Posted by: Dennis S
Date: May 05, 2011 12:25AM
Wow!

[www.darkroastedblend.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: World's most dangerous roads
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: May 05, 2011 12:49AM
I was on this road 1 month ago. I usually have no problem at all---I did pucker a little bit on this one since it was a gravel road. It was a state highway, and all the subben at the bottome of the Mesa-the pavement ended, and the drop offs were large.
Traveling from Mexican Hat to Natural Bridges National Monument.
Mexican Hat

Here is the GooGle Maps link
[goo.gl]

More photos of the grand trip. Unedited [gallery.me.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2011 12:52AM by Ken Sp..
Posted by: steve...
Date: May 05, 2011 01:52AM
The History channel had a good series on television awhile back: "IRT (Ice Road Truckers) Deadliest Roads". It was about four North American truck drivers on mountain roads in the Himalayas.

Lisa, one of the drivers...

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 05, 2011 04:18AM
They obviously have not seen US19 in Pasco County (Florida) outside the Golden Corral All You Can Eat Buffet on free meals for military vets day.

You can tell a lot about a woman by her hands...
- For example, if they are wrapped around your throat she's probably slightly upset.
Posted by: kj
Date: May 05, 2011 04:41AM
I thought the "road to Hana" was bad. I'd have to say any road in Kenya has to be one of the worlds most dangerous roads. They're so bad, people drive beside them. kj.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: May 05, 2011 04:46AM
Bolivia's "Road of Death" was featured on an episode of Top Gear.

Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: May 05, 2011 06:41AM
Some of those roads are insane. There's at least one spot on the Bolivian road where you had to drive through a freaking waterfall as if they weren't bad enough already. And people drive these things at night and in the rain. I'd have to suck it up so hard my googlies would be hanging out of my ears before I drove on those roads.

Both the Top Gear episode and the Ice Road Truckers spin off show were really good.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: May 05, 2011 06:45AM
I've been on the road at Trollstigen (page 5) as a passenger and driver since I was about 18 months old. Over the last 45 years it's gotten a lot better. Meeting a bus or truck was always an experience. The Norwegian Auto Club had drivers at the top and the bottom of the road to drive people's cars for those that couldn't do it. The ride down provides a beautiful view.
Posted by: billb
Date: May 05, 2011 07:19AM
I've done some similar ones in Norway ( never in the Winter when it's really bad) . First time as a passenger being that little bit closer to the edge was ---- not something I wanted to do again.
Posted by: jepinto
Date: May 05, 2011 07:37AM
hmmmmm...Vertigo and those roads, NO way.

Mackinac Bridge can only be done in the floorboard and hope like the dickens someone else is driving. Sunshine Skyway Bridge same thing.
Date: May 05, 2011 08:20AM
Of course, now that I think about it. We lived on a mountain at the end of a dirt road when we first moved to NC. That dirt road had some harrowing spots in it. Only enough room for one vehicle. The wrong banking on a curve. Loose gravel etc. The only positive was that it was only about 1.5 miles to pavement. And while there were dropoffs (conveniently on the wrong way banked curve) you probably wouldn't die...unless you were going over 30 or 40 mph.

Posted by: billb
Date: May 05, 2011 09:23AM
Damn, that looks just like some of the potholes in Rhode Island.

:-)
Posted by: MartyStickle
Date: May 05, 2011 09:54AM
bazookaman
Of course, now that I think about it. We lived on a mountain at the end of a dirt road when we first moved to NC. That dirt road had some harrowing spots in it. Only enough room for one vehicle. The wrong banking on a curve. Loose gravel etc. The only positive was that it was only about 1.5 miles to pavement. And while there were dropoffs (conveniently on the wrong way banked curve) you probably wouldn't die...unless you were going over 30 or 40 mph.

This sounds like my mountain road in western nc.
Date: May 05, 2011 10:11AM
MartyStickle
bazookaman

This sounds like my mountain road in western nc.

It was indeed western NC. In a town called Buladean. Which up until a few years ago you couldn't even locate on Google Maps.

Posted by: freeradical
Date: May 05, 2011 10:42AM
I think I've seen that Bolivian road on some other show.

There's no way I could be a passenger on that road.

I've been on some pretty hairy roads in Southern Italy and Sardinia, which were basically just switchbacks up mountains.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login