8 - Cube

7 - Mobile Me

6 - Apple III

5 - Motorola ROKR E1

4 - Lisa

3 - QuickTake camera

2 - iTunes

1 - Apple TV

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Apple's 10 worst products ever
Posted by: jmbuzeta
Date: June 19, 2011 05:57AM
what's the reason of iTunes being on your 2nd rank of Apple's worst products ever? share your thoughts. smiling smiley
Posted by: Forrest
Date: June 19, 2011 06:23AM
Items 1 and 2 clearly don't belong on that list IMHO.
Posted by: mlfrank
Date: June 19, 2011 08:06AM
Read the comments on the article - there are folks who do not like iTunes but question why it is on the list. It would be good if the writer's boss saw these comments.
Posted by: Anthony
Date: June 19, 2011 08:10AM
Full of misinformation and poor perspective. Bad writing intended to supply pages hits...

Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared. - Buddha...

anthonysalvo.com
Posted by: Black
Date: June 19, 2011 08:11AM
jmbuzeta
what's the reason of iTunes being on your 2nd rank of Apple's worst products ever? share your thoughts. smiling smiley

The Cube? Why, speedy, why? smiling smiley

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Date: June 19, 2011 08:18AM
Things I never knew:
G4 Cube died a natural death as sales of Mac Mini, which was relatively inexpensive, grew.
The Mac Mini came out while the Cube was still in production?

Motorola cooperated with Apple to make Motorola ROKR E1 - the first iTunes integrated smartphone in 2005. It allowed users to transfer 100 tracks of music. It had endless nested menus which made music transferring slow. As a result, users selected iPod Nano instead.

The Nano owes its success to a failed cell phone?

Posted by: tenders
Date: June 19, 2011 08:24AM
Except for iTunes, which I agree does not belong on the list, I never owned any of those products and only barely used the round mouse, which WAS terrible.

The QuickTake camera is pointless by today's standards but as I recall worked amazingly compared to its competitors at the time.
Date: June 19, 2011 08:25AM
Anthony
Full of misinformation and poor perspective. Bad writing intended to supply pages hits...

There's some wrong stuff in there too.

Posted by: DaviDC.
Date: June 19, 2011 08:41AM
Slow news day.
...must write article...

Posted by: archipirata
Date: June 19, 2011 09:12AM
I still have an Apple TV. I even have the original black mouse, keyboard, and install disks. And it booted fine recently. Just can seem to throw it out. As a working computer though, it really did suck, though not as much as my powermac 6300CD, now that was a real turd.

Athens, OH
Posted by: jmbuzeta
Date: June 19, 2011 09:22AM
I totally disagree including iTunes on your list. iPhones,Ipods,Ipads will be useless without it. smiling smiley
Posted by: JPK
Date: June 19, 2011 09:47AM
I agree with several of those, but I would also say a couple of those products would also make the best products list?

I can think of a lot worse products than iTunes or Mobieme. I would also move the round mouse upto the #1 position!

JPK
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: June 19, 2011 09:53AM
Black
Things I never knew:
G4 Cube died a natural death as sales of Mac Mini, which was relatively inexpensive, grew.
The Mac Mini came out while the Cube was still in production?

Ridiculous article, the Cube was stopped in July 2001 and the Mini didn't appear until January 2005.

Click on the slideshow to see the 10 worst products ever launched by Apple that were doomed for failure:

I would like all my failures to be like iTunes.

Paul

Posted by: deckeda
Date: June 19, 2011 10:16AM
10. Pippin
Yep. Poorly conceived and marketed. Doomed at the outset.

9. Round mouse
My hand still hurts.

8. Cube
Not applicable. Poor sales alone do not make a poor, let alone a "failed" product. See also IIfx.

7. MobileMe
Kinda agree here. They just never made it as competitive, as "must-have" as they should. Overall it just needed to be a little cheaper.

6. Apple///
Expensive without significant extra performance, so it belongs here.

5. ROKR E1
By Apple's standards of usability, a real failure yes. But putting iTunes onto a phone should be seen as foreshadowing, certainly. In other news, the Sony Soundman/Walkman was big and clunky at first.

