advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Recommendations for Cape Cod Stuff To Do?
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: June 09, 2011 03:18AM
Hi gang,

I'm going to be spending some time in Cape Cod - specifically, Eastham, MA. It's about 35 minutes from Provincetown, and 2 hours or so from Boston.

I've never been to the area, and am not really much of a beach person. I'd love to hear your suggestions for things to do in the area, from eating spots to cultural happenings/destinations to other local activities.

I suspect i'll head up to Provincetown at least once, possibly twice, and may do a day trip to Boston too. All ideas are welcome! I'll have a car but probably not a bike (other than rental), and a relatively limited budget. Thanks for the advice, folks - i appreciate your suggestions!

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Recommendations for Cape Cod Stuff To Do?
Posted by: M>B>
Date: June 09, 2011 04:09AM
Lobster or crab rolls once a day!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2011 04:10AM by M>B>.
Posted by: Wild eep
Date: June 09, 2011 04:36AM
In P-town you can rent a small boat with motor for short money. They even throw in a box of raw squid and a drop line to go fishing. from there you can put-put around the cape waters.

I know you said you're not a beach person but the national seashore is a nice place to go in p-town.
And if you want you can do the naked beach part of it.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

~~ eep ~~ eep ~~
Posted by: haikuman
Date: June 09, 2011 04:45AM
The illusive Wild eep forgot to mention you might even find Carly Simon singing "Coming Around Again"
Fishing is good for your soul *(:>*

[www.capecodonline.com]

In P-town you can rent a small boat with motor for short money. They even throw in a box of raw squid and a drop line to go fishing. from there you can put-put around the cape waters.

I know you said you're not a beach person but the national seashore is a nice place to go in p-town.
And if you want you can do the naked beach part of it.

http://wildeep.com/logo.gif

“Stay Hungry Stay Foolish"
Steve Jobs

"There are only two mantras yum and yuk mine is yum "
Bernard Mickey Wrangle<>Tom Robbins<> "Still Life With Woodpecker"

"There is a fine line between a rut and a groove"
G.D. Kittredge III

"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2011 04:58AM by haikuman.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 09, 2011 05:52AM
....if single....your Cape Cod neighbor(s).....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2011 05:53AM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: Janit
Date: June 09, 2011 08:29AM
M>B>
Lobster or crab rolls once a day!

Fried clams too -- the whole clams not just the strips.
Posted by: rz
Date: June 09, 2011 08:40AM
I've never been there, but from what I've heard, the "naked" part of the beach in P-town is going to be mostly gay men. Not that there's anything wrong with that. P-town is a very popular destination for the gay community.
Posted by: billb
Date: June 09, 2011 08:51AM
So, you're travelling to a huge pile of sand surrounded by water and don't want to chill out at a beach. OK
:-)

If you're not at the beach and head off cape or towards Hyannis or Woods Hole / Falmouth expect to sit in traffic. Expect traffic on any road with a 6 or 28 tag on it, especially mid-cape to the bridges.

Best to have day destinations so you spend less time behind a wheel.

Hyannis can be a great walk around point with a few things to do, maybe end the day here: [www.capetrain.com]
Make the reservations, NOW.
If you head to P-Town there have been a lot of whales this year - might want to do a whale watching trip. There were so many this year you could watch them from the beach - but it's more fun on a boat - and the boat can go to where they are today, even if it's fairly far off-shore.

All manner of walking and biking trails if you're into that.

Good views from Pilgrim Monument ( worth the climb) in P-town and Scargo Tower rather short to be called a tower, but great views, in Dennis.

Rent a bike in Buzzards Bay - do both sides of the canal - there's a great restaurant past the Power Company a little past where the bike trail /canal service road ends on the Sagamore side at the beach at the end of Town Neck road in Sandwich. If you head down to the Town Beach from there there's a great boardwalk out onto the marsh. I've gotten some great moonrise shots from the dunes on that beach.
[hemispherecapecod.com] - certainly not the greatest eats on the Cape, but if you're biking the canal - it's one of those many 'worth -it" destinations you'll find if you venture off the bike trails just a little ways.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2011 08:59AM by billb.
Posted by: haikuman
Date: June 09, 2011 09:01AM
billb
So, you're travelling to a huge pile of sand surrounded by water and don't want to chill out at a beach. OK
:-)

If you're not at the beach and head off cape or towards Hyannis or Woods Hole / Falmouth expect to sit in traffic. Expect traffic on any road with a 6 or 28 tag on it, especially mid-cape to the bridges.

