Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $524.75 ( -6.95 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Vizio VX37L hit by lightning
Posted by: Mike Sellers
Date: June 20, 2011 08:54AM
Big thunderstorm came through a few days ago. Some outlets and lights are out in the house. And two TVs, a Buffalo router and a garage door opener (so far). The Vizio powers up and I get a blue screen. AV inputs, one on the bottom and one on the side, both work, though there is a humming sound coming through the audio. Neither of the HDMI or cable inputs on the bottom work. I get a "No signal" message on the screen. I can't check out the other inputs since I don't have devices that connect through them.

Hopefully, it's just a fuse but I haven't had it checked out yet. It's out of warranty so does anyone have experience opening these up? Is it an easy DIY job?

Also, anyone in the Alpharetta/Atlanta area know of a good service shop? A new one costs $500 so I don't want to spend too much repairing this. I may make a insurance claim in the electrical repair work is expensive enough to justify it but I'd sure like to salvage this set since it's been really good.

And yes, I had the TV on a surge protector. DVR, VCR and DVD player were unaffected, just the TV.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Vizio VX37L hit by lightning
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 20, 2011 08:57AM
I'd first look at the surge suppressor warranty. They usually DO have a warranty... Trip-Lite was the best, as I recall. Of course the el-cheapo generic Chinese models... well, no real warranty at all.
Date: June 20, 2011 09:08AM
Yeah, I kept all that warranty info when I went around and installed the surge protectors a couple of years ago. This one is one I got from Staples but I think it did have a warranty. Not sure what hoops they make you jump through to get the money.
Posted by: Trouble
Date: June 20, 2011 09:13AM
I bought one of those $100 Belkin surge protectors at Costco and it worked like a champ. Lightening, or something, hit it and killed it. HD Tivo, Plasma, receiver, and everything else was fine. Belkin said to ship them the dead unit. They replaced it at no charge other than shipping to them.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: June 20, 2011 10:41AM
Mike Sellers
Also, anyone in the Alpharetta/Atlanta area know of a good service shop? A new one costs $500 so I don't want to spend too much repairing this. I may make a insurance claim in the electrical repair work is expensive enough to justify it but I'd sure like to salvage this set since it's been really good.

when my son cracked the screen of my HDTV i got an insurance estimate from Norman's Electronics. my brother said they've been THE go to place for electronic repairs for years. btw, the repair would have cost almost twice as much as the TV. the set was new enough to be covered by Amex purchase protection so they replaced the tv.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: June 20, 2011 11:19AM
This is exactly the reason I don't watch TV and still churn my own butter!
Date: June 20, 2011 12:27PM
Thanks gray. Kudzu lists a Duluth location (much closer to me) but their website only lists Atlanta. Hmmmmm. Also, Kudzu ratings are all over the map, with lots of complaints about bad customer service. Not sure how reliable those are but they don't respond to bad reviews which isn't a good sign. But I'll probably go ahead and give them a call.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: June 20, 2011 01:09PM
Mike Sellers
Thanks gray. Kudzu lists a Duluth location (much closer to me) but their website only lists Atlanta. Hmmmmm. Also, Kudzu ratings are all over the map, with lots of complaints about bad customer service. Not sure how reliable those are but they don't respond to bad reviews which isn't a good sign. But I'll probably go ahead and give them a call.

my experience with them was okay. though they wanted to keep the TV for a few days i managed them to convince them to take a quick look while i waited and give me the paperwork i required. we both knew that the TV was not worth fixing; why clog up their work desk for something that would take them 15 minutes.

while i waited i did get the impression they were overrrun with business so i imagine a whole lot of ticked off customers for a variety of reasons. they seem to be the major game in town if not the only. it also doesn't surprise me that an old school business doesn't respond to online reviews. their word of mouth over decades of work probably speaks for itself. generally, it's your unhappy customers who bother to post; the others are too busy enjoying their appliances.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: June 20, 2011 06:00PM
What brand was the surge protector? I've heard that most only keep their surge protection ability for about three years. Not sure if that's true or not.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: [macswap.org] LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: westom
Date: June 21, 2011 09:03AM
If the protector is grossly undersized, then a surge too tiny to damage any appliance will destroy that protector. It gets many to wish that protector did protection. Reality, superior protection inside the appliance protected that appliance.

Protectors wear out. If grossly undersized, then it wears out in the first surge. If properly sized (if it actually does protection), then it remains functional for generations. But then nobody would know a surge existed. Only the few who actually know this stuff would recommend it.

That TV's protector did exactly what its numeric specifications said it would do.

When selling a $4 power strip with some ten cent protector parts, then the manufacturer will replace a destroyed protector multiple times and still have obscene profits. Then consumers will recommend it - even though it did not do nor claim to do protection. TV damaged because protectors that actually do protection (and costs about $1 per protected appliance) were not installed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login