4. Lisa
See Apple///, although it gets points for the graphical UI later improved upon on the Mac.

3. QuickTake
I can't fathom by what measurement this could be considered a failure. Because it didn't (again) sell like hotcakes? Ooh, I know, because all the Japanese companies had better, cheaper digital cameras available. Not.

2. iTunes
No, no no. It's Quicktime Windows users hate first, THEN iTunes. Windows users would rather use stuff called for example (and I am not making this up) foobar2000. Apropos, I'd say.

1. AppleTV
Sure, forget or minimize all it does better than any other media box and why that's important, let alone beneficial. After all, many of our otherwise esteemed members here do as well. (Cue the inevitable DiVX, AVI, WMP, Flash and other outcries.)
Posted by: freeradical
Date: June 19, 2011 10:21AM

This article should be ranked near the top of ten worst top-ten lists ever!

jest smiley
Posted by: GGD
Date: June 19, 2011 11:01AM
I didn't see the PowerBook 5300 on that list.
Posted by: zeppo2
Date: June 19, 2011 12:12PM
Pretty bad list, as everyone has pointed out. I'd be tempted to put the pizza box Performa series here. Big, ugly, grey, slow, but paved the way for the return of Steve Jobs and his hiring of Jonathan Ivy and the focus on design in the iMac.
Posted by: btfc
Date: June 19, 2011 12:41PM
"Pretty bad list, as everyone has pointed out"

Yep. People who hate iTunes generally do not know how to use it.
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: June 19, 2011 12:53PM
What, no third generation Shuffle?

I like the round mouse.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: June 19, 2011 01:23PM
I almost reported the original post. Articles like this are frequently click bait. I am too lazy to search but there was a nearly identical article about a month ago.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: June 19, 2011 01:42PM
I've owned at least 3 Cubes over the years and this person must be nuts, my Cube is offended by this, I had
talk with it and it's ok now.

The 6200CD Performa should be on there, owned one of those, d@mn that thing was slow.

Grateful11
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: June 19, 2011 02:19PM
THIS should have been on that list, probably near the top:

The Apple iPod Hi-Fi. I think Apple sold, like, seven of these.

It is what it is.
Posted by: hal
Date: June 19, 2011 02:20PM
Just say NO to 10 page slide show 'articles'!
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: June 19, 2011 02:33PM
Speedy
8 - Cube
5 - Motorola ROKR E1
4 - Lisa
3 - QuickTake camera
2 - iTunes
1 - Apple TV

No, not the worst to all those, and especially no to Apple TV. This product that they apparently deemed worst-of-the-worst is by far the best selling video streamer device with 55% market share:

Apple Dominates Video Streamer Market

Beyond that, consider what the combination of iPad, Apple TV, and AirPlay brings:

iPad 2 AirPlay Mirroring Video Walkthrough – Most Amazing Tech Feature Ever

Worst-of-the-worst my ass!

And by the way, WTH, is a Motorola product doing on an Apple products list? This article is just click bait FUD. Apple's worst are generally better than competitors' best.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2011 02:39PM by Article Accelerator.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: June 19, 2011 02:34PM
Grateful11
I've owned at least 3 Cubes over the years and this person must be nuts, my Cube is offended by this, I had

The 6200CD Performa should be on there, owned one of those, d@mn that thing was slow.

The Cube was expensive, did not actually save desk space (the Cube, audio adapter, and power supply made for a sprawling mess and that is before you add speakers, keyboard, mouse, and display), and not as easy to upgrade as the Power Mac. The iMac was cheaper at the time and so was the entry level Power Mac G4. I went with the top of the line iMac and never regretted it.

I do agree that the 6200 was a dog. Not sure why the Cube made the list and not the 5200/5300/6200/6300 (excepting the fine 6360). Those were true dogs.
Date: June 19, 2011 02:39PM
btfc

BS. I've used iTunes since version 2. I don't hate it on the Mac, but neither do I love it.

