advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $113.00 ( +1.22 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Craigslist scam - how do these people make money?
Posted by: volcs0
Date: May 02, 2011 05:41PM
I'm trying to rent out our home in Boston, and I posted a CL ad.

I assume this is a scam - but how would the person/people make money? Would it be one of those Western Union / I pay for something upfront kinds of things?

Hello , Thanks for your email,i appreciate your mail and the price is okay for me.I am moving from the UK,England.I am working with General Dynamics Information Technology company at present Below is my company address here in the UK: Company Name: General Dynamics Information Technology, Inc. Department: consultant, Address: 20 Bromley Road, Bromley. B2 7HT.... I would want you to tell me more about the place,how far is the place for the bus station,shopping mall and Hwy.Please i will want you to get back to me so that we can arrange for payment, at this point my company will be responsible for the 1 month rent and security deposit and i want you to know i will be leasing the property for a year, other payment will be made by me in person and i would want you to know that all application will be fill and sign on my arrival to the state. I mortgage a property here in Uk, i will bring along with the mortgage statement,working reference on my arrival and lease of the property will start from 15th of May my move in is flexible i can move in when ever is going to be available,payment will be in cashiers check.. Pls send to me the following detail below so that the payment will be mail out to you immediately. Full name:....................... Address:......................... City:............................ State:........................... Zip code:......................... Phone number(home and cell):.................... I will be waiting for your mail as soon as possible. Thanks Jane Baltimore
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Craigslist scam - how do these people make money?
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 02, 2011 05:47PM
Respond to the ad and report back.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 02, 2011 05:49PM
I just got this scam. How do scammers make any money? it must be like gambling... spend $1000 but hang on dearly to that one one time you won $20. So they spend 1000s of hours getting nothing, but then get someone for $20 and its like the highlight of the day?
:

----

The Secret Diary of Steve Jobs [www.fakesteve.net]

Posted by: hal
Date: May 02, 2011 07:06PM
that email won't make them a single cent, but if you are an idiot and reply, they then have the email address of an affluent (if you own a rental, close enough) person. IF you give them all the info they ask for, they WILL make money.

Repeat 1,000,000 times... watch the money roll in...
Posted by: kap
Date: May 02, 2011 07:34PM
A family's friend received a similar email when she tried to rent out a spare room in her home. UK must a haven for net scammers!

West San Gabriel Valley, California ... for the time being :-)
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 02, 2011 08:06PM
I'm recalling an old joke......

I was in a bar the other night. A guy was standing near the door in a bar. Whenever an attractive lady would enter, he would lean over an say something to her. And then she would slap him ! This happened about 7 times. I finally went over and asked him what it was all about.

"Well", he said, "I came up with a sure-fire pickup line. I just lean in and ask the girl if she'll go home and have sex with me. "

"But..", I said," You keep getting slapped !".

"I know", he said. " About 24 out of 25 say no, or slap me. But that ONE girl who goes home with me makes up for all the others."
Posted by: CaBob
Date: May 02, 2011 08:11PM
I could be the old cashier's check gimmick. They send you a check for more than the total and ask you to refund them the difference. A few weeks later you discover that the check bounced (they do) and that your bank holds you responsible for the difference.

[www.craigslist.org]
Posted by: kap
Date: May 02, 2011 08:24PM
CaBob
I could be the old cashier's check gimmick. They send you a check for more than the total and ask you to refund them the difference. A few weeks later you discover that the check bounced (they do) and that your bank holds you responsible for the difference.

[www.craigslist.org]

Yup!

West San Gabriel Valley, California ... for the time being :-)
Posted by: space-time
Date: May 03, 2011 11:30AM
CaBob

[www.craigslist.org]

why would it take a few weeks for a cashier's check to bounce? I thought even personal checks clear much faster these days, they don't actually send the check to the other bank, they exchange images.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 143
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 322 on December 17, 2014