advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $566.15 ( +41.40 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
VCR and DVD connect to bigscreen led tv? ( samsung UN55B6000 )
Posted by: MacDoxy
Date: May 05, 2011 04:31PM
my mom has a huge 55" samsung UN55B6000 led tv
can i connect VCRs to it OR
will it have some kind of digital converter issue or something?

ultimately she wants to connect a VCR and a DVD player to this tv.
maybe connect the vcr to the dvd player? idk
she has cable and a dvd player on it now

TIA
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: VCR and DVD connect to bigscreen led tv? ( samsung UN55B6000 )
Posted by: Gareth
Date: May 05, 2011 04:42PM
Looks like that TV only has one analog input that can be used for either composite or component. If the DVD player has HDMI out, you're all set (hook it up to an HDMI port and the VCR to the composite input).

If the DVD player doesn't have HDMI, just get one that does. They're cheap enough now and it'll be easier than dealing with converters or external switch boxes. Well, a simple composite video manual switch box would be easy, but you'd lose a lot of quality from the DVD player.
Posted by: olnacl
Date: May 05, 2011 04:44PM
According to this you have:
5 A/V inputs, including:
1 component video (selectable component/composite)
4 HDMI v1.3 — accepts signals up to 1080p (60Hz, 24Hz)
Use the Component/composite for the VCR and hopefully your DVD will have HDMI out.

Garath beat me to it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2011 04:45PM by olnacl.
Posted by: davester
Date: May 05, 2011 06:21PM
Also note that if you possibly can, avoid composite (yellow video RCA jack) for the VCR hookup. Even with such a lowly source as a VCR, anything is better than the composite hookup in terms of picture quality. The VCR probably has either an S-video or a component output (in addition to the crappy yellow composite jack). If it has component then you are good to go and will need a cable (or cables) with 5 RCA jacks (3 for picture, 2 for audio). If you have S-video then you will need to buy an S-video to component adapter for about $20.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: May 05, 2011 06:30PM
Get a combo VHS/Blu-ray player. They do a great job of upsampling VHS tapes (just playback, no recording) to modern TVs, and you can hook it up via HDMI. I gave my dad one last Christmas, and he loves it.
Posted by: MacDoxy
Date: May 05, 2011 07:33PM
wow lots of good feedback, thx
Posted by: Gareth
Date: May 05, 2011 07:38PM
davester
Also note that if you possibly can, avoid composite (yellow video RCA jack) for the VCR hookup.

On a regular VCR, composite video is the best you're going to get. Only if it is a combo with a DVD (or Blu-Ray) player, you'll get component or HDMI (and even then, you have to make sure it will upsample the VCR section to the component/HDMI). And mostly only S-VHS VCR's had S-Video.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login