The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
OFFICIAL MobileMe transition Information
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 06, 2011 02:46PM
Poll
Mobile Me Users.. opinions ?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
24 votes were received.
Sucks. I should get freebie iTunes Match at LEAST 6

25%
Needs more Info 6

25%
Shut off new accounts NOW and won't be available until Fall ? How KAYPRO of you. 3

13%
It's gonna be free ! (bouncing around like a ferret on crack) 3

13%
Meh. Who cares. 6

24%

[support.apple.com]

"Summary

What's happening to MobileMe?
Effective June 6, 2011, if you had an active MobileMe account, your service has been automatically extended through June 30, 2012, at no additional charge. After this, the MobileMe service will no longer be available.
Products Affected

MobileMe

What will happen to the content I have on MobileMe?
Apple has announced a new service called iCloud which will be available this fall and free for iOS 5 and OS X Lion users. When you sign up for iCloud, you'll be able to keep your me.com or mac.com email address and move your MobileMe mail, contacts, calendars, and bookmarks to the new service.

When iCloud becomes available this fall, more details and instructions will be provided on how to make the move.
Can I create a new MobileMe account?
You can no longer create a new 60-day trial account or start a new subscription using a code contained in a MobileMe box. However, if you have a Family Pack subscription, you can still create new family member accounts.

Can I upgrade to a Family Pack or purchase additional storage?
Effective June 6, 2011, you can no longer upgrade your Individual account to a Family Pack or purchase additional storage for your MobileMe account.

I purchased a MobileMe box and have not used the activation code inside. Can I get refund for it?
Yes. If you have an unused activation code from a MobileMe box, you can submit a refund request.
"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2011 02:49PM by cbelt3.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OFFICIAL MobileMe transition Information
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: June 06, 2011 02:53PM
No mention if you can upgrade iCloud storage to match MobileMe 20GB
Posted by: $tevie
Date: June 06, 2011 02:56PM
So who trusts that Apple will leave the free service free forever? I don't.

Date: June 06, 2011 02:58PM
$tevie-
They're competing with Google. I see them being very sensitive to that. But web site hosting ? Uh oh...
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: June 06, 2011 03:08PM
$tevie

Don't sign up. :booty:

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: June 06, 2011 03:10PM
cbelt3
But web site hosting ? Uh oh...

Apple has been moving away from this for quite a while, now. iWeb is dead. Hosting is gone in a year. And nobody who has been paying attention is surprised.

rj
AKA
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: June 06, 2011 03:12PM
$tevie

$tevie has a point -- remember when Apple first introduced the "My name is Alan, and my email is alan at mac dot com" thing way, way back when? They said "free for life" and then dot mac came along and you either had to sign up for the service or piggy back on someone who did. (FWIW, I signed up day one, and have ever since. I use iWeb and MobileMe daily in my work.)

I'll transfer and sign up with whatever they set up; I've never come across anything that melds so seamlessly with my Mac workflow. It's just too bad that they couldn't do something like Dropbox before Dropbox did it. (Dropbox is also integral to my daily workflow.)

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: Gutenberg
Date: June 06, 2011 03:15PM
Sorry, I was busy and didn't see the keynote. Do I have to upgrade to Lion to use iCloud? Because one of the computers to which I sync is my work computer, which is Snow Leopard. Lion-only would not be good. I am guessing that iCloud is like a bigger iDisk, am I correct?
Date: June 06, 2011 03:16PM
Hey, I've got mobileme and if it isn't going to cost me anything I'll go along for the iCloud ride. My point was exactly what Zoidberg figured it was.

Date: June 06, 2011 03:18PM
Gutenberg
Sorry, I was busy and didn't see the keynote. Do I have to upgrade to Lion to use iCloud? Because one of the computers to which I sync is my work computer, which is Snow Leopard. Lion-only would not be good. I am guessing that iCloud is like a bigger iDisk, am I correct?
I can't figure that out, either. I've got a lot of old computers which still work but aren't going to be running Lion, so despite my airy attitude in my previous post I have a feeling I won't be able to use iCloud. I'm not sure that I even care, I'm getting kind of worn out on all this stuff and will probably be a Google girl. The Google logo beats the heck out of that craptoid iCloud logo, for one thing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2011 03:19PM by $tevie.
Posted by: TheToddler
Date: June 06, 2011 03:20PM
i wished they'd toss'd all the mobile me users at least one year free of iTunes Match ...
Date: June 06, 2011 03:27PM
$tevie
Hey, I've got mobileme and if it isn't going to cost me anything I'll go along for the iCloud ride. My point was exactly what Zoidberg figured it was.

Not until everyone who was alive when Apple reneged on their "free email for life" offer has died will this go away. It's astonishing to me how important it has remained to folks, that they lost access to something they never paid a dime for ALMOST A DECADE AGO. It's become a betrayal of Biblical proportions.

rj
AKA
Date: June 06, 2011 03:29PM
I didn't even have that service because I couldn't be bothered at the time, so I lost NOTHING.

You need to learn the difference between a quick post knocked out between phone calls for its sarcastic effect and a "trauma".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2011 03:29PM by $tevie.
Date: June 06, 2011 03:35PM
$tevie
You need to learn the difference between a quick post knocked out between phone calls for its sarcastic effect and a "trauma".

Sorry, $tevie - you caught a venting that wasn't really aimed at you. Didn't mean to say you were overreacting or traumatized. My bad.

rj
AKA
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: June 06, 2011 03:52PM
Yeah, my friend; there's no trauma. We all understand business is business. Regardless, it's a valid point. Apple did use the words "free for life" quite a bit when advertising the setup back then. They deserve the knock for it and likely have learned not to include the "for life" thing anymore. At least not in conjunction with "free", eh?

Now, if someone can just tell me what's going to happen with iWeb hosting...

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: edgarbc1
Date: June 06, 2011 04:26PM
cbelt3
But web site hosting ? Uh oh...

i know.. im bummed about that...
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: June 06, 2011 04:29PM
Perhaps "Free For Life" meant.... for as long as the program is alive.
Date: June 06, 2011 04:30PM
Zoidberg
... Apple did use the words "free for life" quite a bit when advertising the setup back then. They deserve the knock for it and likely have learned not to include the "for life" thing anymore. At least not in conjunction with "free", eh?

I think we can only be happy it wasn't Microsoft. They'd be hiring hit men to make sure that we all expired.
Posted by: testcase
Date: June 06, 2011 04:33PM
$tevie

I'm STILL pissed off about being phukked over by Apple years ago. That's why my primary email account is with Google. angry villagers smiley

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. mad smiley
Posted by: olnacl
Date: June 06, 2011 06:23PM
Well, so much for keeping my Cube synched…
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: June 06, 2011 06:24PM
I say this sucks. I'm getting really sick of Apple and their "improvements." Too bad there is no viable alternative. I've been using a .mac email address for several years and changing it will be a major pain in the ass. Whether iCloud free or not, I don't care, because I don't want Lion based on what I know so far.

Posted by: jdc
Date: June 07, 2011 05:55AM
Uncle Wig
I say this sucks. I'm getting really sick of Apple and their "improvements." Too bad there is no viable alternative. I've been using a .mac email address for several years and changing it will be a major pain in the ass. Whether iCloud free or not, I don't care, because I don't want Lion based on what I know so far.

Seriously -- I missed where it said you needed Lion to use the cloud?

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: June 07, 2011 10:21AM
jdc
Uncle Wig

Seriously -- I missed where it said you needed Lion to use the cloud?

"Requires iOS 5 on iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPod touch (3rd and 4th generation), iPad, or iPad 2, or a Mac computer with OS X Lion"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 187
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020