Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $97.02 ( -0.17 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
So what is the Product Recommended for Tires to make them look new/good
Posted by: Microman
Date: May 01, 2011 09:15PM
OK, I have been detailing my little Toyota Truck this weekend.

The waxing part, I just use Turtle Wax liquid, and my buffer, and then the Mequiars Final Touch.
For Black Plastic and rubbr, I use Back To Black, Mothers I think.

But the Rubber on the Tires look old and tired.

Have Armour ALL, NU Something. , Plenty of products that I have used thru the years.

What is your Best for tires? That lasts and doesnt crack

And what should I use on the dash. I have one car that the cover to the Air Bag, looks brand new, but the rest of the dash is faded badly. What is currentl product for DASH renewing?

Thanks.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: So what is the Product Recommended for Tires to make them look new/good
Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: May 01, 2011 09:20PM
Armor All.

Don't bother with the expensive tire foam. Just use the cheap spray.

If you want to restore the white text on tire sidewalls there are kits for that in auto-stores. It comes in a tube with a little brush like nail polish or touchup paint.

Edit: To clarify a bit... I mean that you should use Armor All on BOTH the tires and the dash.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2011 09:21PM by Chakravartin.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: May 01, 2011 09:26PM
Do NOT use Armor All, it is BAD BAD BAD...

A couple options are [www.griotsgarage.com] or [www.griotsgarage.com]

Also [www.adamspolishes.com] [detailersdomain.com] and [detailersdomain.com]

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: [macswap.org] LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Date: May 01, 2011 09:35PM
M A V I C
Do NOT use Armor All, it is BAD BAD BAD...

Why?

Don't tell me you still buy that cr@p about it making rubber crack. It's been demonstrated many times over that the story about it denaturing rubber is an urban myth.

I've seen the results firsthand. I've missed a few spots in the corners of my dash over the years. The difference is dramatic between the faded, dull color of those spots and the rest of the dash which has a rich color.

Tires look great with Armor All on the sidewalls and it lasts longer than any other product I've used.

And the odor makes people think my car is practically new.

So, what's the problem?

Does the company use Guatemalan slave laborors?
Posted by: davester
Date: May 01, 2011 10:03PM
Armor All works great, as does 303 Aerospace protectant.

Ditto what Chakravartin said about the Armor All urban myth. It is a perfectly good product.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: jimmy d
Date: May 01, 2011 11:15PM
Don't bother putting lipstick on a pig. Get new tires. It's the safe way to go, and you want that extra margin between you and the pavement.

I just got new tires for my 4 y/o car, and it feels like a new machine. Making tires look new is no substitute for the real thing.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 02, 2011 01:05AM
I stopped using Armor All some time ago because I don't like the gloss finish it leaves behind.

Aside from that, it's a great product. It does leave a film on the windows, though, so I had to clean the inside far more often.

And when the vinyl dash on my previous car was rock hard after ten years of occasional sunlight, Armor All actually softened it a tad.

But the gloss finish on everything just bugged me, especially on the tires. Go figure.

I want something that gives the tires back a black finish but makes then look new, or fairly close to it. And I've never seen any tire glossy, off the rack.

Maybe I'll give 303 a try.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

Pixels were born to be punished. -Frederick Van Johnson

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: May 02, 2011 05:23AM
RAMd®d
I stopped using Armor All some time ago because I don't like the gloss finish it leaves behind.

agree smiley

Date: May 02, 2011 06:14AM
There's a "detailer" version of Armor All that is less shiny.
Posted by: DP
Date: May 02, 2011 07:19AM
I agree that if your tires are cracked it's time for new tires not AA.
Posted by: Dakota
Date: May 02, 2011 10:33AM
What else is there that does the job without the gloss? I actually used to like AA's gloss but not anymore. Perhaps because every beat up used car that is prettied up for sale has it on its dash.

After you discover you're riding a dead horse, your best strategy is to dismount.
Date: May 02, 2011 04:26PM
Armor All used to be really bad, there's no doubting that. It did damage rubber, plastics... and cause them to crack or otherwise age prematurely. Armor All even admitted this and changed their formula many years ago to remove some of the components which were causing the problem. This isn't a myth.

Still, AA has some compounds in it which can cause problems. It's not as big of a problem as it once was, but it still occurs. A simple Google search will turn up plenty of results of people who have the problem.

Some car restoration experts I know have even run their own tests, treating sections of the same plastic with AA, other protectants and leaving a portion alone. The results on the current AA formula is that is still worse than using nothing at all.