As mentioned, on Windows, people hate QuickTIme first, and then iTunes second. As a heavy iTunes user, I am pained when I need to use iTunes on Windows. I've never gotten the thing to work correctly, going back to the original Windows release. There's always some bug that only effects Windows iTunes.
Date: June 19, 2011 02:41PM
N-OS X-tasy!

No kidding.
Date: June 19, 2011 02:41PM
Mike Johnson
What, no third generation Shuffle?

Agree again.
Date: June 19, 2011 02:44PM
deckeda
3. QuickTake
I can't fathom by what measurement this could be considered a failure. Because it didn't (again) sell like hotcakes? Ooh, I know, because all the Japanese companies had better, cheaper digital cameras available. Not.

Because it was a piece of crap, even for the time. The whole market for digital cameras was craptastic. Devices were immature and limited compared to traditional cameras. I own a QuickTake 150, believe me, it is nothing to brag about. A disposable camera was a better product.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2011 02:47PM by silvarios.
Date: June 19, 2011 02:49PM
hal
Just say NO to 10 page slide show 'articles'!

Yes, that's why I didn't click on the link.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2011 02:50PM by silvarios.
Posted by: btfc
Date: June 19, 2011 03:07PM
"BS. I've used iTunes since version 2. I don't hate it on the Mac, but neither do I love it."

So what part of "Generally" and "Hate" don't you understand? Talk about B.S.
Date: June 19, 2011 03:25PM
btfc
"BS. I've used iTunes since version 2. I don't hate it on the Mac, but neither do I love it."

So what part of "Generally" and "Hate" don't you understand? Talk about B.S.

Forgot the rest of my post?

Let me state it plainly. I hate Windows iTunes. I tolerate the Mac version of iTunes. Since most of the world uses iTunes on Windows, you can see why the hate to love measurement weighs to the former. Windows iTunes is bad code. Mac iTunes is no great shakes either.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2011 03:27PM by silvarios.
Posted by: GeneL
Date: June 19, 2011 04:04PM
Personally, I hate the extending of iTunes into areas other than just systematizing my music files.

I just had one of my apps announce that there was an update, but rather than a simple download and install, I was required to "log in" to iTunes and go through a convoluted process trying to find the update link.

The update process was even more obstructed when I couldn't remember my "Apple ID" or my password, since I never use them. I have rarely had a reason to open iTunes over the years.

I didn't see any reason for the hoops that iTunes put me through, especially since, as far as I remember, I didn't buy the app through iTunes in the first place.

It seems as if Apple is taking over what I want to do on my computer and getting in between me and the developers that I have bought or want to buy applications from. To me this is a load of crap!

Also, when I downloaded some video, instead of ending up in my Downloads Folder or on my desktop (default download destination, the video ended up in iTunes and was immediately opened with Quicktime.

This was not at all what I wanted, since I don't particularly want to ever use iTunes (I'm not a fan of MP3 music) and I resent having it automatically set itself as the arbiter of where I put and store my files and what I use to play them.

Each time a new update for iTunes shows up, I really hesitate to install it, since it seems to take over my computer, more and more.

I don't like it! I don't like it! I don't like it! cursing smiley

Anyone else have these problems with iTunes or is it just me? old fogey smiley

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Date: June 19, 2011 04:38PM
GeneL
This was not at all what I wanted, since I don't particularly want to ever use iTunes (I'm not a fan of MP3 music)

Don't fight the power, Gene.

(BTW, you do know that iTunes handles a lot more media types than just MP3, right?)

Anyone else have these problems with iTunes or is it just me? old fogey smiley

I'm sure it's just you. big grin smiley
Date: June 19, 2011 04:43PM
silvarios
deckeda
3. QuickTake

Because it was a piece of crap, even for the time.

In 1994? No, I don't think so:

[www.pcmag.com]
"Arguably the first consumer digital camera in the U.S...."

Devices were immature and limited compared to traditional cameras.

Very true.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: June 19, 2011 05:16PM
silvarios
Grateful11

The Cube was expensive, did not actually save desk space (the Cube, audio adapter, and power supply made for a sprawling mess and that is before you add speakers, keyboard, mouse, and display), and not as easy to upgrade as the Power Mac. The iMac was cheaper at the time and so was the entry level Power Mac G4. I went with the top of the line iMac and never regretted it.