Best to have day destinations so you spend less time behind a wheel.

Hyannis can be a great walk around point with a few things to do, maybe end the day here: [www.capetrain.com]
Make the reservations, NOW.
If you head to P-Town there have been a lot of whales this year - might want to do a whale watching trip. There were so many this year you could watch them from the beach - but it's more fun on a boat - and the boat can go to where they are today, even if it's fairly far off-shore.

All manner of walking and biking trails if you're into that.

Good views from Pilgrim Monument ( worth the climb) in P-town and Scargo Tower rather short to be called a tower, but great views, in Dennis.

Rent a bike in Buzzards Bay - do both sides of the canal - there's a great restaurant past the Power Company a little past where the bike trail /canal service road ends on the Sagamore side at the beach at the end of Town Neck road in Sandwich. If you head down to the Town Beach from there there's a great boardwalk out onto the marsh. I've gotten some great moonrise shots from the dunes on that beach.
[hemispherecapecod.com] - certainly not the greatest eats on the Cape, but if you're biking the canal - it's one of those many 'worth -it" destinations you'll find if you venture off the bike trails just a little ways.

Gawd damn billb makes me wish I was there now ~!~

“Stay Hungry Stay Foolish"
Steve Jobs

"There are only two mantras yum and yuk mine is yum "
Bernard Mickey Wrangle<>Tom Robbins<> "Still Life With Woodpecker"

"There is a fine line between a rut and a groove"
G.D. Kittredge III

"

Posted by: neophyte
Date: June 09, 2011 09:43AM
Friendly's! Tuna roll and Milkshake! Yum!
Posted by: $tevie
Date: June 09, 2011 09:55AM
Stuffed quahogs.

Grapenut pudding.

I like the Heritage Plantation or Museum or whatever they are calling it now. Especially the antique cars, although all of it is quite interesting and the gardens are lovely.
[www.heritagemuseumsandgardens.org]

Stuffed quahogs.

Sandwich has a few nice little museums and the Greenbriar Nature Center.
[www.thorntonburgess.org]
Anyone know if The Marshlands restaurant is still good? It used to be great for a casual meal.

You could go look at the fish hatchery from which my grandfather used to steal the occasional fish. smiling smiley

Stuffed quahogs.

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: June 09, 2011 10:22AM
There's a stuffed quahog (sometimes quahoag) contingent here, I guess. Just make sure there is lots of meat and not too much breading. And some bacon.

I would take your car to Falmouth Center, rent some bikes and hop on the rail trail to Woods Hole and take in a day at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute. If you have kids, or not, there is a decent aquarium there and a few good restaurants (Fishmonger, Landfall, avoid Captain Kidd).

If you're feeling ambitious, bicycle-wise, take the ferry to MV via Falmouth Center (the Island Queen, not the Woods Hole ferry). You can take bikes on this pedestrian-only ferry and jump easily onto the bike paths around the Vineyard. Very nice trip but the Vineyard is bigger than you think, and even slightly hilly).
Posted by: Robert M
Date: June 09, 2011 12:18PM
rj,

Check out Jaspers Surf Shop. It's an old school shop selling t-shirts and other souvenirs that I visited during a trip to cape cod. Just thinking about it brings back fond memories!

[capecod.citysearch.com]

Robert
Posted by: billb
Date: June 09, 2011 01:08PM
Hyannis: the candle factory is gone
but you can still watch them make potato chips :[www.capecodchips.com]
brew beer [capecodbeer.com] brewery tours are just on Saturdays I think.
there are wineries popping up all over New England - even the Cape has one [www.capecodwinery.com]
catch a show [www.melodytent.org]

mentioned above: [aquarium.nefsc.noaa.gov]
might find a oddball fish or crustacean that some fisherman caught and donated rather than eat

If you get to Sandwich : [www.pairpoint.com]
kind of a mini , mini Corning

Towns often have events on thier town center greens and/or bandshells during the Summer - find a local paper or events

Falmouth used to have neato puppet shows on saturdays in the center of town -
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: June 09, 2011 02:22PM
Woohoo! Great suggestions, guys... Keep 'em coming!

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Janit
Date: June 09, 2011 03:12PM
If possible, plan your vehicular excursions on weekdays or early mornings and stay put on the weekends. The turnover traffic on the weekends is unbearable.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 109
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020