Enthusiasts, detailers and restoration experts have plenty of data on AA to show its damage isn't a myth.

Date: May 02, 2011 09:15PM
M A V I C
Armor All even admitted this and changed their formula many years ago to remove some of the components which were causing the problem. This isn't a myth.

Armor All changed their formula because the FDA cracked down on common chemicals that could cause health problems, not because the product cracked people's dashes and tires.

M A V I C
Still, AA has some compounds in it which can cause problems. It's not as big of a problem as it once was, but it still occurs. A simple Google search will turn up plenty of results of people who have the problem.

Yes. Armor All has oils in it that can cause problems... if you apply it to your car's finish.

It's very bad for painted surfaces.

M A V I C
Some car restoration experts I know have even run their own tests...

Apocryphal. It'd take years for damage to show... Or do they have access to an environmental testing lab at the Library of Congress or NASA?

M A V I C
Enthusiasts, detailers and restoration experts have plenty of data on AA to show its damage isn't a myth.

Detailers are just sick of the stuff because everyone gives it to them as cheap gifts and they can't dispose of it quickly enough.

"Enthusiasts" get stuck in mental ruts. Look at all the people who still religiously repair permissions in Snow Leopard even though it's been practically meaningless as a maintenance routine since Tiger.

Lots of myths perpetuate due to our friend Google. Where are the lab tests to show that Armor All causes damage?

'Fact is that it rejuvenates rubber and vinyl beautifully and the UV protection is something I've seen for myself. I've even used it to make rock-hard rubber pickups in old laser printers work again. It's great stuff and you've no substantive evidence to the contrary.
Posted by: Bimwad
Date: May 02, 2011 09:41PM
OP: try Meguiars' Endurance. Available in both satin and glossy finishes.

I think it works better for tires than the general protectants.
Date: May 02, 2011 10:36PM
Chakravartin
M A V I C
Armor All even admitted this and changed their formula many years ago to remove some of the components which were causing the problem. This isn't a myth.

Armor All changed their formula because the FDA cracked down on common chemicals that could cause health problems, not because the product cracked people's dashes and tires.

Not according to Armor All.

Detailers are just sick of the stuff because everyone gives it to them as cheap gifts and they can't dispose of it quickly enough.

Like I said, they've done their own tests to see if it's actually bad or not, and the tests show it is bad.

"Enthusiasts" get stuck in mental ruts.

They also do a ton of research to find out what works and what doesn't. Attacking an entire group of people just shows up as an attempt to gloss over the details.

Lots of myths perpetuate due to our friend Google. Where are the lab tests to show that Armor All causes damage?

And lots of facts are perpetuated due to our friend Google. Do you have any lab tests on your side?

'Fact is that it rejuvenates rubber and vinyl beautifully and the UV protection is something I've seen for myself. I've even used it to make rock-hard rubber pickups in old laser printers work again. It's great stuff and you've no substantive evidence to the contrary.

My evidence has come from many different sources, many of whom have to know the answers to questions like this as part of their day job. Some are restoration experts who've spent decades working on cars and doing research. They've worked on hundreds if not thousands of vehicles and run many of their own tests in very scientific methods. That's far more substantive than anything you've provided.

Date: May 02, 2011 11:33PM
M A V I C
Chakravartin
M A V I C

Not according to Armor All.

Then you should be able to show me where they say their product caused rubber to crack.

Dude, all they did was swap in isopropyl for methyl, use less water and call it the new and improved thicker spray. That's all that changed and it's why they can still call the stuff "original formula."

M A V I C

And lots of facts are perpetuated due to our friend Google. Do you have any lab tests on your side?

Nope.

I know how useful it is from practical experience and I know that it protects my vinyl from UV because those areas that I missed are conspicuously faded.

And I know that for every post where someone says that they've heard that Armor All damages rubber and vinyl there are dozens recommending it to clean, protect, shine and rejuvenate rubber and vinyl.

M A V I C
My evidence has come from many different sources, many of whom have to know the answers to questions like this as part of their day job. Some are restoration experts who've spent decades working on cars and doing research. They've worked on hundreds if not thousands of vehicles and run many of their own tests in very scientific methods. That's far more substantive than anything you've provided.

I've offered my personal experience. You're asserting the authority of unnamed persons.

BTW: It's recommended for keeping the vinyl tubing flexible in medical appliances.
[www.adctoday.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2011 11:34PM by Chakravartin.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login