advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $102.64 ( +1.58 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Can you send food through the mail? UPS? FedEx?
Posted by: Jerry®
Date: June 25, 2011 10:21AM
Is it possible to send certain foods through the mail? Ground USPS? FedEx? UPS? I have a friend who has helped me out a lot and all he wants in return is some good Illinois corn. I think he only lives a couple states away. Is this possible?

16GB WIFI (3rd gen)
My Phone:
iPhone 5 (iOS 7.1.2 • Verizon)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Can you send food through the mail? UPS? FedEx?
Posted by: freeradical
Date: June 25, 2011 10:35AM
I don't see why not. Companies like this ship food priority overnight via FedEx.

[www.markys.com]
Posted by: dmann
Date: June 25, 2011 10:41AM
You can send it pretty much any way you want, but since it is fresh food, you'll need to protect it against bugs. For fresh corn, I'd recommend vacuum sealing it if you can. If not, a few well sealed food storage bags should work.

If they ask what you are sending, "Cookies" is usually a safe reply. smiling smiley

DM
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: June 25, 2011 10:46AM
Folks have been mailing food in the U.S. for over a hundred years.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: June 25, 2011 10:56AM
Jerry®
Is it possible to send certain foods through the mail? Ground USPS? FedEx? UPS? I have a friend who has helped me out a lot and all he wants in return is some good Illinois corn. I think he only lives a couple states away. Is this possible?

I live in California and regularly get shipments of live Maine lobster from family and friends. Don't ship any fresh food by USPS parcel post.

When fascism Comes to America it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying the cross - Sinclair Lewis
Posted by: Jerry®
Date: June 25, 2011 10:59AM
So for fresh corn - vacuum seal it if possible - but doesn't need any dry ice or anything right?

thanks everyone!

16GB WIFI (3rd gen)
My Phone:
iPhone 5 (iOS 7.1.2 • Verizon)
Posted by: AllGold
Date: June 25, 2011 12:30PM
If you're talking about fresh-picked corn on the cob, you won't need to do much more than just throw it in a box.

Posted by: dmann
Date: June 25, 2011 12:33PM
Jerry®
So for fresh corn - vacuum seal it if possible - but doesn't need any dry ice or anything right?

thanks everyone!

Dry ice? The stuff isn't even refrigerated in the grocery store, so no need for that at all.

DM
Posted by: blooz
Date: June 25, 2011 12:45PM
i once fed-exed two red peppers to my daughter in college because she loves them and they cost too much in NYC.
I also regularly send my older sister all kinds of specialty foods, including some cheeses and jellies and things in liquid—just wrap them GOOD. I mail them first class and they get there within three days normally.

Fresh corn you should fed-ex just so your friend can enjoy the freshness.

Be here now. Be someplace else later. Is that so complicated?
Zen is not easy. It takes effort to attain nothingness. And then what do you have? Bupkes.

Western Massachusetts
Posted by: lost in space
Date: June 25, 2011 01:04PM
Just wrap it well in zip-lock bags. Pack it and ship it as soon as possible after picking.

Pat
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: June 25, 2011 01:32PM
They ask if there's anything liquid, fragile or perishable sometimes when you mail a box. Corn doesn't fit that - if it is perishable, it's the Post Office's fault for slow delivery.
Posted by: GGD
Date: June 25, 2011 02:00PM
blooz
i once fed-exed two red peppers to my daughter in college because she loves them and they cost too much in NYC.

How cheap is your FedEx? Or how expensive were these peppers in NYC?
Posted by: blooz
Date: June 25, 2011 03:56PM
GGD
blooz

i'm sure the peppers in NYC were cheaper than me sending them Fed ex. But it was a lark for me, and a nice surprise for her. Well worth the money when i hear her telling people about it years later.

Be here now. Be someplace else later. Is that so complicated?
Zen is not easy. It takes effort to attain nothingness. And then what do you have? Bupkes.

Western Massachusetts
Posted by: rgG
Date: June 25, 2011 04:13PM
blooz
GGD
blooz

i'm sure the peppers in NYC were cheaper than me sending them Fed ex. But it was a lark for me, and a nice surprise for her. Well worth the money when i hear her telling people about it years later.

"Priceless!" grinning smiley

Alpharetta, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Buzz
Date: June 26, 2011 02:19AM
Just don't send the corn via Hawaii, and you should be OK. Vacuum sealing asap after picking should also help keep the good flavor and vitamins intact. Bon appetít.

///
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login