed from the pool installation. The rest of the lawn has a lot of weeds.
Posted by: rgG
Date: April 30, 2011 08:25PM
For the rest of the lawn, use a lawn/grass friendly broadleaf weed killer per the instructions on the container. A spray works better than the granules that are in with the fertilizer.

For the bare spot around the pool rake, level, and seed. If that area has just weeds, you will need to kill them first with Round-Up and them wait a couple of weeks before seeding. If this area is just bare dirt that was spread out from where the pool was excavated, you can probably just rake, seed, water and then fertilize as per the instructions for type of seed you are using.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Don C
Date: April 30, 2011 09:20PM
As for the weeds, you can deal with them during the summer if you are willing to be patient.

When I moved to this weed haven half acre, I bought a five gallon sprayer and some broadleaf control and just started walking the yard, filling the tank two or three times and spraying as much as that covered. I did not try to do it all at one time, just; just as much as time and MY patience allowed! Over the course of a summer, I'd change directions, sometimes walking N<->S and other times E<->W.

You can get spraying units to pull behind your lawn tractor if walking the whole lot is too much. Using the hand unit uses less spray because you spray only on the weeds, not the whole lawn.
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: May 01, 2011 06:32AM
I want to see pictures.

I want nude fat (grossly obese) women in these pictures - wearing thongs.

And I want someone to send a PM to Haikuman to make sure he sees them and heaves.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: May 01, 2011 07:48AM
Black
Also-- fall is actually the better time to start a lawn as there is mondo weed seed on the air in the springtime.

Fall is the best time to get a lawn started. You cannot use anything like 2-4D on new grass. If you want do both
both new grass and treat the older area, they'll have to be treated totally seperate. I would try some brand of
weed and feed on older grassed areas if there's any of your original grass left but it's still not a good idea to
overseed when using weed and feed. Depending on your growing zone it may too late to try new grass in bare
areas. Where we live the last day to overseed is generally the last day of March. My wife overseeded 14 acres
of pasture the last week of Mar. with a rented no-till drill and it's doing quite well, she had 200 pounds/acre of fertilize
applied by the local feed and seed. She also applied cow manure via a manure spreader. If you overseed by
just broadcast spreading and not actually putting the seed into the soil or topdressing your germination rate
could be as low 10%. Do you have a riding mower, if you do you can rent an aerator and rough up the existing
areas and then overseed and fertilize. You may also want to have soil tested, you may need lime.

Ortho has an excellent Lawn manual available at Lowes and Home Depot that is great for homeowner lawn care.

[www.amazon.com]

Grateful11
Date: May 01, 2011 08:59AM
Do you ever just go out into the fields, roll around in the fertilizer, and yodel?
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: May 01, 2011 09:21AM
Hey Jimmy, I needed a good laugh today. Thanks man!

Grateful11
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: May 01, 2011 10:51AM
Jimmypoo
Do you ever just go out into the fields, roll around in the fertilizer, and yodel?

Jimmypoo, that was hurtful... and unnecessary!

May Orca the Whale relieve himself on your carpet.

smiling bouncing smiley

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Date: May 01, 2011 12:00PM
If Johnny were alive, his people would have already hunted you down!
Date: May 01, 2011 12:19PM
Jimmypoo
If Johnny were alive, his people would have already hunted you down!

Hiiiiigh-yo!

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Date: May 01, 2011 12:29PM
May a wild Yak examine your prostate with unsterile hooves!
Date: May 01, 2011 12:34PM
May you get your first French kiss from a diseased camel.

Posted by: wowzer
Date: May 01, 2011 04:30PM
Kill the weeds now and seed in the fall. It's hard to sow seed in the spring...although I'm trying to do it with some bald spots on my lawn now. Most weed killers will prevent your seed from germinating too. I prefer to over-seed my lawn in the fall and spring time so that they will crowd out the weeds.

GL.

All I ever really needed to know, I learned from watching Star Trek.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 228
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018