advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Cool things to do in London?
Posted by: Anthony
Date: June 13, 2011 01:47PM
Leaving next week to do an artist retreat and will have a couple days in London before heading south. First time there for me so suggestions are welcome.

Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared. - Buddha...

anthonysalvo.com
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Cool things to do in London?
Posted by: PeteJ
Date: June 13, 2011 01:55PM
So many things to do and so little time!

One of my favorites is the Churchill War Rooms.
Posted by: rgG
Date: June 13, 2011 01:56PM
British Museum should be tops on everyone's list.

Westminster Cathedral is impressive, too, as is the Tower of London.

So much else to do also, just depends on your interests.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: June 13, 2011 01:59PM
Imperial War Museum
British Museum
Climb the tower at St. Pauls Cathedral
Thames cruise(s).
Tower of London (grounds and Museum)
Shop along Portobello Road for antiques
Borough Market for food.
Shop at Harrods
Shakespeares Globe Theater.

That's only a FEW of the eleventy-gazillion things available...

I'm going in a few weeks. I'll have four days in London, and have no idea how I'll see even a quarter of what I want to see!

Have a GREAT trip!

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Manlove
Date: June 13, 2011 02:01PM
"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

What floats your boat?
It's all there.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 13, 2011 02:07PM
......I believe Kate Middleton's sister, Pippa, is now high on the to do list (according to the gossip rags)......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: June 13, 2011 02:11PM
I know I'm a pig... but I would SO do Pippa!!!! boink smiley

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 13, 2011 02:26PM
Westminster. Hunt for the grave marker of Oliver Cromwell. And LOL like I did when you discover that the committee that had the stone cut has their names larger than his. Classic English Bureaucratic thinking.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 13, 2011 02:27PM
Tate Modern. uh....art art art art....

and get out into the countryside a bit. go for a long walk that ends inn a pub and have a pint of bitter.

Posted by: davester
Date: June 13, 2011 02:29PM
Two days isn't enough for much. For a first timer and only two days I think I'd stick to the following:

1. Get up early and take the Big Bus tour (you can hop on and hop off any Big Bus at any time and as many times as you want) to get the lay of the land.

2. See the British Museum, where all of the treasures of the ancient world are kept. It makes the Smithsonian look like an amateur stamp collection in comparison (and I like the Smithsonian). You could easily spend a week in there, but go see the egyptian/greek/roman antiquities areas at least (go in the entrance and then go through the doors on the left of the main interior square).

3. Walk the embankment (south bank of the Thames) and take a ride on the London Eye so you're at the top around sunset.

4. Check Shakespeare's Globe Theater schedule and book tickets way ahead of your trip if there's a play you want to see.

5. Wander around Covent Garden area and sample some Real Ale at a pub.

If you really want to visit the Tower of London (...the crown jewels and suits of armor are very impressive) be aware that the lines can be very long so you might spend your entire stay waiting in line. I've had best luck showing up near the end of viewing hours and zipping in without any lines.

With so little time, I wouldn't waste it on Harrods or Portobello road. Too far out and not worth it unless you've time to spare.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: billb
Date: June 13, 2011 02:39PM
Madame Jo-Jo's
Posted by: Spock
Date: June 13, 2011 03:52PM
The National Gallery and The National Portrait Gallery, The Turner bequest at The Tate Gallery and try not to miss one of London's hidden gems, The Wallace Collection.

You will be spoiled for choice.

Comedy Central: Best news channel that isn't a news channel.

Fox News: Best comedy channel that isn't a comedy channel.
Date: June 13, 2011 06:20PM
Spock
The National Gallery and The National Portrait Gallery, The Turner bequest at The Tate Gallery and try not to miss one of London's hidden gems, The Wallace Collection.

You will be spoiled for choice.

Those are all definitely way up the list, but you'll never make it to those in your two days unless art galleries are at the very top of your list.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Black
Date: June 13, 2011 06:32PM
When I was in London I was struck by the fact that you can go see a (different) orchestral performance every night of the week.
London Symphony one night, London Philharmonic another, Academy of St. Martin in the Fields the next, Royal Opera/ Covent Garden the next, etc. Get yourself something resembling a student ID . . .

Otherwise:
Sit in Trafalgar Square around noon on a weekday and watch people eat their egg salad sandwiches.
Visit Hyde Park and check out the gardens.
Hit an Indian Restaurant in Soho.
Have a Scon with clotted cream and jam in the crypt Café at Academy of St. Martin in the fields.
Tower Bridge tour, Thames tour.
Visit the Gherkin for me. I fell in love with this building plowing through 8 seasons of The Apprentice UK.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Date: June 13, 2011 06:33PM
BTW-- grab a copy of Time Out London as soon as you get there.
(It's not a gay periodical . . .)

Date: June 13, 2011 06:34PM
By the way-- I loooove London. Felt like I was supposed to have been born there . . .

Date: June 13, 2011 06:35PM
And oh yeah-- if you happen to have an iPod that can play radio, bring it-- there are a zillion stations in London and none of them are bad.

