advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Did you ever get struck by lightning?
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 17, 2011 09:07PM
Or were near an object that was struck by lightning?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2011 09:17PM by space-time.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Did you even get struck by lightning?
Posted by: OWC Jamie
Date: June 17, 2011 09:14PM
Twice. Both times too close for comfort. Once while driving, power transformer got blown up right in front of me - flash blinded me, literally could not see at 55mph, braked, felt the edge of the road, and managed to not go in the ditch. Second time while packing the car for vacation, I was in the garage and lightning struck the pine tree in the back yard. I was just coming out of the garage and the shockwave hit me before the sound really - it split the tree, blew the bark off of it for 50'+ on one side (it was amazing how little the pieces were too). And unbeknownst to me, it melted the phone lines underground - shorting them out. The cops were at our house a couple times while we were gone because our phone kept calling 911.

Good Luck!
Jamie Dresser
Other World Computing
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 17, 2011 09:19PM
OWC Jamie
... The cops were at our house a couple times while we were gone because our phone kept calling 911.

same happened to me about a year ago (July 4th) when phone was dead but it clicked 911 along with other phone numbers with lots of 1s and 2s. Dead phone was just verizon incompetence, not act of God.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: June 17, 2011 09:21PM
Yeah, once. It happened when I was stationed at Osan Air Base Korea. I was working on a WSC-3 satellite radio when lightning struck a tree that was probably less than 100 feet away. There was the flash of lightning, and an instantaneous sound of thunder. My hands were in the radio and I just about wet my pants. After I got over my shock, I went outside with my buddies to investigate the tree that had just exploded. Smart huh...
Re: Did you ever get struck by lightning?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: June 17, 2011 09:29PM
I was leaning against a metal concession stand with 2 friends at a bluegrass festival when a lightning storm came up. I stepped forward and was going to turn around and tell them they'd better not lean on the metal when they both got struck. One of them grabbed his butt and yelped and the other one collapsed, but got up before anyone called an ambulance. Someone there said that if just one of us had been touching the metal he would probably have been killed.
Posted by: mstudio
Date: June 17, 2011 09:31PM
Years ago we were on the causeway near Tampa Florida during a storm. It felt like we were being chased by the storm, lightening was striking all around us. Trees were exploding to the left and right, but the most incredible thing was the fireball in the Bay as the lightening hit the water. We were totally freaking out hoping that the rubber tires of our VW bus would ground us if we were struck. I have never seen anything Ike that again.
Posted by: Black
Date: June 17, 2011 09:58PM
I don't know. Maybe. Would I remember it?

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: slbett
Date: June 17, 2011 10:22PM
66 times in the the the the head. Man that's gotta hurt.
Posted by: davec
Date: June 17, 2011 10:31PM
When I was 12 years old a large elm tree, 25 feet from the back door of my grandparent's lakeside cabin, got hit by lightning. The air "crackled" just prior to the strike. It blew out a 25 foot piece of the tree. Scary stuff.

Dave

...on the trailing edge of technology.
Posted by: blooz
Date: June 17, 2011 10:54PM
Yeah, but then she divorced me.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: lafinfil
Date: June 17, 2011 10:55PM
blooz
Yeah, but then she divorced me.

: -D

Posted by: DaviDC.
Date: June 17, 2011 11:13PM
Not directly, but so close to a strike that I felt charged.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 17, 2011 11:27PM
.....it was a SHOCK....to the system.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: lost in space
Date: June 17, 2011 11:44PM
I've never been, but a coworker was struck twice. She also could ruin electronic items by just touching them. I replaced more modules in her computers than any other in our building. I think the she had some weird electronic or magnetic field. Her husband told me he was sure of it. I guess he would know.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 18, 2011 12:56AM
Several times.

The real problem was that I was in a five-hour firefight at the time, so that was really distracting.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 18, 2011 12:57AM
Once saw a report on the local news with the reporter claiming the reason you were safe in your vehicle was because of the tires. I sent him an email laughing at his stupidity.

The reason you are safe in your vehicle is because the lightning travels along the outside of the metal vehicle (a physical principle) and then goes to ground. If the lightning can travel tens of thousands of feet through the air it is ludicrous to think the 1/2" of rubber (or the 4" sidewall if you wish) on the tire is what is saving you.

mstudio
hoping that the rubber tires of our VW bus would ground us if we were struck.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Kate
Date: June 18, 2011 01:15AM
We were drycamping on a plateau overlooking a dam in Wyoming a few years ago. There were 7 rigs, all Lazy Daze (Lazy Daze are aluminum bodies, not fiberglass). There was an amazing lightshow going on (it was the 4th of July), and we had a great view. After the fireworks ended, a huge storm came through and we could see lightning all around us for miles.

All of a sudden, the lighning hit right in the middle of where we were all parked, LOUD and very bright, but fortunately it didn't hit any of us.

Did scare us a lot though.

And there was a burn mark in the dirt with a few small melted rocks the next day.

Close as I ever want to come, although I have heard of a few RVs getting hit, with lots of electrical damage. We have a whole house surge protector on the rig, and apparently, rigs equipped with one suffer less damage than those without, but it's still pretty ugly.

Kate
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 18, 2011 01:26AM
I sent him an email laughing at his stupidity.

Well, that showed him!

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: June 18, 2011 03:34AM
Been close a few times, which includes being in planes that were hit, but the on ground experience that gave me nightmares was at Boy Scout Camp one summer, when I walking down the trail from the main camp past the secondary campfire pit seating area towards the, then new, lower "river camp" during a sudden thunder storm. A few lightning bolts hit around the camp area, and then I saw lightning strike the lower camp near a few scouts scampering around, already scared sh!tless from the storm and a fire that had been started by a strike a couple of hundred feet from them. Well, dopey me thought to myself, "gee, I'm glad THAT [last, close] lightning struck near them, rather than me..." and then, BLAM!!!, before I could complete the thought, I felt every hair on my body stand on end (and I was a hairy guy even back then) and the next lightning bolt hit the big tree just a few feet away from me, pretty much cutting the tree in half, and literally knocking me off my feet.

I tried to regain my composure and claw my way onto one of the campfire pit seats (logs and boulders), though I felt almost paralyzed from the experience. Part of the tree had caught fire, and I tried to think of what to do next. Thankfully, under the circumstances, the rain began to pour, and extinguished the fire. I sat where I was for quite awhile, and sorta directed traffic for the few people that went back and forth. The severed part of the tree blocked the trail, so people had to climb around it to get through. I eventually stumbled back to the main camp, and vowed to never make fun of others having a close call ever again... and threw my underwear away. When lightning gets too close, I'm still frightened to this day.

///

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 18, 2011 08:26AM
.....yes.....I then gained these phastasmagorical powers and went on to become the local superhero.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Spock
Date: June 18, 2011 08:45AM
I've got more chance of being hit by lightning, twice, than winning the Lotto. wink smiley

Comedy Central: Best news channel that isn't a news channel.

Fox News: Best comedy channel that isn't a comedy channel.
Posted by: btfc
Date: June 18, 2011 03:29PM
[forums.macresource.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 182
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018