I do agree that the 6200 was a dog. Not sure why the Cube made the list and not the 5200/5300/6200/6300 (excepting the fine 6360). Those were true dogs.

The Cube was expensive no doubt, I waited until I found a Mint condition one with everything BIN for
$250 many years ago when most were going $600 and up, the guy just wanted to unload it. Got the box
and all. Bought another last year just for the power supply BIN for $60, it also had an Airport card in it
but it's pretty rough, several cracks in the case, sort of sad Cube but I'll keep it for parts.

The Cube is just so darn cute and cool looking winking smiley It's still an attention grabber.

I'm surprised the 20th Anniversary Mac didn't make the list also.

Grateful11
Posted by: deckeda
Date: June 19, 2011 05:16PM
silvarios
btfc

BS. I've used iTunes since version 2. I don't hate it on the Mac, but neither do I love it.

As mentioned, on Windows, people hate QuickTIme first, and then iTunes second. As a heavy iTunes user, I am pained when I need to use iTunes on Windows. I've never gotten the thing to work correctly, going back to the original Windows release. There's always some bug that only effects Windows iTunes.

My experience with iTunes on Windows is very limited but it or Quicktime has *always* been some kind of problem. I realize that's statistically meaningless, and that for most people it does work. The legions of iPhone customers without a Mac prove this.

But I do wonder why Apple doesn't improve the software. They know it's not acceptable to take (an official, if it exists) position of "just buy a Mac"---certainly not as iOS continues to gain popularity.

I just tried to install QuickTime on a fresh Win7 machine and it wouldn't run. Installed fine. Can't imagine trying to run iTunes also on it.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 19, 2011 05:36PM
i, 2, 8, and 9 don't belong on the list.

And as for the Cube saving space, it certainly did that. I don't keep the power brick on the table, true, Otherwise, there is nothing attached to the Cube that I wouldn't have attached to any other computer taking it's place except for the G4 iMacs and beyond.

I've had external speakers on all my Macs. And the little G4 Orbs take up less room than any of them except the Creatures.

Apple should have provided a How-to video for the round mouse in System Prefs, like it does for the trackpads and Magic Track Pad, so people could use it properly. I couldn't believe the number of idiot posts that said (How do you know which way it's supposed to go?!" And gripping the mouse with your fingertips and thumb? Rookie mistake, unless you have teeny, tiny hands.

I never had a G3 iMac, but my girlfriend gave me her mouse and I used it for quite awhile. But the Kensington TurboMouse 2.0 was too good to ignore.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Kramerica
Date: June 19, 2011 09:58PM
archipirata
I still have an Apple TV. I even have the original black mouse, keyboard, and install disks. And it booted fine recently. Just can seem to throw it out. As a working computer though, it really did suck, though not as much as my powermac 6300CD, now that was a real turd.

That's a Macintosh TV, not the Apple TV they put on the list!
You don't see many of those. I'd hold on to it too.
Posted by: Kramerica
Date: June 19, 2011 10:05PM
N-OS X-tasy!

The HiFi itself is actually pretty sweet , but in my opinion, the high price killed it. I see many iPod/iPhone docks nowadays that seem very similar even though they likely don't sound as good. Once those started coming out in droves, the HiFi was probably an even harder sell.

This list was terrible.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 19, 2011 11:28PM
tenders
Except for iTunes, which I agree does not belong on the list, I never owned any of those products and only barely used the round mouse, which WAS terrible.

The QuickTake camera is pointless by today's standards but as I recall worked amazingly compared to its competitors at the time.

the QuickTake is a Kodak DC20 that was rebadged. Don't call it an Apple invention.
Date: June 20, 2011 12:33AM
Not according to my citation above, Racer X. Do you have a reference?
Date: June 20, 2011 01:51AM
Article Accelerator
Not according to my citation above, Racer X. Do you have a reference?

As far as I know, the QuickTake 100, 100 Plus, and 150 were Kodaks (Chinon built???) and the QuickTake 200 was a rebadged Fuji.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 175
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020