Posted by: mrthuse
Date: June 13, 2011 07:36PM
Many years ago, a pretty good high school Humanities student came to me asking for extra work to do over a family holiday in England. I told her to write out the first 42 lines of "Terrence, This Is Stupid Stuff" by A.E. Houseman, go into a local pub w/ her parents, get everyone's attention and explain that for extra credit she had to recite the poem to the customers and get everyone in the pub to sign off on the back of the paper that she did it. She did better and had the entire affair video-taped while performing atop a table. When she finished, the entire pub erupted in wild applause.

She said it was fun.

[www.bartleby.com]

YMMV.
Posted by: zeppo2
Date: June 13, 2011 07:42PM
Take an organized walk with London Walks (http://www.walks.com/). If so inclined, make it an evening pub walk, where you walk for a bit, learn some history, stop at a pub for a beer, and repeat two more time.
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: June 13, 2011 09:35PM
This isn't cheap, but a fast and very exciting way to see the city from the river:
[www.thamesribexperience.com]
You can sometimes get discounts by having a train ticket or coupon.

zeppo2
Take an organized walk with London Walks (http://www.walks.com/). If so inclined, make it an evening pub walk, where you walk for a bit, learn some history, stop at a pub for a beer, and repeat two more time.
agree smiley IIRC, there are overview walks, pub walks, foodie walks, and--what I want to do next time--mudlarking walks along the Thames.

Only two days probably won't leave you enough time to visit the famous crossing and leave some of your own graffiti, but my very favorite webcam will help you feel as if you're in London anytime, day or night:
[www.abbeyroad.com]

Perhaps the most important thing to do is make plans for a return visit!
Posted by: zeppo2
Date: June 13, 2011 10:27PM
I do mudlarking on my own every time I visit London. Finding bits of 18th century pipes is the bomb, and it's so easy to do, though the LondonWalks mudlarking is surely excellent!
Posted by: haikuman
Date: June 14, 2011 03:57AM
Pack a lunch because I hear the food sucks tongue sticking out smileygrinning smiley devil smiley

“Stay Hungry Stay Foolish"
Steve Jobs

"There are only two mantras yum and yuk mine is yum "
Bernard Mickey Wrangle<>Tom Robbins<> "Still Life With Woodpecker"

"There is a fine line between a rut and a groove"
G.D. Kittredge III

"

Posted by: pinion
Date: June 14, 2011 06:41AM
I'd say the Tower of London should be at the top of anyones list. If you wait up front when you get in the Beefeaters should have a tour starting up every so often that doesn't last too long. Then visit a couple of the different buildings and make sure you go see the crown jewels. It's totally worth it. I'd also take the tube to Piccadilly Circus and just hand out walking around there for a bit.

---“What you permit, you promote. What you allow, you encourage. What you condone, you own.”
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: June 14, 2011 08:30AM
haikuman
Pack a lunch because I hear the food sucks

No way. Might have been true a few generations ago, but certainly not now. And, should you be vegetarian, it's very easy to eat out in the UK: menus are posted and veggie options are clearly marked.
Posted by: Anthony
Date: June 14, 2011 09:27AM
These are really great. I'll check out all suggestions and let you know what I do.
Thanks!

Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared. - Buddha...

anthonysalvo.com
Date: June 14, 2011 09:53AM
A-Polly
haikuman

No way. Might have been true a few generations ago, but certainly not now. And, should you be vegetarian, it's very easy to eat out in the UK: menus are posted and veggie options are clearly marked.
agree smiley The food in large swaths of the US is far worse than most anywhere in the UK. People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2011 09:54AM by davester.
Posted by: haikuman
Date: June 14, 2011 10:41AM
davester
A-Polly
haikuman

agree smiley The food in large swaths of the US is far worse than most anywhere in the UK. People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

I did say """I heard""" and I readily admit I have no experience in London. I do not live in the US so my glasshouse is clearly foreign *(:>* Now as to the information I have received I will share many of my students have recently been to London and England they have shared that the best food is Italian
in London.

I hope your experience is awesome Anthony. I hope you also will share with us your experience including the food situation . As it still might be a good idea to start a good diet when visiting England tongue sticking out smileygrinning smiley devil smiley

Edit: """The food in large swaths of the US is far worse than most anywhere in the UK. People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones."""

errr davster you are exposing your genius and and ignorance simultaneously *(:>*

[www.timeout.com]

Rudie

“Stay Hungry Stay Foolish"
Steve Jobs

"There are only two mantras yum and yuk mine is yum "
Bernard Mickey Wrangle<>Tom Robbins<> "Still Life With Woodpecker"

"There is a fine line between a rut and a groove"
G.D. Kittredge III

"

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2011 10:54AM by haikuman.
Posted by: polychrome
Date: June 14, 2011 11:52AM
Good food in London was harder to come by in the past but not so much now. The coffee has even gotten better. Sure, there are crappy eateries as there are everywhere you go. I had two terrible Italian meals in Rome recently in addition to excellent ones. Last week I spent two days in East London dining in/around Brick Lane and White Chapel. Excellent Pakistani and Bangalore food in those areas! The first bagel (spelled "beigel" there) shop in Britain is also located on Brick Lane and quite good. Soho has added some good eats in recent years.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 189
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020