advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Need phone recommendation
Posted by: lipskidder
Date: July 02, 2011 05:51PM
Looking at Droid Incredible 2 or Droid X2. I am reading a lot about both but want personal thoughts or info to share. Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2011 06:47PM by lipskidder.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Need phone reccomendation
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 02, 2011 06:12PM
i've done a fair amount of development work on android and it only makes me appreciate my iphone more.

but you're probably set on android.

Posted by: Dakota
Date: July 02, 2011 06:17PM
For a Mac user it is insane to choose anything other than an iPhone, but that is just me.

After you discover you're riding a dead horse, your best strategy is to dismount.
Posted by: Trouble
Date: July 02, 2011 06:20PM
Dakota
For a Mac user it is insane to choose anything other than an iPhone, but that is just me.

I wouldn't qualify that to just Mac users. smiling smiley
Posted by: vision63
Date: July 02, 2011 06:28PM
I've used both and it doesn't really matter. Both platforms are stellar.

I think the Droid 3 comes out on the 14th. I'm "sure" the new iPhone will have to be a dazzler whenever it comes out. It's gotta compete with a mafia of Android devices. The screen just has to get larger.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: July 02, 2011 06:29PM
Dakota

For once I agree.

Grateful11
Date: July 02, 2011 06:36PM
I am looking for family that having anything Mac related just isn't important. Verizon is having sales on Droids this weekend and their Feature phones just aren't anything to want. Only 1 of the 8 Features phones they had were even capable of video capture. Kinda forcing the family to get a Smartphone. Verizon has a great deal on Blackberry Bolds that are free for the first line and only 29.99 for the others on their plan. The Incredible 2 is 99.00 for their first line and 149.00 on the others.

I still have a Voyager Feature phone so don't really have that much experience with Smartphones.
Re: Need phone recommendation
Date: July 02, 2011 06:47PM
These damn dirty phones are so expensive! grrr
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 02, 2011 07:43PM
It's CRITICAL to realize that the cost of the phone itself is almost irrelevant when compared to the cost of the service.
Do. The. Math. The cost of the phone is typically equivalent to 1 to four months of the service, for which you will make a 2 year commitment. Yep. 24 months.

Buy the phone you are willing to use for two years. Buy something that will work for two years, and be 'futureproof' for two years.
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 02, 2011 07:53PM
Does this family have any iPod touches? The total cost of ownership might be lower for iPhones since they can port all of their software (especially favorite games) from their iPods.

lipskidder, the 'feature phones' sure could use an Apple make-over. For my daughter, all she really wants is a wifi-competent, text friendly phone. But they basically gut all of the feature phones to try to force you to upgrade to a full data plan.

We purchased a couple Samsung Impression before AT&T added the low-end data plans. They are pretty good texting phones, especially if someone already has an iPod touch. But certainly not as good as most of the more recent Android phones.

I also agree with cbelt - the initial cost, especially considering the likely downstream app purchases for an iPhone or Android device - means there's no real difference between $99 or $199 phones.
Date: July 02, 2011 10:08PM
No iPads. Just a family that likes to text and send photos and videos. I just couldn't stand to buy a feature phone that is already behind the tech and then be there still in two years. I always try to buy ahead. So I couldn't recommend any of those to them which is why we are trying to get them smart phones.

I am an over-thinker at times so i know where you are coming from, cbelt3. I am taking those costs into consideration. Thanks!
Posted by: silvarios
Date: July 02, 2011 11:01PM
Dakota

If you have a google account, Mac "compatibility" of Android is largely irrelevant. Contacts, calendar, and email will auto config/sync. Data (DRM free music/videos/etc) can be dragged over as a mass storage device.

I have several computers, at the current time, all are running Mac OS X (ssssshhhhhh…even the non Apple computers), but "mac compatibility never once crossed my mind when I bought my phone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2011 11:09PM by silvarios.
Posted by: neophyte
Date: July 03, 2011 08:20AM
I prefer the customization ability of the android's multiple screens over the iPhone. And free audible navigation. The incredble has a front facing camera for video chatting, as does the iPhone, but the X2 does not. X2 is larger and bulkier than the other 2.

Whatever you do, be sure to get a VZW smartphone BEFORE July 7, as July 6 is the last day to get unlimited smartphone data for $29.99 per month. Starting July 7, $30 will get you 2GB of monthly data on the smartphone. Those VZW customers currently with the $29.99 unlimited feature will be grandfathered in.

Also, if 4G LTE is available in your area, consider the LG Revolution. My personal observation is that it has many fewer customer complaints than the Thunderbolt or Charge.
Date: July 03, 2011 09:35AM
We decided on the Incredible 2. We knew that July 6 was the cut off and it turns out they had only two days left to use their 2 every 2 before it expired. Since they canceled that program, you only have 6 months past your date of eligibility to get a new phone to use it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 260
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020